Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:48 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:On a side note, my girl scored her first A Grade runs on Sunday, going in at 6 for bugger all, she managed 18 not out off 31 balls against a strong Jets attack in difficult conditions.

Great to hear!

There's no substitute for a few runs and wickets, especially when the team is under the pump. Makes a player feel that they belong and are up to the level. Earns the respect of their new team mates.

T20 double header is a good idea too. Helps bring the men's and women's sides of the club together

Exactly, I was expecting a lean year so it was good for her to gain some confidence as she hit 3 boundaries, she's only 13 and they have told us as long as she attends training and quits her hard wicket team they will play her in the A's all season to develop her skills.
She's recently changed her medium pacers to offies and she picked up the wicket of a very accomplished player on the weekend caught behind.

I agree, it's a good ploy to get everyone on the same page and see some unity in the club.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:02 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:On a side note, my girl scored her first A Grade runs on Sunday, going in at 6 for bugger all, she managed 18 not out off 31 balls against a strong Jets attack in difficult conditions.

Great to hear!

There's no substitute for a few runs and wickets, especially when the team is under the pump. Makes a player feel that they belong and are up to the level. Earns the respect of their new team mates.

T20 double header is a good idea too. Helps bring the men's and women's sides of the club together

Exactly, I was expecting a lean year so it was good for her to gain some confidence as she hit 3 boundaries, she's only 13 and they have told us as long as she attends training and quits her hard wicket team they will play her in the A's all season to develop her skills.
She's recently changed her medium pacers to offies and she picked up the wicket of a very accomplished player on the weekend caught behind.

I agree, it's a good ploy to get everyone on the same page and see some unity in the club.

I'm surprised that more clubs don't play 20/20's on a Sunday. Revenue opportunities with either a 2nd team friendly v a Turf club or juniors of the competing teams.

Do the two games use the same wicket?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby The Angry Bull » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:18 pm

heater31 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:

Great to hear!

I'm surprised that more clubs don't play 20/20's on a Sunday. Revenue opportunities with either a 2nd team friendly v a Turf club or juniors of the competing teams.

If I recall correctly TTG hosted Port Adelaide juniors prior to a senior T20 a number of years ago (u/19's game i believe). It was a great day. a Young Jason Roy bullied our u/19s and then backed it up in the A grade for Port. I think it may have been a SACA initiative with all clubs that round required to do so. Don't know why they didnt follow it up again. I had always found the Tuesday T20's were poorly timed, given the time you're traveling to these matches are usually in peak hour, also making it a difficult decision for a spectator to attend.
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Postby heater31 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:21 pm

Sunday afternoon at 3pm would be ideal. Done and dusted by 6pm no farcical finishes to matches due to poor light....
heater31

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:46 pm

One year they had triple headers. From memory it was U/15's, U/18's then A Grade on Sundays.

Fantastic days. Real club builders. Decent crowds, good money spinners.

Got discontinued because the grade clubs complained that it placed too much stress on club volunteers. Sigh
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:05 pm

heater31 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:

Great to hear!

I would think so.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:12 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:One year they had triple headers. From memory it was U/15's, U/18's then A Grade on Sundays.

Fantastic days. Real club builders. Decent crowds, good money spinners.

Got discontinued because the grade clubs complained that it placed too much stress on club volunteers. Sigh

I used to run a competition independently with 3 rival clubs from the PDCA.
All games were double headers involving all 4 clubs, first game would commence at noon, second one at 3pm, each club got to host a double header with the reigning champ to host the final day (which also included 3rd vs 4th)

All clubs were to police their own supporters to not bring their own alcohol, we had set prices for all venues to provide "cheap drinks" to ensure that spectators patronized the home club.

It worked out really well, I know our worst return for any of our home days was about $1800, money for jam.

We once had a game where a team was bundled out for 20 odd and the game was wrapped up in no time so a heap of kids and women formed two sides and squeezed in a T20 aswell just bowling from the one end to save time.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:03 pm

Some decent wraps on Matthew Fisher, young Pom from Yorkshire who is at Adelaide. Haven't seen him but apparently bowls alright. Decent pace and variety.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:12 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Some decent wraps on Matthew Fisher, young Pom from Yorkshire who is at Adelaide. Haven't seen him but apparently bowls alright. Decent pace and variety.

First Class Debut at 17 years old so Yorkshire rate him highly. Bats 6 in the 2's yet can only get 8, 9 & 10 down here :shock:
heater31

Postby abber » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:54 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Some decent wraps on Matthew Fisher, young Pom from Yorkshire who is at Adelaide. Haven't seen him but apparently bowls alright. Decent pace and variety.

It makes me laugh. Southern don't get to see any of these promising English types We have a young man from Vanuatu sent over by Shane Deitz. Never seen a turf pitch before Round 1.

Terrific young man and really enjoying his experience here.
abber
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:19 pm

abber wrote:

It makes me laugh. Southern don't get to see any of these promising English types We have a young man from Vanuatu sent over by Shane Deitz. Never seen a turf pitch before Round 1.

Was Hatchett an Englishman?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Stumps » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:31 pm

abber wrote:

Your point?
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:10 pm

Hundred to Tyson Bray from Northerns. Was that his debut?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:14 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Hundred to Tyson Bray from Northerns. Was that his debut?

Alex Gregory doubled up! Sturt 400 plus 2 games in a row :shock:
heater31

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:36 pm

heater31 wrote:

Alex Gregory doubled up! Sturt 400 plus 2 games in a row :shock:

Cossie with 172 from 181 balls, 24 4s and 2 6s.
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 225 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:00 pm

A few Poms who were coming out here apparently didn't make it through customs!

Sent back home.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:A few Poms who were coming out here apparently didn't make it through customs!

Sent back home.

10 in the past 6 weeks I believe. Doesn't immigration realise they arrived by plane and not by boat ;)
heater31

Postby the star » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:29 am

Yeah it was his debut, not a bad way to start! Sharing a 260 run partnership with Cosgrove you can only imagine would have added 10 games of experience to the young fella.

Notice Ludeman had a bowl as well!
the star
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Tasman

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:48 pm

the star wrote:

Yeah it was his debut, not a bad way to start! Sharing a 260 run partnership with Cosgrove you can only imagine would have added 10 games of experience to the young fella.

Notice Ludeman had a bowl as well!

Pop quiz... who was the last player to make a hundred in their A Grade debut?

Buggered if I know
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby The Bedge » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:59 pm

I want to know now haha!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps