Southern Cricket Association 2009-10

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Southern Cricket Association 2009-10

Postby Jabber » Wed May 19, 2010 1:09 pm

wycbloods wrote:
shoe boy wrote:
wycbloods wrote:Will other clubs leave the SCA when Cove do?

The SCA and ALL member clubs have a meeting next Mon night.

To decide that the SCA will fold? And discuss which comps they will join?

Genuine questions.

You would think that the comp is toof ar gone now for repair, and it doesnt look like an atractive comp to enter when you have comps either side of it thriving... put the dog down!
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby shoe boy » Wed May 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Look if Cove move on be it, but a sad day for the SCA
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby interested observer » Wed May 19, 2010 2:31 pm

shoe boy wrote:Look if Cove move on be it, but a sad day for the SCA

No Reynella, No Cove...
I'm afraid the comp is on death row..
Very sad...
interested observer
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Bag The Points » Wed May 19, 2010 2:38 pm

shoe boy wrote:

Where, SB ?
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time

Postby shoe boy » Wed May 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Bag The Points wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Where, SB ?

I believe C/Beach as Harvey Jolly wants to be involved.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby allrounder » Wed May 19, 2010 3:11 pm

The meeting is to be held at the Port Noarlunga club rooms at 7:30pm next Monday.
Up the Potters
allrounder
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby smithy » Wed May 19, 2010 4:43 pm

2 clubs were talking to southern at bice last night.
Any info on why shoeboy ?

Got told next mondays meeting is just a scheduled normal meeting, no emergency.
smithy

Postby wycbloods » Wed May 19, 2010 4:46 pm

smithy wrote:2 clubs were talking to southern at bice last night.

Shouldn't be an emergency but they should be showing some urgency i would think.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jnr.

CoverKing said what?

Agree with AF on this one!
wycbloods
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby smithy » Wed May 19, 2010 4:54 pm

wycbloods wrote:

Shouldn't be an emergency but they should be showing some urgency i would think.

Same rumours were doing the rounds last year and nothing happened other than all the clubs agreeing to stick together and try and improve the situation.
I'd say that unless something else official is announced, the association will just carry on as normal and assume the previous agreement of sticking together still stands.

If clubs are planning on leaving, they need to communicate with the SCA and tell them when and why, otherwise it could be just another beat up like last year.
smithy

Postby Jabber » Thu May 20, 2010 8:15 am

smithy wrote:
wycbloods wrote:

Same rumours were doing the rounds last year and nothing happened other than all the clubs agreeing to stick together and try and improve the situation.
I'd say that unless something else official is announced, the association will just carry on as normal and assume the previous agreement of sticking together still stands.

If clubs are planning on leaving, they need to communicate with the SCA and tell them when and why, otherwise it could be just another beat up like last year.

The captain on the titanic could have told his crew to "stick together" but that wasn't going to help keep the ship afloat.

What has been asked of the clubs to actually improve the situation, and intern what has the association told the clubs that it is going to do to improve the situation?

The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Postby smithy » Thu May 20, 2010 2:39 pm

I stand corrected.
It is a non scheduled, hastily arranged meeting to decide the future of the SCA.
smithy

Postby krustymirkin » Thu May 20, 2010 2:52 pm

nothing underhanded or disceiving was discussed,as the 2 clubs delegates are also committee members of the assoc.Reassurance and support was all that was talked about and the paths that could be taken by the SCA.Tough road ahead and work to be done but a long way from being dead. :)
krustymirkin
Rookie

Postby smithy » Thu May 20, 2010 5:32 pm

krustymirkin wrote:nothing underhanded or disceiving was discussed,as the 2 clubs delegates are also committee members of the assoc.Reassurance and support was all that was talked about and the paths that could be taken by the SCA.Tough road ahead and work to be done but a long way from being dead. :)

I certainly want the SCA to survive, but I'm not sure you're going to keep the clubs interested with a 5 team A Grade, or if flaggies come in a 6 team A Grade, but how competitive is it going to be.

You'd be putting teams in the a grade just to make up the numbers, floggings occur and more players lose interest and go somewhere else.

One of Coves concerns was losing juniors to SHeidow once they reached 16, because they can have another year of juniors in the A&SCA.
Maybe the SCA for starters can change to a U13's, 15's and 17's to keep the kids interested for another year at least.

I really think the horse has bolted this time and it would take a miracle to get the SCA back on track, as much as it pains me.
smithy

Postby krustymirkin » Thu May 20, 2010 5:45 pm

smithy wrote:
krustymirkin wrote:nothing underhanded or disceiving was discussed,as the 2 clubs delegates are also committee members of the assoc.Reassurance and support was all that was talked about and the paths that could be taken by the SCA.Tough road ahead and work to be done but a long way from being dead. :)

I certainly want the SCA to survive, but I'm not sure you're going to keep the clubs interested with a 5 team A Grade, or if flaggies come in a 6 team A Grade, but how competitive is it going to be.

You'd be putting teams in the a grade just to make up the numbers, floggings occur and more players lose interest and go somewhere else.

One of Coves concerns was losing juniors to SHeidow once they reached 16, because they can have another year of juniors in the A&SCA.
Maybe the SCA for starters can change to a U13's, 15's and 17's to keep the kids interested for another year at least.

I really think the horse has bolted this time and it would take a miracle to get the SCA back on track, as much as it pains me.

All sides were given the opportunity to change age limit last year and voted against, including Cove.Flagstaff were always coming back to a grade or were facing fines imposed a few years ago about having 2 years to build up for a return,worries about down the road make more sense than SCA.
krustymirkin
Rookie

Postby sherminator » Thu May 20, 2010 5:59 pm

Surely there are other options about rather than folding the league? I know I am an outsider so I don't know a great deal about the clubs and league etc, I just think it would be a shame to see it go.

Smithy, you mentioned maybe Flaggies going up to make a 6 team comp, would they be competitive? GSCA only had 8 teams this year with two from Compass and there has been a 6 team A grade comp in recent years. I guess its not ideal, but better than nothing??

What about some former clubs such as Reynella & Valleys? Could they be enticed back, even if it is just a B or C grade?

What about Southern Districts? I recall they had a side in Southern at some stage. Could they do that again? I would imagine they get quite a few players out of the SCA so would be in their best interests to see the league continue. Is there anything they can do at least in the short term until things get better?

Apologies if the above is irrelevant!
sherminator
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Olympic Dam

Postby smithy » Thu May 20, 2010 9:29 pm

krustymirkin wrote:
smithy wrote:

All sides were given the opportunity to change age limit last year and voted against, including Cove.

Well thats just ridiculous them voting against it considering I was speaking to half dozen of their players early last season and they were all complaining about losing players to Sheidow because they had 17's.
smithy

Postby smithy » Thu May 20, 2010 9:49 pm

sherminator wrote:Surely there are other options about rather than folding the league? I know I am an outsider so I don't know a great deal about the clubs and league etc, I just think it would be a shame to see it go.

Smithy, you mentioned maybe Flaggies going up to make a 6 team comp, would they be competitive? GSCA only had 8 teams this year with two from Compass and there has been a 6 team A grade comp in recent years. I guess its not ideal, but better than nothing??

What about some former clubs such as Reynella & Valleys? Could they be enticed back, even if it is just a B or C grade?

What about Southern Districts? I recall they had a side in Southern at some stage. Could they do that again? I would imagine they get quite a few players out of the SCA so would be in their best interests to see the league continue. Is there anything they can do at least in the short term until things get better?

I think folding isn't on the agenda anyway mate.
I'm sure Gary Bilney and the committee will try their hardest to make sure it doesn't happen.
Reynella, no chance of returning.
Valleys, possibly, it's a seasonal rumour they'll return but it never eventuates.

I guess the most concerning thing is, IN MY OPINION, that the comp shows no sign of growing, just keep losing teams.

I'll give you some comparisons.
1988 - SCA has 10 A GRade, 12 B GRade, 12 C GRade, 10 D GRade and 6 E GRade Teams.

In this time the Onkaparinga Council population has grown by over 400%

2010 - A GRade teams 5-6, B Grade 6, C Grade 10, NO D Grade, No E Grade

As has been mentioned earlier - TEAMS FOLDED - Hackham, Sullies, MAwson, Christies BEach, Seaford
RELOCATED - McLaren Vale or Districts, Aldinga, Valleys, Reynella,

INS - Seaford Rise, Hamilton and ICC

9 clubs lost and 3 clubs in, this despite such a large population growth.

If there are any crusty GSCA players out there that can give me a comparison between 1988 and now for their association I'd like to see the comparison.
I can almost guarantee without seeing the stats, that the GSCA has grown and the SCA has sadly gone backwards.
smithy

Postby Jabber » Thu May 20, 2010 10:30 pm

I reckon its all going to be a bit of too little too late now, crisis talks should have occured when it went to 8 teams, put the hand brakes on, source the problem, rectify it.

the body is now heamoraging (or however u spell it) and a few stitches now aint going to breathe life back into this puppy.

And it cannot be geographical, because ICC and Sheidow in ASCA now has 6 or 7 teams plus extremely healthy junior programs, and a new club formed in ASCA this year called South Coasters. Coromandel & Coromandel Ramblers have always fielded 3-4-5 sides each.

The evidence is there that people in the south are still playing cricket.

So why is SCA on life support?

smithy wrote:
sherminator wrote:Surely there are other options about rather than folding the league? I know I am an outsider so I don't know a great deal about the clubs and league etc, I just think it would be a shame to see it go.

I think folding isn't on the agenda anyway mate.
I'm sure Gary Bilney and the committee will try their hardest to make sure it doesn't happen.
Reynella, no chance of returning.
Valleys, possibly, it's a seasonal rumour they'll return but it never eventuates.

I guess the most concerning thing is, IN MY OPINION, that the comp shows no sign of growing, just keep losing teams.

I'll give you some comparisons.
1988 - SCA has 10 A GRade, 12 B GRade, 12 C GRade, 10 D GRade and 6 E GRade Teams.

In this time the Onkaparinga Council population has grown by over 400%

2010 - A GRade teams 5-6, B Grade 6, C Grade 10, NO D Grade, No E Grade

As has been mentioned earlier - TEAMS FOLDED - Hackham, Sullies, MAwson, Christies BEach, Seaford
RELOCATED - McLaren Vale or Districts, Aldinga, Valleys, Reynella,

INS - Seaford Rise, Hamilton and ICC

9 clubs lost and 3 clubs in, this despite such a large population growth.

If there are any crusty GSCA players out there that can give me a comparison between 1988 and now for their association I'd like to see the comparison.
I can almost guarantee without seeing the stats, that the GSCA has grown and the SCA has sadly gone backwards.
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Postby sherminator » Fri May 21, 2010 3:07 pm

smithy wrote:If there are any crusty GSCA players out there that can give me a comparison between 1988 and now for their association I'd like to see the comparison.

Couldn't tell you the change since 1988 but currently the association is definitely stronger numbers wise. I think it helps that there is no competition in the area, meaning if you live on the South Coast you still have a choice of clubs to play at but they're all in the same competition whereas if you live at Morphett Vale, Reynella etc. you can choose which comp you want to play in and go to the 'local' club represented (if that makes any sense!).

In the 09/10 season GSCA had 11 clubs and 31 senior teams spread over 4 grades - 8xA; 9xB; 8xC1 & 6xC2 (C grade was split a few years back as there was a huge standard differential between the top and bottom teams - why they don't call it D Grade I don't know!).

Of the 11 clubs Compass, Goolwa & McLarens all have 4 senior sides.

I think the fortunes of McLaren Districts over the last 15 years provides a good comparison. During the Southern days they struggled to fill two sides and lost more than they won in the A's and at various times had no juniors at all. I remember playing u16's in a team that had 10 year olds playing just to fill the side. The Vale has grown considerably since then and the club has 4 senior sides, 1 u16 & 2 u14's and with multiple housing estates going up in McLaren Flat you would think they will only get stronger. Not sure about u12's etc. as I'm no longer at the club.
sherminator
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Olympic Dam

Postby Reader » Fri May 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Cove wanting to move on is poor form, we all know that the SCA is struggling and no one involved is or should be happy about it. Clubs running away to other associations is an easy option out, instead of digging in and together with the other clubs and SCA committee working on bringing the SCA back from where it is now to what it was. The A grade this year was the most even the comp has been for many years. Apart from the Shoes not a lot split the rest in terms of win/loss. If Flaggies and Happy Valley were to re-enter the A grade it would be back up to 8 teams. Flaggies may struggle but so have Morphett Vale and Kangarilla in the past but that can be turned around with Kangies making the finals this year and Morphett Vale only missing out by percentage. I think Cove players and committee should think long and hard about a move and the possible impact it will have on an association that has incorporated Cove for so long and shared in such great success and memories.

Lets not let the SCA die!
Reader
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps