Tony Handrickan

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Tony Handrickan

Postby interested observer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:04 pm

One of SA crickets great characters is in some real trouble health wise at present.

A past premiership playing/coach of the Ingle Farm District Cricket Club and one of crickets lovable larrikans...

All the best to Tony and his family from all his friends at the IFDCC in this tough time...
interested observer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Tony Handrickan

Postby bulldogs » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:14 am

interested observer wrote:One of SA crickets great characters is in some real trouble health wise at present.

A past premiership playing/coach of the Ingle Farm District Cricket Club and one of crickets lovable larrikans...

All the best to Tony and his family from all his friends at the IFDCC in this tough time...

heard this news and it leaves a bad taste. Knowing Tony he is a tough bugger and it will take alot to beat this great man. i remember batting with Tony against Brighton ( i wasnt fit to tie tonys boots up) we took off for a quick single for Tony to turn and look for two, at that time his knee went(worse knees then Mcleod) and as i looked around he was laying flat on his stomach. Rob Eime was saying to Tony do you need some help or maybe a stretcher, Tony looked up at him with that look only he could give and told him to f*** off i will get up when im good and ready and if you have a problem ill stick this bat up your arse. he ended up getting up and pounded there attack.

this great man put IFDCC to the front of atca capt/coach of our only premier grade premiership in 93/94. The man is up there with the best bats to play for the club if he had a good knee at all and was 8 yrs younger there wouldnt of been any doubt.

As IO said we are thinking of ya mate.
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Goat Herder » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:02 am

Hey Murph', if you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with him? Understand you might not want to post it on a public forum, so a PM would be greatly appreciated.

My Dad has been a long time friend of The Handrickan family and Tony was a former coach of mine at Ports a long time ago now. Played it hard on & off the field, and if not for one incident early in his career that black marked him for future 'Shield duty, could've gone on to do some great things at State level. Best of luck to him, whatever battle he is having at present.
Goat Herder
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time

Postby mal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:55 am

Tony was prob the most naturally talented junior cricketer Ive seen
Good skipper of teams, was a good outswinging bowler in his junior days as wel

One of my biggest thrills was to see Tony when he was teenager make a ton at Adelaide Oval
The same innings the late great David Hookes made a ton as well
It was SS game against New South Wales in the late seventies

I had thought in the seventies that Tony had the ability to be a Test Cricketer
Thats how talented Tony was
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby Iron Fist » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:30 pm

mal wrote:Tony was prob the most naturally talented junior cricketer Ive seen
Good skipper of teams, was a good outswinging bowler in his junior days as wel

One of my biggest thrills was to see Tony when he was teenager make a ton at Adelaide Oval
The same innings the late great David Hookes made a ton as well
It was SS game against New South Wales in the late seventies

I had thought in the seventies that Tony had the ability to be a Test Cricketer
Thats how talented Tony was

have heard very similar things from alot of people.
Reckons he definately had the skill to go onto bigger and better things, shame he never did!

I actually got a phone call from him the other week out of the blue.
Was calling off my mates phone (his sones), has improved alot since he first went down.
Lets just hope that he continues to improve!!!
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby piccachu » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:43 pm

have heard very similar things from alot of people.
Reckons he definately had the skill to go onto bigger and better things, shame he never did!

I actually got a phone call from him the other week out of the blue.
Was calling off my mates phone (his sones), has improved alot since he first went down.
Lets just hope that he continues to improve!!!

Has most certainly come along way in the past few weeks since the operation, have seen him and spoken to him a few times now and is making ground on his recovery, for those who know Tony you will be happy to know he hasn't lost his questionable vocabulary :D
Were has Marbles gone and who is Satchel
piccachu
League - Top 5

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby mal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Good news, nah great news to hear Tony is recovering well

As for the could have been anything
I had thought his batting was good, but I was more impressed with those boomerang outswingers he used to bowl as a schoolkid

What was Tonys career like after his Sheffield Sheild days ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby piccachu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:32 am

Good news, nah great news to hear Tony is recovering well

As for the could have been anything
I had thought his batting was good, but I was more impressed with those boomerang outswingers he used to bowl as a schoolkid

What was Tonys career like after his Sheffield Sheild days ?

i no he Captain Coached Ingle Farm for a bit, the team Photo is in his room were he is now.
also beleive he played back with port Adelaide for a while after the short stint with S.A
I think hes Knees played a big part in stalling the longevity of his career
piccachu
League - Top 5

Postby piccachu » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:38 pm

* BUMP *

For those who are interested, there will be a fundraiser held for Tony and his family later this year at the Port Adelaide Cricket Club, we are hopeing to secure the 3rd of december as the date to hold the show but is yet to be set in stone, Tony is in the process of moving to his family home permanantly and funds will help in making adjustments to the home to make it livable for Tony, all details are not yet confirmed but we are in the process of securing some guest speakers for the day and also some Auction Items.
should be a cracker of a day and would be great so see as many people there as possible.

Pleas PM me to express any interest
Cheers
piccachu
League - Top 5

Postby bulldogs » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:05 am

piccachu wrote:* BUMP *

For those who are interested, there will be a fundraiser held for Tony and his family later this year at the Port Adelaide Cricket Club, we are hopeing to secure the 3rd of december as the date to hold the show but is yet to be set in stone, Tony is in the process of moving to his family home permanantly and funds will help in making adjustments to the home to make it livable for Tony, all details are not yet confirmed but we are in the process of securing some guest speakers for the day and also some Auction Items.
should be a cracker of a day and would be great so see as many people there as possible.

Cheers

any news on this yet,still waiting on the flyer.
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Postby Iron Fist » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:08 am

bulldogs wrote:
piccachu wrote:* BUMP *

Cheers

any news on this yet,still waiting on the flyer.

There is Bulldogs
I will chase it up and try post something on here in next few days.
Cheers
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby piccachu » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:55 am

Please find attached Flyer for Tony Handrickan fundraiser. for all those interested in attending please either let me or the contact people at the bottom of the flyer know of your interest in attending the day.

Thks & Brgds
piccachu
League - Top 5

Postby piccachu » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:00 am

Ok apparently the flyer is to big, maybe for anyone who would like it can PM me with there email adress and i can email it throught

Cheers
piccachu
League - Top 5

Postby Westsider » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Email it to me and I can chuck it on the web and anyone can download it
Westsider
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bulldogs » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:10 pm

What a great night for the great man. Well down to the guys from Portland FC and Port Adelaide CC they hosted a terrific show. Flipper was fantastic in taking the piss out of tony and also letting the crowd know how good of a player he was. Didnt realise Burt played under 19 for Australia. A big well done to Tonys wife Vicki she has been a awesome support to him and she deserves plenty of accolades. Great to catch up with some good mates who i havent seen in awhile and some people who i didnt know but do now.
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Postby Iron Fist » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 am

bulldogs wrote:What a great night for the great man. Well down to the guys from Portland FC and Port Adelaide CC they hosted a terrific show. Flipper was fantastic in taking the piss out of tony and also letting the crowd know how good of a player he was. Didnt realise Burt played under 19 for Australia. A big well done to Tonys wife Vicki she has been a awesome support to him and she deserves plenty of accolades. Great to catch up with some good mates who i havent seen in awhile and some people who i didnt know but do now.

Good to hear you had a good night bulldogs.
Congratulations to the guys that did put on the show, I know alot of work went into getting it done and it was a success. Everyone had a great night by the looks of it.
Would have been good to put a face to the name but oh well. Glad you had a good evening.
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby interested observer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:51 am

Iron Fist wrote:
bulldogs wrote:What a great night for the great man. Well down to the guys from Portland FC and Port Adelaide CC they hosted a terrific show. Flipper was fantastic in taking the piss out of tony and also letting the crowd know how good of a player he was. Didnt realise Burt played under 19 for Australia. A big well done to Tonys wife Vicki she has been a awesome support to him and she deserves plenty of accolades. Great to catch up with some good mates who i havent seen in awhile and some people who i didnt know but do now.

Congratulations to the guys that did put on the show, I know alot of work went into getting it done and it was a success. Everyone had a great night by the looks of it.
Would have been good to put a face to the name but oh well. Glad you had a good evening.

He would of been the one talking scribble non stop and sounding like he has a speech impediment.... :lol:
interested observer
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby beeroclock » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:45 pm

interested observer wrote:
Iron Fist wrote:

He would of been the one talking scribble non stop and sounding like he has a speech impediment.... :lol:

Bulldogs would have been the fella with the snow in each corner of his mouth.
Now you know which one he was,correct?
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby bulldogs » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:58 pm

might of been a little bit more then snow probably a avalanche.
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps