Fitzroy Cricket Club

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Fitzroy Cricket Club

Postby Pidge » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:46 pm

Training at St Jays

Tuesdays 7:30 to 8:30
Thursdays 8:30 - 9:30

New Players Welcome

Pm me for more details
It's Somma Time!
Pidge
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Re: Fitzroy Cricket Club

Postby Magpies96 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:00 pm

Fitzroy CC play in the Churches & Community Cricket Association and is very successful club with sides in Div 1 (Played in the last two grand finals) Div 3 and Div 5.

Fantastic Cricket and Football Club and will make everyone welcome.
If you want a hit try and come to one of our indoor net training sessions at St Jays this week.

Go the Roys.
Fitzroy Cricket Club
Magpies96
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby ryles-kennels » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:48 pm

Fitzroy OMG i played there many years ago.

My father Colin Ryles along with Dougie Spooner etc etc helped form the original club where the oval currently is located named BROMPTON cricket/footy club and is a life member there. I remember back when i was a youngen there was nothing more than a paddock that was used as the oval and a very OLD tin shed that was the club rooms.
ryles-kennels

Postby Magpies96 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:24 am

ryles-kennels wrote:Fitzroy OMG i played there many years ago.

My father Colin Ryles along with Dougie Spooner etc etc helped form the original club where the oval currently is located named BROMPTON cricket/footy club and is a life member there. I remember back when i was a youngen there was nothing more than a paddock that was used as the oval and a very OLD tin shed that was the club rooms.

Wow, that is going back a long time. Each year, we have a past players meet up and a 20/20 game with former cricketers, I will post when we have a date set, it would be good if you came out.
Fitzroy Cricket Club
Magpies96
Under 16s

Postby Magpies96 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:31 am

Training is once again at St Jays (Salisbury) from 6.30pm to 7.30pm

Tuesday 9/9

Great to see a few new players last week, if you are interested just pop along and see the guys in the Fitzroy shirts.

We have also confirmed two 20/20 games with Western 11 at Wingfield Oval on the Saturday on the October long weekend.
Last edited by Magpies96 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fitzroy Cricket Club
Magpies96
Under 16s

Postby ryles-kennels » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:10 pm

GEEZ been a few years since ive picked up the willow.

Would be good to catch up with some of the old team mates. We won a premiership years ago under the captaincy of Graham O'B Obrien. The team included some old club stalwarts as well but i cant remember everyones names. I opened the batting for the club back then and finished 10 runs behind the Association batting trophy after hitting 103n/o in the second innings of the very last minor round match of the year. Game was called off early as time was running out to achieve an outright win. I was spewing when i found out i only need another 10 runs :? My brother also was in the team along with Shane Kelly and CO!
ryles-kennels

Postby Magpies96 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:15 am

ryles-kennels wrote:

Would be good to catch up with some of the old team mates. We won a premiership years ago under the captaincy of Graham O'B Obrien. The team included some old club stalwarts as well but i cant remember everyones names. I opened the batting for the club back then and finished 10 runs behind the Association batting trophy after hitting 103n/o in the second innings of the very last minor round match of the year. Game was called off early as time was running out to achieve an outright win. I was spewing when i found out i only need another 10 runs :? My brother also was in the team along with Shane Kelly and CO!

Played in that game, and in that premiership. What a great year.
Fitzroy Cricket Club
Magpies96
Under 16s

Postby Magpies96 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:20 am

This Wednesday (17/09/08) the Fitzroy Cricket Club train at the Adelaide Oval Indoor Cricket Centre

From 9pm to 10pm

If you are interested in playing cricket, pop along for a hit. We still need more players to be able to field a C grade.
Fitzroy Cricket Club
Magpies96
Under 16s

Postby ryles-kennels » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:25 pm

Magpies96 wrote:
ryles-kennels wrote:

Played in that game, and in that premiership. What a great year.

OK WHO IS THIS??

Shane Kelly i believe was the only MAD MAGPIES supporter i can remember in that team.

Am i right in saying we won that premiership after finishing 4th after the minor round?

We beat Broadview at WYC in the first final and then beat Wingfield at Wingfield in the Grand Final.
ryles-kennels

Postby mal » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:22 am

I played cricket with those guys I remember being picked as an allrounder as a kid
I was a good spinner as a kid
Colin Ryles and Marty Sanderson would open the bowling
I played the last 6 games of the year with those guys
And never got a bowl !!!

The club was called
BROMPTON
ALBERT DRUIDS
RENOWN PARK
FITZROY

Some other names in the Ryles/Spooner era

Billy Kirkwood
Phil Constable
Danny Cloy
Kevin Cronin
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1184 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby ryles-kennels » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:24 am

MAL!
Marty Sanderson and Dougie Spooner were long time family friends and i remember them very well.

If i remember correctly my Dad Colin Ryles was a right hand opening batter and a left arm opening bowler/chucker :wink:

Dad actually kept playing cricket into his 40's until he finally got to play in the same team as my older brother Anthony and myself, so there were the 3 Ryles's in the same team. I was still playing under 15's at the same time as well as playing alongside Dad. I think looking back to those days in his team is what gave me my will to win at all costs and also made me the player i became. Playing senior cricket from the age of 13/14 was a great grounding for me personally.

Looking back at when Brompton started i remember that single old tin shed that was the clubrooms and also had a single 5c poker machine sitting on the bar. GEEZ if only they new back then how big poker machines would become :)

MAL were you there the Thursday night when i as a very young kid was swinging on the old soccer goals when it came tumbling over and landed on my face. I will never forget the look on Dads face when he came rushing out to my screams and seeing his young boy flat on his back with the soccer goals stuck on top of me. As he normally would he picked me up, brushed the dirt and crap off my face and said YOUR OK BOY YOUR A RYLES YOU WILL SURVIVE and we went back into that tin shed :shock:

He certainly taught me to handle anything life through at me.
ryles-kennels

Postby mal » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:34 pm

Colin was one of my first cricket captains
I learnt plenty of him as a schoolkid
One of things was you have a better chance of winning a bowling trophy if your captain...
mal
Coach

Postby ryles-kennels » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:39 pm

mal wrote:Colin was one of my first cricket captains
I learnt plenty of him as a schoolkid
One of things was you have a better chance of winning a bowling trophy if your captain...

:lol: The only 2 bowling trophys ive seen of his are the ones say 7 for 4 and 6 for 3 which aint bad bowling.

I also think it was Dougie Spooner that nicknamed him BLACKFELLA as well. Dad aso gave Dougie Spooner the nickname SARFRAZ NAWAZ due to Dougie's unmistakeable Moustache.

P.S. MAL!

I like the idea of an Over 35's 20/20 cricket comp played on Sundays with plenty of the Amber Liquid afterwards.
ryles-kennels

Postby ryles-kennels » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Magpies96 wrote:Training is once again at St Jays (Salisbury) from 6.30pm to 7.30pm

Tuesday 9/9

Great to see a few new players last week, if you are interested just pop along and see the guys in the Fitzroy shirts.

We have also confirmed two 20/20 games with Western 11 at Wingfield Oval on the Saturday on the October long weekend.

May have to turn up for the 20/20 game at Wingfield.
ryles-kennels

Postby Magpies96 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:25 pm

Hey guys, good to hear from you both.

Mal, are you The Mal Davies?

Geoff, would love to see you at the 20/20 game. If you boys would like to send me a private message on your email address and I can add you to our data base on former players.

This year we had a 20/20 game of ex cricketers v footballers and we plan to do that every season, to encourage more guys back to the club and a catch up.

Shane Kelly

Left to right:
Standing: Steve Jeavons, Tony Genery, Doug Holst (Dougie), Scott Whitmore (Big Bird), Greg Hunt (Hunty), Gerry MacMahon (Cookas), Ian Nelson, Adam Trimmer (in place for Justin Valente)
Kneeling: John Shierlaw, Tim Smith (Prez) and Kerry O’Leary (Kezza)
Fitzroy Cricket Club
Magpies96
Under 16s

Postby ryles-kennels » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:44 pm

GEEZ Steve Jeavons and Ian Nelson look like they havent aged at all. Scotty Whitmore certainly has though.

P.S. MAL on here is NOT THE Mal Davies!

Is Tim Smith the president of the club now?
ryles-kennels

Postby Pidge » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

ryles-kennels wrote:GEEZ Steve Jeavons and Ian Nelson look like they havent aged at all. Scotty Whitmore certainly has though.

P.S. MAL on here is NOT THE Mal Davies!

Is Tim Smith the president of the club now?

Tim Smith was president until last year when he decided to play tennis. Shane Kelly took over the role and has done a great job.
It's Somma Time!
Pidge
League - Top 5

Postby mal » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:50 pm

I recognise 2 of those old pricks
JOHN SHIELAW
DOUG HOLST
Former team-mates

I was down the Parade today and bumped into another former team-mate
VINNIE FAMELLI
He still remembers the day I ran him out 3 decades ago
mal
Coach

Postby Pidge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:27 pm

Training is now Thursdays at 5pm. Trial Twenty20 matches are on the October Long Weekend (Saturday) from 12:30 onwards
It's Somma Time!
Pidge
League - Top 5

Postby Magpies96 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:51 pm

Left to right:
Standing: Steve Jeavons, Tony Genery, Doug Holst (Dougie), Scott Whitmore (Big Bird), Greg Hunt (Hunty), Gerry MacMahon (Cookas), Ian Nelson, Adam Trimmer (in place for Justin Valente)
Kneeling: John Shierlaw, Tim Smith (Prez) and Kerry O’Leary (Kezza)
[/quote]

Calling all of these players and some of the guys who missed out last year, the 20/20 game against the past cricketers v Fitzroy Football Club will be played from Midday on Feb 8th at our West Lakes ground Jubilee Park, Sansom Rd West Lakes Shore. Everyone is welcome to attend, especially past and current footballers and cricketers. BBQ and drinks will be available.
Go the Roys!
Fitzroy Cricket Club
Magpies96
Under 16s

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps