WATER PRICE HIKES

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

WATER PRICE HIKES

Postby tigerpie » Tue May 17, 2011 5:29 pm

With the price of water steadily climbing i would like to hear from any club administrators how they are managing this cost increase.

I'm hearing that some clubs are going to struggle to pay them.

It could send some clubs broke and therefore no community cricket in that area.

Obviously this impacts greatly on footy as well but the biggest threat is that there will be no participation at any level in some districts if these clubs cant pay.

I know my club has recieved a bill for $11,000 for 90 days of water during the cricket season and as a community club thats going to be hard to find.

Would like to know peoples thoughts on this matter.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Re: WATER PRICE HIKES

Postby abber » Wed May 18, 2011 11:15 am

This is a big problem and only going to get bigger.

It's important that if your sharing with a footy club they have to realise that they are also responsible for sharing the costs. Try not watering an oval over summer and see how the ground is come football season. Try approaching your local council to see if they can assist. They also have a vested interest. Perhaps investigate of possibility of putting a bore in. The initial cost might pay for itself pretty quickly.
abber
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Ron Burgundy » Wed May 18, 2011 11:16 am

Clubs in our district dont pay water costs, merely a hire fee for the oval for the season, approx $700 per team.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby The Hound » Wed May 18, 2011 1:08 pm

Tigerpie - seeing as the football club at your community centre pays players and has the oval presented in it's best possible condition after cricket season maybe they can provide some finalcial assistance. I belive some players were given and increase in payments after winning a flag last year.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed May 18, 2011 2:01 pm

The Hound wrote:Tigerpie - seeing as the football club at your community centre pays players and has the oval presented in it's best possible condition after cricket season maybe they can provide some finalcial assistance. I belive some players were given and increase in payments after winning a flag last year.

us and the footy club have been asked to fork out 1300 bucks each. i have not agreed to this proposal as i deem it not to be an equitable deal.

imo it should be a pro rata fee.we have 22 participants using the oval each weekend during cricket season e.g a grade and u17s.
footy have u14's,16s,18's b's and a's,plus the div2 u14's and 16 oh and the u8's,10's and 12's which all potentially play on 1 weekend thats 200 participants ish.And that doesnt include training.

Not equitable i would think.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby mickey » Thu May 19, 2011 12:16 am

I fully understand the pro-rata argument, but playing devils advocate for a minute the football club could also say it rains in winter and they don't need the oval irrigated as much when they use it etc..

But I think 1300 each for a 11k bill isn't too bad.
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby tigerpie » Thu May 19, 2011 11:28 am

mickey wrote:I fully understand the pro-rata argument, but playing devils advocate for a minute the football club could also say it rains in winter and they don't need the oval irrigated as much when they use it etc..

sorry mickey probably didnt explain myself too well.the money i speak of is for oval maintenance and not the water bill which is paid by the community centre who have the lease from the council.the community centre is going to struggle to pay the annual water bill which is not just for the oval but for the whole complex and its way in excess of $11,000.

cricket club turnover is probably a 1/4 of the footy club so $1300 hits our bottom line a lot harder than the footy club.

Anyway i authored this post to see how other community based clubs were going to react with the ever increasing water bills.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu May 19, 2011 11:43 am

Sink a bore.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby tigerpie » Thu May 19, 2011 4:40 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Sink a bore.

got one but too salty.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Bulls forever » Sun May 22, 2011 12:15 pm

tigerpie wrote:
mickey wrote:I fully understand the pro-rata argument, but playing devils advocate for a minute the football club could also say it rains in winter and they don't need the oval irrigated as much when they use it etc..

sorry mickey probably didnt explain myself too well.the money i speak of is for oval maintenance and not the water bill which is paid by the community centre who have the lease from the council.the community centre is going to struggle to pay the annual water bill which is not just for the oval but for the whole complex and its way in excess of $11,000.

cricket club turnover is probably a 1/4 of the footy club so $1300 hits our bottom line a lot harder than the footy club.

Anyway i authored this post to see how other community based clubs were going to react with the ever increasing water bills.

TP, quite sure the same situation exists for not only community clubs, but also the grade clubs. Not sure there is an answer to it, if so I would certainly like to hear it.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby Westsider » Mon May 23, 2011 1:25 pm

tigerpie wrote:

got one but too salty.

Then it's not deep enough
Westsider
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby tigerpie » Wed May 25, 2011 1:40 pm

Westsider wrote:
tigerpie wrote:

got one but too salty.

Then it's not deep enough

council have ruled out using the bore anyhow.

What i'm after in this forum is what other clubs think about the escalating water bills and how they are going to pay them
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps