In or out of the closet?

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Should players come out of the closet?

Yes, but I would find it awkward
15%
Yes, I would have no problem with it
43%
No, it would be too awkward
28%
I'm still not sure
13%

Total votes : 53

In or out of the closet?

Postby OnSong » Mon May 31, 2010 8:05 pm

Don't know if there is a thread for this but I thought I would put it out there...

In the light of the recent public conjecture, I would like to know what footballers of all levels out there think about team mates coming out of the closet.
You might want to share your own thoughts, you might not.
But at least leave your vote so we might get a gauge of the footballing public.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 545 times

Re: In or out of the closet?

Postby Q. » Mon May 31, 2010 8:42 pm

Wouldn't have a problem with it, but football clubs tend to be bastions of homophobia so it would take a pretty strong individual to want to out himself.

I haven't read Aker's article, but I have a feeling that was also the point he was trying to make.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby HH3 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:03 pm

I wouldnt have a problem with it at all. Its not like you can "catch gay" from them. Thats how they are. I like women. They like men. Who cares what they do in their private life.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon May 31, 2010 9:13 pm

Quichey wrote:Wouldn't have a problem with it, but football clubs tend to be bastions of homophobia so it would take a pretty strong individual to want to out himself.

I haven't read Aker's article, but I have a feeling that was also the point he was trying to make.

Agree Quichey, I reckon Aker's comments were meant as a mild criticism of the AFL clubs and the footy culture in general - that even though we are in the 21st century these clubs would still not feel comfortable in such a scenario. But as soon as Aker has something to say, then that is a licence for people to twist his words and meaning.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby heater31 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:30 pm

hackham_hawk_3 wrote:I wouldnt have a problem with it at all. Its not like you can "catch gay" from them. Thats how they are. I like women. They like men. Who cares what they do in their private life.

Provided they respect your taste then I'm the same too.
heater31

Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Media Park » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:01 am

*hides in shame*

I partially agree with Akka.

Not in the "it will destroy the fabric of a footy club" sense, but...

In a change room atmosphere, where there is nudity, butt slapping, and general filth being talked, I would find it awkward to be around a homosexual.

there are some things you don't do, like rip out your johnson and do the windmill if there was a female trainer in the room, because it would make them uncomfortable...

the reverse works for me. I would be uncomfortable if there was a bloke with a preference for other blokes slapping my butt, or viewing me in all my glory...

not many people will openly say it, but it's my opinion...
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Q. » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:35 am

You got tickets on yourself MP - god's gift to men ;) :lol:
Q.
Coach

Postby the big bang » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:38 am

i'd vote for "it's 100% up to them, and i wouldnt feel uncomfortable"

i dont' think they should.
i don't think they shouldn't.
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Strawb » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:13 am

I voted for yes It would not bother me. You are who you are and if you prefer men than females it is your choice. What you do behind closed doors and in your bedroom is your business.
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby Media Park » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:45 am

Quichey wrote:You got tickets on yourself MP - god's gift to men ;) :lol:

A few of the lads I've played with do this in the changerooms on the odd occasion, and there's no way known they would do it in front of someone they knew was gay.

I know my opinion is in the minority, but it's honest.
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby White Line Fever » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:57 am

MarblePark wrote:*hides in shame*

I partially agree with Akka.

Not in the "it will destroy the fabric of a footy club" sense, but...

In a change room atmosphere, where there is nudity, butt slapping, and general filth being talked, I would find it awkward to be around a homosexual.

there are some things you don't do, like rip out your johnson and do the windmill if there was a female trainer in the room, because it would make them uncomfortable...

the reverse works for me. I would be uncomfortable if there was a bloke with a preference for other blokes slapping my butt, or viewing me in all my glory...

not many people will openly say it, but it's my opinion...

No use being politically correct.
I'm with you MP.

Not that we have tickets on ourself, but i wouldn't get naked around women wether they are attracted to me or not as it's disrespectful to my missus.
Same goes for a gay bloke... if he is inclined towards men, then it's the same situation if it was a girl in the rooms.
But I'm all for gay blokes in everyday life, my cousin is, but not in a football club environment.
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:48 am

I agree with MP and the others
would be weird in the changeroom with a gay bloke.
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby OnSong » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:09 am

We probably need more votes, but it's interesting to get the general idea of what country and amateur footy players think.
It seems Akker raised a valid point but at the end of the day, if it's un-PC the public will always shoot you down.
I'm still unsure.
I can see what other posters are saying about showering with a gay guy and being like a straight guy showering with a woman.

But...

It's probably happening already and we don't know about it... :lol:
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Been liked: 545 times

Postby mypaddock » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:16 am

Can't see the problem with it. I'm comfortable enough with my own sexuality not to let such things make me feel uncomfortable.
Recently had one of my close mates 'come out' and he is treated no different around our group of friends. If anything, probably made our friendship with him stronger.
But I can understand how some people, within a footy club environment, could find it to be somewhat uncomfortable.

And as for Aker, good on him! If only we had more outspoken people like him in the football community. I'd take him any day over the media 'deadshits' we seem to have here in Adelaide. Probably the two most boring football clubs (Crows & Port), in terms of personalities, in the entire AFL.
mypaddock
League Bench Warmer

Postby Jabber » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:25 am

mypaddock wrote:Can't see the problem with it. I'm comfortable enough with my own sexuality not to let such things make me feel uncomfortable.
Recently had one of my close mates 'come out' and he is treated no different around our group of friends. If anything, probably made our friendship with him stronger.
But I can understand how some people, within a footy club environment, could find it to be somewhat uncomfortable.

And as for Aker, good on him! If only we had more outspoken people like him in the football community. I'd take him any day over the media 'deadshits' we seem to have here in Adelaide. Probably the two most boring football clubs (Crows & Port), in terms of personalities, in the entire AFL.

Unless he's walking around the changerooms with a great big johnny bulger i can't see the issue.
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby Jabber » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:33 am

The main issue i see with this "issue" being aired is that people are going to have an opinion on it, and unbeknown to them they may well be alienating one of thier very good mates...

It would be foolish to think that there weren't gay guys playing footy, your best mate on the field could be struggling with his sexuality, and to hear that you all of a sudden wouldnt be comfortable with him in the changerooms, even though there is a very good chance that he only thinks of u as a team mate, and someone that has just spilt blood for you on the field, would be extremely hard for any young footballer.

I think sometimes we need to take the blinkers off and take a step back, stop thinking of how u feel about it, and start to at least try and think of how any poor young dude would heel dealing with it in everyday life.

Far too often we think of ourselves. This appears to be another case of that. there is every chance that your gun centre half forward, or your number one centreman, may be struggling with their sexuality. He just wants to play footy with his mates, and can do so until he outs himself and alienates himself from all the selfish people.
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:42 am

i personally don't have a problem with it...
Last edited by woodublieve12 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3028 times
Been liked: 2404 times

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:43 am

mypaddock wrote:Can't see the problem with it. I'm comfortable enough with my own sexuality not to let such things make me feel uncomfortable.

I can see ya point mate
but I look at it from my point of view, we tend to make fun of gays and such other things (only between ourselves), like call ya mate a faggot if he does something u dont agree with
all tongue and cheek, it would change if one of the blokes in the change rooms was gay and out the closet cause he could take offence to it and could upset the whole side.
also what about the pat on the ass when he does something good or vice versa, could become awkward as you would think in yoir mind maybe he likes this, or if he does it to you maybe he is doing it cause he wants to touch my ass not cause I done a good job.
Alot of footballers would struggle with it initially I think.
As people have said though, could be likely some of us are already playing with them.
Think it is better in the case of footballers that they keep it secret till after there playing career is over, otherwise they will need to put up with the ridicule that comes with it. thats my opinion anyways!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby Q. » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:47 am

Comraderie isn't sexual. I'm pretty sure a gay teammate isn't going to get a chubby over changeroom hijinks.
Q.
Coach

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:48 am

Quichey wrote:Comraderie isn't sexual. I'm pretty sure a gay teammate isn't going to get a chubby over changeroom hijinks.

How do you know though?
that may turn a gay on?
Iron Fist
Veteran

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues