Sturt wins SACA Grade Premiership

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Sturt wins SACA Grade Premiership

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:29 pm

The Sturt District Cricket Club won the 2005-06 SACA Grade Premiership when it defeated Adelaide DCC by 19 runs today at Adelaide Oval.

Sturt won the toss and batted first but collapsed to be 7/123. Jason Borgas (40), Cameron Borgas (23) and Mark Littlewood (25) were the only ones to apply scoreboard pressure. Test fast bowler Jason Gillespie took 3 early wickets for Adelaide.

A mini revivial saw the Blues end their innings with 164. Glenn Ashmead made 25, Gillespie took 3/56 from 21 overs and Dan Cullen 3/28 from 17 overs.

Blues opening bowler Ashmead ripped through Adelaide's top order leaving them struggling at 3/14 overnight. Bradman Medallist Luke Williams was back in the pavilion having scored only 3.

Adelaide recovered to be "cruising" at 5/130 with Ben Johnson and wicketkeeper McLean having added 57 for the 6th wicket. Sturt captain Ben Higgins introduced himself to the crease and immediately struck having Ben Johnson (64) caught by Cullen Bailey. Gillespie and Cullen both departed for ducks and McLean was run out for 41. Higgins bowled the final batsman Brad Bevan, also for a duck and Adelaide were dismissed for 145, 19 runs short of Sturt's total. Higgins ended with 4/3 from 6 overs, Ashmead 3/29 from 13.

Sturt batted for 29 overs, making 0/90 in their 2nd Innings before Adelaide conceded defeat. Glenn Ashmead (Sturt) won the David Hookes Medal for Man of the Match. Go the mighty Blue Boys!!!!!

Also of note: Dizzy Gillespie has finally cut off his mullet :)
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Tiger Couple » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:24 am

That makes it twice in two years that Adelaide have been the Bridesmaids. Still they have been the dominant power of Grade Cricket the last 5-6 seasons.
Tiger Couple
Under 16s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:35 am

Sturt were minor premiers, and over the past 7 seasons, Kensington won 3 premierships, Adelaide only 1. I would argue that Adelaide have been 'dominant'.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby Tiger Couple » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:40 am

Adelaid have played in the last 3 Grand Finals in a row and I think they may have played in a couple before that. They have also played in a few One day Grand Finals in this period as well. So I would say they have been pretty dominant.
Tiger Couple
Under 16s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Jimmy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:33 am

as much as i detested the sdcc, im glad that won, coz i cant stand adel, couldnt have happened to a nicer bunch of pricks.. :roll:

btw, maddogmike wont be happy (i think he is a buffalo man ;).
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:34 am

We'll have to agree to diasgree. There have been other clubs to achieve just as muxh as Adelaide over the past decade.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps