GAP Water - Pitch Preperations

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

GAP Water - Pitch Preperations

Postby Trader » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:53 pm

With the new GAP water becoming available to several ovals around the place, has anyone looked into the long term effects of the increased salinity levels that will be experienced?

I understand for outfields that there isn't too much of an issue, especially if they are relativley free draining soils, but for pitches, which are basically clay, this isn't the case. The soil will retain the surplus salt that will build up over time and discourage/prevent turf growth. This will lead to deteriation of the surface, and wearing will occur quicker.

What have clubs done to ensure they can continue to use potiable (mains) water for the centre square? Or have they looked into other methods for ensuring their pitches won't crumble by januaray?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Re: GAP Water - Pitch Preperations

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:29 pm

Trader wrote:With the new GAP water becoming available to several ovals around the place, has anyone looked into the long term effects of the increased salinity levels that will be experienced?

I understand for outfields that there isn't too much of an issue, especially if they are relativley free draining soils, but for pitches, which are basically clay, this isn't the case. The soil will retain the surplus salt that will build up over time and discourage/prevent turf growth. This will lead to deteriation of the surface, and wearing will occur quicker.

What have clubs done to ensure they can continue to use potiable (mains) water for the centre square? Or have they looked into other methods for ensuring their pitches won't crumble by januaray?

I believe our centre wicket is back on mains for this very reason
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby smac » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:48 pm

A lot of clubs use what is called a 'shandy', a mix of mains/GAP water. The GAP water should be tested to work out what mixture is right for your pitch, but never will the GAP water alone work for a pitch.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby heater31 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:57 pm

smac wrote:A lot of clubs use what is called a 'shandy', a mix of mains/GAP water. The GAP water should be tested to work out what mixture is right for your pitch, but never will the GAP water alone work for a pitch.

this would have the best longevity/cost benefit but it will ultimately result in the the pitch square being re laid quicker over the years. It would be up to the curators to manage this the best they can but I would imagine for a lot of Turf Clubs who get their local council to prepare wickets could possibly get someone who doesn't give a toss and their home ground will suffer.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:31 pm

heater31 wrote:
smac wrote:A lot of clubs use what is called a 'shandy', a mix of mains/GAP water. The GAP water should be tested to work out what mixture is right for your pitch, but never will the GAP water alone work for a pitch.

this would have the best longevity/cost benefit but it will ultimately result in the the pitch square being re laid quicker over the years. It would be up to the curators to manage this the best they can but I would imagine for a lot of Turf Clubs who get their local council to prepare wickets could possibly get someone who doesn't give a toss and their home ground will suffer.

Not sure curators have much say on what water they get to use. The irrigation on all of the Turf ovals I know is set up and maintained by the Council. We got recycled water connected in 2008, but Salisbury council went to some trouble last year to reconnect mains water to irrigate centre and practice wickets because the recycled water is no good. So we are back on 100% mains water
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps