Barossa and Light Cricket 08/09

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Who will be the A1 Premiers for 2008-2009

Gilbert Valley
No votes
Kapunda
28%
Nuriootpa
31%
Tanunda
7%
Light Pass
No votes
Greenock
3%
Gawler Central
14%
Freeling
17%
Angaston
No votes
Eudunda/Robertstown
No votes

Total votes : 29

Re: Barossa and Light Cricket 08/09

Postby TimmiesChin » Tue May 12, 2009 2:31 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:

No there isnt ... Centrals dont have a turf wicket .... some would argue that what they have barely passes as a hard wicket. :)

So having a turf wicket isnt a pre-requisite for the competition?

No its not a pre-requisite, with Sandy joining 6 of the 14 clubs will have turf wickets, with Angaston, Greenock, Freeling, Gilbert Valley, and Gawler Centrals the A1 sides from last season that didnt have turf. (Truro, Lyndoch and South Gawler didnt have turf in the twos).
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 12, 2009 2:37 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:

No there isnt ... Centrals dont have a turf wicket .... some would argue that what they have barely passes as a hard wicket. :)

So having a turf wicket isnt a pre-requisite for the competition?

No its not a pre-requisite, with Sandy joining 6 of the 14 clubs will have turf wickets, with Angaston, Greenock, Freeling, Gilbert Valley, and Gawler Centrals the A1 sides from last season that didnt have turf. (Truro, Lyndoch and South Gawler didnt have turf in the twos).

That seems a little odd, oh well.

Does anyone use the Tanunda Chateau oval, probably the prettiest ground I've seen along with St. Peters school.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby TimmiesChin » Tue May 12, 2009 2:41 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:That seems a little odd, oh well.

Does anyone use the Tanunda Chateau oval, probably the prettiest ground I've seen along with St. Peters school.

Funding was made available for 5 grounds initially, and assocaition selected where they wanted pitches and gave clubs the option. The more pitches the better IMO - I know Greenock is looking at it, and I believe Angaston may have been investigation.
At the moment the turf clubs are at a financial dis-advantage to hardwicket club due to maintenance costs that other clubs dont face, (perhaps a levy of hardwicket clubs is needed - money going into a fund towards building new turf wickets at other venues, and subsidising existing pitch preparation costs), but all 5 grounds are in general pretty well turned out.

As for Chateau Tanunda, I played an exhibition game there a few years ago, and its waaaaay to small to be used for a match proper - U12 kids could probably clear the ropes. I may be wrong but I also understand its quite a hefty cost to hire.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Postby norm11 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:43 pm

Bring it on Days of ourb lives
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby norm11 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Hey Timmies how long does a turf pitch need to settle in for before use?
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Postby TimmiesChin » Tue May 12, 2009 5:04 pm

norm11 wrote:Hey Timmies how long does a turf pitch need to settle in for before use?

I'm not an expert, but the one we did was the first pitch laid in the valley (by a matter of days), I think it was done in January, but may have been done in december (its been a while now).

By the start of the followingseason - around October it was useable, but the sod lines were still visible for the first half of the next season. In general they all played pretty well, although in theory there was probably more chance of the pitches breaking up aroundthe sod edges.... so I'd be thinking you want yours in ASAP.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Postby interested observer » Tue May 12, 2009 5:23 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
norm11 wrote:Hey Timmies how long does a turf pitch need to settle in for before use?

I'm not an expert, but the one we did was the first pitch laid in the valley (by a matter of days), I think it was done in January, but may have been done in december (its been a while now).

By the start of the followingseason - around October it was useable, but the sod lines were still visible for the first half of the next season. In general they all played pretty well, although in theory there was probably more chance of the pitches breaking up aroundthe sod edges.... so I'd be thinking you want yours in ASAP.

Do yourselves a favour and get somone in the know to get this right.
If it is not done right from the start, you will suffer for a long time..
Do not hesitate to even contact the great man, Les Burdett at SACA..
He has been known to offer invaluable advice to clubs in the past...
interested observer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby TimmiesChin » Tue May 12, 2009 5:24 pm

interested observer wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:

Absolutely - Les will almost certainly come out to the club and provide you all the information you need.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Postby james07 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:36 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
interested observer wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:

Absolutely - Les will almost certainly come out to the club and provide you all the information you need.

thanks guys
we ahve belair turf management to do the installation and they wre recommended by les and we will be in contact with the saca to get more assistance but by all accounts they are keen to help.
james07
Under 16s

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby The Angry Bull » Tue May 12, 2009 11:25 pm

its official sandy creek are in the B&LCA with an almost unanimous descision to accept them
good luck to them and lets hope the turf wicket is up and running for the start of the new season.
looking forward to showing them how far off the pace they are ;) ;)[/quote]
I take it you wiould of been there DOOL... could you gives us an incite as to who voted against thier acceptance?????

Has there also been a decision made on what the make up of the a1 comp will be this year????

Congrats to Sandy boys on the acceptance by the way... looking forward to seeing how you lads go
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Postby daysofourlives » Wed May 13, 2009 2:03 pm

The Angry Bull wrote:its official sandy creek are in the B&LCA with an almost unanimous descision to accept them
good luck to them and lets hope the turf wicket is up and running for the start of the new season.
looking forward to showing them how far off the pace they are ;) ;)

I take it you wiould of been there DOOL... could you gives us an incite as to who voted against thier acceptance?????

Has there also been a decision made on what the make up of the a1 comp will be this year????

Congrats to Sandy boys on the acceptance by the way... looking forward to seeing how you lads go[/quote]

incite=insight maybe!!!!! no i dont think its appropriate to say who voted against it, all clubs are now happy they are in and are looking forward to competing against sandy.
na nothing decided yet as to what may happen with A1, a few ideas being bandied around, i think i have posted some ideas a few pages back on here angry bull
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby norm11 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:15 pm

At a guess i would say Lyndoch and Centrals voted against it. It is only a guess
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Postby long sleeve lover » Thu May 14, 2009 6:33 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Congratulations to the Sandy Creek Cricket Club in gaining entry into a new competition. Good on the B&LCA for allowing them entry aswell, I'm sure they'll prosper from having them in there.

Just out of interest, what oval does Gawler Central use?

The dog-track ..... its a hole of a venue to play cricket at.

I didn't think that there was a turf pitch there.

Hey go easy...they did lay a brand new hard wicket over Christmas last year and its a lot flatter than the last one....
long sleeve lover
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby TimmiesChin » Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 pm

long sleeve lover wrote:Hey go easy...they did lay a brand new hard wicket over Christmas last year and its a lot flatter than the last one....

Yeah I know, and I was talking about the standard of the wicket and surround after Christmas.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Postby long sleeve lover » Fri May 15, 2009 10:02 am

TimmiesChin wrote:
long sleeve lover wrote:Hey go easy...they did lay a brand new hard wicket over Christmas last year and its a lot flatter than the last one....

Yeah I know, and I was talking about the standard of the wicket and surround after Christmas.

Yeah it was pretty terrible...we had some issues with the Council (who maintain the oval) this year. Had to actually send photos through to someone higher up to get them to take some action and actually re-lay some of the dead parts of the oval. i think we can safely assume it wont be that bad again...
long sleeve lover
Mini-League

Postby TimmiesChin » Fri May 15, 2009 10:24 am

long sleeve lover wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:

Yeah it was pretty terrible...we had some issues with the Council (who maintain the oval) this year. Had to actually send photos through to someone higher up to get them to take some action and actually re-lay some of the dead parts of the oval. i think we can safely assume it wont be that bad again...

Cool - that sounds good - I know councils can be pains in the arse, but as a visiting side not used to the pitch and surrounds it can make it quite problematic. As a home side you tend to get used to it and know how to deal with it.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Postby interested observer » Fri May 15, 2009 10:30 am

Yeah it was pretty terrible...we had some issues with the Council (who maintain the oval) this year. Had to actually send photos through to someone higher up to get them to take some action and actually re-lay some of the dead parts of the oval. i think we can safely assume it wont be that bad again...[/quote]

Cool - that sounds good - I know councils can be pains in the arse, but as a visiting side not used to the pitch and surrounds it can make it quite problematic. As a home side you tend to get used to it and know how to deal with it.[/quote]

Does that not come under the banner of " home ground advantage" ?
interested observer
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby long sleeve lover » Fri May 15, 2009 3:58 pm

interested observer wrote:Yeah it was pretty terrible...we had some issues with the Council (who maintain the oval) this year. Had to actually send photos through to someone higher up to get them to take some action and actually re-lay some of the dead parts of the oval. i think we can safely assume it wont be that bad again...

Cool - that sounds good - I know councils can be pains in the arse, but as a visiting side not used to the pitch and surrounds it can make it quite problematic. As a home side you tend to get used to it and know how to deal with it.[/quote]

Does that not come under the banner of " home ground advantage" ?[/quote]

True...there used to be one end which didnt bounce above knee height, used to bring a few unstuck occasionally
long sleeve lover
Mini-League

Postby daysofourlives » Fri May 15, 2009 8:23 pm

can any of the para districts lads on here give me a bit of a guide to the sandy creek players?
i know daniel jenner spent alot of time in para districts b4 moving to gawler centrals, how do they compare to him?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby saveyourlegs » Sun May 17, 2009 1:11 pm

daysofourlives wrote:can any of the para districts lads on here give me a bit of a guide to the sandy creek players?
i know daniel jenner spent alot of time in para districts b4 moving to gawler centrals, how do they compare to him?

Played cricket with dj for a couple of years at rose & crown and he is a very handy player.. Had a chat with him a couple of weeks ago and i believe he is hanging the whites up which would be a big lost for centrals..Sandy creek are a good side but had a disapointing year last season, they are always competative and are a great bunch of blokes to have a beer with.. They have 4 or 5 players like daniel jenner but age maybe getting the better of them now(Sorry boys :) )also believe bomber is moving back to sals north which would be a big lost for sandy creek, i think he has won the batting trophy the last 3 years at the creeks..norm11 or james07 would be able to tell you more, but i think it will be a good move and will miss playing against them as we have had a good rivalry over the last couple years.. but goodluck to them and hope all goes well for them..
saveyourlegs
Reserves

Grassroots Team: United Aboriginal

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps