Great Southern Cricket Association 2010-11

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Great Southern Cricket Association 2010-11

Postby shoe boy » Thu May 12, 2011 1:36 pm

Jimmy Recard wrote: I must say that I have not been involved with a GSCA club for the past season so am unaware of any single clubs stance but I believe this is a real shame, and strongly believe that the GSCA has made the wrong decision. If two strong clubs wanted to join the league then I believe it would have only strengthened the association in the long run. By branching out that little bit further to Noarlunga and Pt Noarlunga it would have given the Great Southern area a lot more publicity, for lack of a better word. These extra players would have strengthen juniors and seniors, and provided a great challenge for the existing clubs to lift on field performances. I would much prefer to play in a league that offers a great contest week in week out, and I think Noarlunga and Pt Noarlunga would have provided this. Like I said I am unaware of the in's and out's of it all, but can't understand why this wouldn't have been a great thing for the GSCA.

Can anyone shed any light on why they were rejected?

Could not of said this any better!!!!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Jimmy Recard » Thu May 12, 2011 3:45 pm

From what I've been told the only 3 teams which voted yes were Goolwa, Aldinga & Willunga...

Anyone from the clubs who voted no keen to share why they thought this wasn't a good idea?
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint,
The greats were great because they paint a lot.
Jimmy Recard
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby WestIndiesWonder24 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:23 pm

I definately agree and am very disapointed my club did not vote yEs for this proposal,
When clubs that run out of players fold in a few years and were stuck with 4-5 teams, a told ya so will definately be posted on this forum..

No idea.....Maybe too many people who have had influence to the SL before and werent happy with the "Reputation" of some of the new clubs...
Last edited by WestIndiesWonder24 on Thu May 12, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestIndiesWonder24
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: United Aboriginal

Postby Jimmy Recard » Thu May 12, 2011 6:07 pm

WestIndiesWonder24 wrote:I definately agree and am very disapointed my club did not vote yEs for this proposal,
When clubs that run out of players fold in a few years and were stuck with 4-5 teams, a told ya so will definately be posted on this forum..

What were some of the reasons why your club voted no mate?
Jimmy Recard
Under 16s

Postby sherminator » Thu May 12, 2011 6:14 pm

My thoughts exactly WIW! It was only 2 seasons ago we had 7 A grade sides with Compass filling 2 A grades.

I am disappointed it didn't get up, although I won't lose any sleep over it. I just think we missed out on an opportunity to solidify the league and guarantee its long term future. It probably wasn't all that long ago that the SCA thought their league was super strong and healthy ...
sherminator
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Olympic Dam

Postby Jimmy Recard » Thu May 12, 2011 8:52 pm

How did the voting work? Was each club given a vote, then the GSCA committee had the final say? Or was the clubs vote final?
Jimmy Recard
Under 16s

Postby the red baron » Fri May 13, 2011 10:10 am

Jimmy Recard wrote:Anyone from the clubs who voted no keen to share why they thought this wasn't a good idea
i personally feel 8 is the right amount of sides for an A grade comp.If noarlunga or port noarlunga came in they might have either had to start in b grade or maybe a myponga , goolwa or elliot may have been forced to go down! If they went with a 10 team A grade, in order to play everyone once you would probably have to play 9 2 day games meaning the end of one day cricket! agree with wiw if some of the clubs fold in the future or pull their A grades the league could be in strife!
the red baron
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Gumeracha

Postby Offcutter » Sat May 14, 2011 9:59 am

Up front I'll say that I don't know anything about the voting that took place, or even if what has been said on here previously (Jimmy Recard) is correct or not. I don't even know if our club voted yes or no, but I guess that would have been made at a committee level, which I am not a part of. But I would certainly stand by any decision our committee made.

Personally, I'd play cricket against anyone / anytime, so wouldn't have an issue with either / both Porties or Shoes coming in, but, if as what JR is close to true, then a YES vote of only 3 is pretty compelling. I don't know why clubs would vote yes or no - that's up to each individual club, on what they think is best for their own club / the association. Wouldn't think anything less of clubs whether they voted yes or no.

But it would be good to get a clearer picture of what actually the "vote" was even based on - was it a simple "yes" let's get both clubs in, or what is a vote on "shall we let one club in now, and see how that goes", and if so, "which club should it be"...

Perhaps what parameters the clubs were asked to vote on needs to be made clear before we all have a crack on a forum... can we get anyone on here that can clarify?

I for one can see merits on both sides of the argument - certainly agree with the thoughts of the red baron.. if it aint broke, don't fix it. Don't see too many people on here talking about what a poor the GSCA is in at the moment..
Offcutter
Rookie

Postby WestIndiesWonder24 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:47 am

Why dont u go have some beef jerky Offcutter.....

Horrible statement
WestIndiesWonder24
League - Top 5

Postby Richard Chee Quee » Sat May 14, 2011 12:32 pm

as far as i was concerned it wasnt just the percieved reputation of the clubs wanting in but also what i would have done for the southern league if they had been granted entry. as far as i know porties and noarlunga are the two strongest clubs left in the southern comp, take them out and what would happen?
Richard Chee Quee
Under 16s

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby Tony » Sun May 15, 2011 9:46 pm

Great discussion!!!

Nothing against Noarlunga or Porties but dont want to see the Southern league die, and think they need to work harder to save their league!!
Isnt our league going well!!!?? I think so, in all grades!!!! A lot of comments made are very what if... No-one knows what the future holds do they??

What if the 2 teams were Strath and L/Creek, bringing in more turf games!!!! That would be ...soild!!!!!

See ya after the break folks!!!!
Tony
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby allrounder » Mon May 16, 2011 9:38 am

Nothing against Noarlunga or Porties but dont want to see the Southern league die, and think they need to work harder to save their league!!

What if the 2 teams were Strath and L/Creek, bringing in more turf games!!!! That would be ...soild!!!!!

And what do you think we have been trying to do since the first time we spoke to the GSCA - The SCA is now in that dire a position it is impossible to attract new clubs or even quality new players. The association and individual clubs have tried but nobody wants to come.

And that would be a really smart move accept 2 clubs from a strong association and in so doing weakening the AEHCA moving the peoblem from not just 2 associations but three.
Up the Potters
allrounder
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Tony » Mon May 16, 2011 2:38 pm

Clearly a throw away line about Strath and L/Creek.....cause as if.. someones a bit uptight!!!

Bit more foresight and less arrogance by Southern in the past and there wouldnt be the cry for help!!!!

Thats the truth with cheese on it!!!!
Tony
Mini-League

Postby The Hound » Fri May 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Interesting to see A&EH cricket association accept 2 teams from the Torrens Valley cricket association for the up coming season.

The GSCA must have some very good reasons not to accept clubs from outside of there boundary.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby smithy » Fri May 20, 2011 11:41 pm

The Hound wrote:Interesting to see A&EH cricket association accept 2 teams from the Torrens Valley cricket association for the up coming season.

The GSCA must have some very good reasons not to accept clubs from outside of there boundary.

Scared of change ?
smithy

Postby WestIndiesWonder24 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:18 pm

smithy wrote:
The Hound wrote:Interesting to see A&EH cricket association accept 2 teams from the Torrens Valley cricket association for the up coming season.

Scared of change ?

Narrow mind syndrome, Known for most people down the south coast
WestIndiesWonder24
League - Top 5

Postby Tony » Mon May 23, 2011 3:27 pm

Folks folks folks...SO A&E.H. accept the 2 strongest clubs from Torrens Valley, I believe that all but 1 of their meyer shield players was picked from the 2 sides.....clearly **** up that comp, and the strength of the Meyer shield. Does that make A&E.H decision the correct one..?? Bye bye Torrens Valley..!!

The Great Southern didnt have to accept Aldinga or M. Districts but did..or Willunga even!! So dont think its a case of closed mindedness.
We arn,t the strongest association on field AT THE MOMENT but good on us and well done to the people who do great things off field, helping us keep alive and healthy!!!!

Question: Why didnt Southern let Reynella have their turf pitch but stay in the Comp like we did with the Bays?? Maybe then Cove wouldnt have left either...??

...How about this, instead of **** up 2 whole associations, which is whats happening....we start the WHOLE thing again and revamp all of the Fleurieu Penninsula, re zoning everyone in even comps to their location????
Got to be better than true Fleurieu Clubs going to Suburban leagues!!??

Thoughts..
Tony
Mini-League

Postby allbeef » Mon May 23, 2011 4:32 pm

shoe boy wrote:
Jimmy Recard wrote: I must say that I have not been involved with a GSCA club for the past season so am unaware of any single clubs stance but I believe this is a real shame, and strongly believe that the GSCA has made the wrong decision. If two strong clubs wanted to join the league then I believe it would have only strengthened the association in the long run. By branching out that little bit further to Noarlunga and Pt Noarlunga it would have given the Great Southern area a lot more publicity, for lack of a better word. These extra players would have strengthen juniors and seniors, and provided a great challenge for the existing clubs to lift on field performances. I would much prefer to play in a league that offers a great contest week in week out, and I think Noarlunga and Pt Noarlunga would have provided this. Like I said I am unaware of the in's and out's of it all, but can't understand why this wouldn't have been a great thing for the GSCA.

99.9% certain most clubs voted no due to both clubs (noarlunga and porties) on and off field behaviour
allbeef
Mini-League

Postby Super Fred » Mon May 23, 2011 5:47 pm

allbeef wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

99.9% certain most clubs voted no due to both clubs (noarlunga and porties) on and off field behaviour

Which is all based on hearsay, unless GSCA now play on Sunday and GSCA players have come and watched some SCA games.

I know Noarlunga had a player suspended due to taking exception to a blatant cheat but what about Porties, i dont believe they have been involved in undesirable on or off field antics the last few seaons.

Did not get to see the association game between GSCA and SCA last season but did not see any posts that mentioned the game was plagued by bad sportsmanship from the SCA players...

IMO if that is these clubs only excuse then its a poor decision which may come and bite them on the backside especially if a club is forced to field two sides in the A Grade to avoid the bye like Compass did a couple of seasons back. But good luck for the future and hopefully that never occurs again.
Last edited by Super Fred on Mon May 23, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Fred
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby smithy » Mon May 23, 2011 5:48 pm

allbeef wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

99.9% sure forum users in here only mentioned concerns regarding Noarlunga's "behaviour".

Tony, Turf pitch wasn't the issue, Reynella wanted a better comp to play in.
smithy

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps