Calling it quits

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Calling it quits

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Well, after 25 years of chasing a red leather football around the field in the depths of winter, Saturday was the day in which it all ended for me.
The siren sounded on a playing career of around 200 senior games spread between Elizabeth, Loxton, Moorook-Kingston and Loxton North at 2.30pm.
Maybe my back was telling me a story when it went into spasm early in the first term.
A perennial problem over the past decade, my back twinge made it hard for me to bend down and pick the ball up, however, there was no way I was leaving the field of play unless I really could not perform.
A three goal burst in the second term confirmed I’d made a good decision to stay on the ground.
The first goal was after a sweet bump and mark at the back of the pack from 45 metres out, the second was a no look snap over the head after a handball from an under pressure team-mate and the third was converted with a droppie in the goal square having received a 50 metre penalty for a shove in the back after I’d marked.
As I picked myself up off the ground, the young lad, only about 15, to the side of the fray muttered “at least it was worth it”.
I looked at him, glared like a grumpy old man and thought “one day son, you’ll get yours, it just won’t be me”.
A goal in the third quarter and a strong chase and tackle on the opposition’s fastest player in the fourth quarter ensured that my contribution in this, my final game, was a strong one.
I remember my first game for Elizabeth, not quite like it was yesterday, and coming on just after half time, taking a mark (that I probably should have left for my coach Rob Fraser) and goaling from 40 metres out in a win over Modbury.
Three seasons later and work brought me to the Riverland, where I played for Loxton against reigning premiers Loxton North in a Friday night game at home, we lost, and I later ended up having a good night out with Fraser (a former Loxton North player) who was in town for the wedding of his good-mate Jamie Thomas, who previously had coached the Panthers.
‘Frase’ told me that night, “you’re playing for the wrong club”.
By 2004, I had transferred to Moorook-Kingston in the Independent competition to play with my mate/boss Paul Mitchell, who was coach at the time.
I scored two goals with my first two kicks for the Warriors and my time finished with them, as it did at Loxton, with a torn hamstring.
Finally, I made my way out to the Panthers, where the words from Frase rang in my head as I trained for the first time.
This past two seasons have been a wonderful experience and, as I have done throughout my football playing career, I’ve made some great friends.
Football is like that.
At the final siren on Saturday, I stood in the goal square and collected my thoughts, relieved at it being all over.
Surprisingly, I wasn’t as emotional as I thought I would be.
As we left the field Brett Stephens and Nathan Schiller chaired me off and my daughter Lily joined me at the door to the changerooms.
We sang “We Magnificent Panthers” loud and proud, my two year old daughter bemused by all of these men, who weren’t the Wiggles, singing so loudly.
It was a special moment and one I will treasure forever.
It is not the game, the hits, the tackles, the marks (although we’ll be talking about the hangar I took over Travis Dubrich this season for a long time to come) or even the goals that I will miss most, it is the changeroom camaraderie.
The hi-jinks that blokes get up to in that place, where Secret Men’s Business happens every training night and game day, makes sport a magic thing to be involved with.
The game provides many wonderful moments, if you play it long enough, and I thought I’d play until I was 40.
It is amazing how when the time comes, you know.
Stalwart Elizabeth full back Shane Egel once uttered those words to me and I thought that he was wrong, you never really know it’s time to go, you want to keep going.
Like all clichés, Shane’s rang true. For me, it is time and I know it.
I walk away smiling and thankful to everyone who has ever played a part in my enjoyment of this great game. Thank you.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Re: Calling it quits

Postby redandblack » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks for that, DW.

Very enjoyable read.
redandblack

Postby A Mum » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:43 pm

Great story DW O:)

Had a chuckle at your daughter and the wiggles comment too :lol:
You get what you give....
A Mum
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Big Phil » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:15 pm

Congrats on the career DW and well done on finishing on a good note...

Going stay involved in any capacity or have more weekends to come to Adelaide to cheer on the Doggies now?
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 274 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:54 pm

Well done DW never easy to give up something you love.

Just wish I could have ended with a similar story unlike me absolutely hating the game around 13 months ago.

Although in hindsight it has been the best decision I have ever made as I'm loving my new role in Football, just wish the team could have won a few more games....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:46 pm

Big Phil wrote:Congrats on the career DW and well done on finishing on a good note...

Going stay involved in any capacity or have more weekends to come to Adelaide to cheer on the Doggies now?

Thanks Phil - I'll still be involved in the game, I have an iron or two in the fire.
Not sure I'll be able to get down for too many more Doggies games but at least the option to do so is there now.

Thanks also to all of the other comments too guys.
I don't have that many achievements to hang my hat on from over the years but being able to make the choice to go out is something I'm glad I had the chance to do.
I hope by writing this story, I have done justice to what the great game means to so many people and why sometimes retirement is the right thing.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Q. » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:53 pm

Great read DW.

It certainly provides insight for those of us yet to retire and how we might assess when the time comes to hang the boots up.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby CK » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:46 pm

Quichey wrote:Great read DW.

It certainly provides insight for those of us yet to retire and how we might assess when the time comes to hang the boots up.

The tap on the shoulder from Father Time, so to speak, is a difficult one...without stealing DW's thunder, I know the exact moment I realised it was time, when repeated dislocations of the same shoulder kept meaning missing more and more training and games, and then work. When I played much of a game and didn't pick up a single disposal and walked off knowing that was it. It's a sad day, because footy gives so, so many great memories when playing :(
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby FattyLumpkin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:26 am

Dogwatcher wrote:‘It is not the game, the hits, the tackles, the marks (although we’ll be talking about the hangar I took over Travis Dubrich this season for a long time to come) or even the goals that I will miss most, it is the changeroom camaraderie.
The hi-jinks that blokes get up to in that place, where Secret Men’s Business happens every training night and game day, makes sport a magic thing to be involved with.

Spot on comment DW. And as you get closer to retirement you enjoy that post match beer & yarn with the opposition "veterans" just a little more.
With your hands on your head, or the trigger of your gun
FattyLumpkin
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Ports

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues