Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:35 pm

Merger talk obviously dominating discussion as it should but any other stuff going on around the place?

Retirements? Coaches finishing up?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby heater31 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:08 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Merger talk obviously dominating discussion as it should but any other stuff going on around the place?

Jamie Panelli retiring to the LO's next year?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:32 pm

heater31 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Merger talk obviously dominating discussion as it should but any other stuff going on around the place?

Yeah he's retired from the A's. Might play C's/D's I think.

Hearing that a few young blokes have been offered rookie deals interstate
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:07 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Any idea of who TC?
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby backoftheroom » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:43 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me if Kelvin Smith goes looking for a change of scenery. I'm told Tasmania have approached him in the past, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had got in touch. Zampa not getting a CA contract means SACA might not be able to hold on to the some being spoken to quite as easily too. Kelvin smith leaving would be my guess, if I had to pick one.
backoftheroom

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:57 pm

backoftheroom wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me if Kelvin Smith goes looking for a change of scenery. I'm told Tasmania have approached him in the past, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had got in touch. Zampa not getting a CA contract means SACA might not be able to hold on to the some being spoken to quite as easily too. Kelvin smith leaving would be my guess, if I had to pick one.

CA are holding a 'draft combine' this year so every state can have a close look at talent moving out of the under age ranks and if their home state doesn't want them they are free to move.

Don't forget Tasmania have over half their squad off contract and they finished last....they will be looking to refresh the list.

Have heard they have been after a spinner from the eastern states.
heater31

Postby Aerie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:17 pm

My solution to Premier Cricket with reasons as follows:

Two main goals of Premier Cricket
1) Casting the net far and wide at young age to get kids playing cricket and providing high quality pathways through to talent squads and senior cricket for all of South Australia.
2) Highly competitive and meaningful 1st Grade competition, providing elite standard to close gap to Futures League and State Cricket.

Reducing clubs conflicts with number 1, however I believe number 2 could still be achieved, as laid out below. Some clubs contribute strongly to number 1 or number 2, but not both. However, all clubs have a place. Merged clubs rarely work, especially if forced. Allow nature to take its course. Once a club is gone you can't bring it back. Build on what is there, strengthen clubs, don't weaken them.

Investing in Premier Cricket
- Guaranteed funding for all clubs so clubs can budget well in advance from season to season, provided clubs check off against a clear and realistic list of expectations.
- Transparent in what the funding is being used for by clubs back to SACA.
- Invest in Hills/Murraylands club based in Mt Barker, fully incorporating existing cricket clubs in the area.
- Invest in Barossa club based in Gawler, fully incorporating existing cricket clubs in the area.
- Invest in continued improvement of Southern Districts.
- Remove significant funding incentive for merged club, instead only offering set up costs.
- Remove funding of Premier League after this 3 year stint as 1st Grade will be strong enough.

Provide strong pathways for the entire population of Greater Adelaide. From Tanunda, to Murray Bridge, to Strathalbyn and Aldinga, you would be within 30 minutes of a Premier Cricket Club.

Keep cricket affordable to play. This relies on volunteers and well structured clubs generating income from money over the bar, members, sponsors and traditional fundraising activities. Feeling comfortable and confident going forward instead of feeling stressed and uncertain will greatly assist clubs in getting the best volunteers available and concentrating on what really matters - that is the cricket.

Structure of the Competition

- 2016/17 final season with 13 teams in 1st Grade, bottom relegated to 2nd Grade - with full funding.
- 2017/18 final season with 12 teams in 1st Grade, bottom 2 relegated to 2nd Grade - with full funding.

2018/19 season and going forward:

1st Grade - 10 Teams with relegation/promotion based on 2 Day comp.
- Main 2 Day Comp
- 1 Day Comp
- T20 Comp with all clubs

All Grades below including juniors include all clubs in mixed 2 day/1 day comp. Optional fielding of Junior Whites teams and 4th Grade team.

If club not in Premier Grade wins 2nd Grade Premiership, they replace bottom 1st Grade team from 2 day comp the next season.

Transfer Fees

To Encourage Junior Player development and to somewhat protect clubs being demoted to 2nd Grade, the following would apply for players switching between Premier Cricket Clubs. Obviously you want the best players in the State playing 1st Grade - so transfer between clubs will become more common.

If player has played 10+ club A Grade games (either in 1st or 2nd Grade SACA competition) or Under 19 years of age:

Free Transfer to be subject to independent committee or if player falls outside above.
Restricted Transfer of $x? (say $2000) which means original club has rights when returning to 1st Grade or transfer club must pay additional fee.
Unrestricted Transfer of $x? (say $4000) giving player full clearance.

20% of all transfer fees go to SACA for Game Development. 80% to original Premier Cricket Club.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 512 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:45 pm

Not bad there Aerie some good well thought out solutions.

I will disagree about your point number 1, I dont think the role of a premier club is to cast the net far and wide to get kids playing cricket, this is the role of all small suburban and country clubs across the state. Premier clubs role is to develop the kids that show above average promise at the lower levels,
I think the current scattergun approach of the Jets ( only one i can comment on) where any kid can rock up and more than likely get a game is counter productive. This leads to kids thinking they are better than what they are and when inevitably they are cut it leads to chat amongst parents etc that isnt favourable towards the Jets, again counter productive. Is this approach taken because there is too many junior teams to fill??
Do the better clubs have guys go and watch the suburban junior cricket and identify kids they are interested in? As far as i know the Jets dont. Would it be beneficial for some funding in this area to identify junior talent?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2431 times
Been liked: 1669 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Aerie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:01 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Not bad there Aerie some good well thought out solutions.

I will disagree about your point number 1, I dont think the role of a premier club is to cast the net far and wide to get kids playing cricket, this is the role of all small suburban and country clubs across the state. Premier clubs role is to develop the kids that show above average promise at the lower levels,
I think the current scattergun approach of the Jets ( only one i can comment on) where any kid can rock up and more than likely get a game is counter productive. This leads to kids thinking they are better than what they are and when inevitably they are cut it leads to chat amongst parents etc that isnt favourable towards the Jets, again counter productive. Is this approach taken because there is too many junior teams to fill??
Do the better clubs have guys go and watch the suburban junior cricket and identify kids they are interested in? As far as i know the Jets dont. Would it be beneficial for some funding in this area to identify junior talent?

Yes a fair call. It should be the responsibility of all cricket clubs to get kids playing cricket. Certainly there must also be good relations between the community cricket clubs and their Premier clubs also. I know West Torrens works closely with Fulham and Grange, as well as the Yorke Peninsula and there are stacks of kids wanting to play cricket and getting an opportunity to do so

In terms of getting kids to play cricket - I am also referring to choosing cricket instead of other sports. The more talent to choose from, the more likely you are to get a future star. The more quality facilities to go with the better private schools, the better. Hence, clubs like University and Woodville have a role to play, despite lacking in juniors.

You then funnel that talent, ending up with a smaller 1st Grade comp, leading on to State and International cricket, whilst still providing that club atmosphere, which is important in the development of a person both on and off field.
Aerie
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:14 pm

Any word on how discussions between Port and WT are going? didnt they need an agreement by this week?
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Aerie » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:48 am

Footy Smart wrote:Any word on how discussions between Port and WT are going? didnt they need an agreement by this week?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 1a173b47a3

According to that article, WT and PA are committed to entering merger discussions - which is what was needed to be decided by April 8th.

Over 260 people at the two WT Presentations (Senior Men/Women & Juniors) over the last weekend. WT and PA (and previously Woodville) volunteers doing an amazing job keeping the clubs together despite Bradshaw and the SACA Board doing their best to try and destroy them. What a shameful period this will be for those SACA Board Members and the South Australian Cricket Association in general.
Aerie
Coach

Postby C Horse » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Aerie wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:Any word on how discussions between Port and WT are going? didnt they need an agreement by this week?

According to that article, WT and PA are committed to entering merger discussions - which is what was needed to be decided by April 8th.

Over 260 people at the two WT Presentations (Senior Men/Women & Juniors) over the last weekend. WT and PA (and previously Woodville) volunteers doing an amazing job keeping the clubs together despite Bradshaw and the SACA Board doing their best to try and destroy them. What a shameful period this will be for those SACA Board Members and the South Australian Cricket Association in general.

Interesting non commital comment from port Adelaide.
My mail is that WT are desperate to merge whereas Port are going to take their chances standing alone.
A big big decision to be made by SACA - do they have the stones to follow through?
C Horse
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Shark_Hunter » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:43 pm

C Horse wrote:
Aerie wrote:

My mail is that WT are desperate to merge whereas Port are going to take their chances standing alone.
A big big decision to be made by SACA - do they have the stones to follow through?

Either you're trying to stir up sh*t or you've got very bad mail. Why would either club be desperate to merge? If WT were so desperate, why would they have knocked back Prospect (allegedly) a few weeks back?

I may end up homeless, but I'd bet my house these two clubs will still be stand alone next season. SACA is under fire from all directions at the moment and it is only going to get worse for them in the near future.
Shark_Hunter
Under 16s

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:42 pm

Is there actually a parliamentary inquiry in the works?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Is there actually a parliamentary inquiry in the works?

Nothing Listed at present. Plus I'm sure it would be at the bottom of the list given they would all be running around like headless chooks today with the events in Whyalla the past 24 hours.....

Nothing posted on Caica's Facebook page since the initial online petition on March 24.
heater31

Postby oyster » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:12 pm

Shark_Hunter wrote:
C Horse wrote:
Aerie wrote:

Either you're trying to stir up sh*t or you've got very bad mail. Why would either club be desperate to merge? If WT were so desperate, why would they have knocked back Prospect (allegedly) a few weeks back?

I may end up homeless, but I'd bet my house these two clubs will still be stand alone next season. SACA is under fire from all directions at the moment and it is only going to get worse for them in the near future.

You won't be homeless, if your mail is the same as mine. Which I think it is. West Torrens won't be merging with anyone.
There will be no mergers either next year or any other year, unless University are pushed out.
I wouldn't be banking on any mergers between West Torrens or Port either now, or the future.
Both clubs WILL BE stand alone clubs next season in a 13 team comp. The SACA is under more fire than Normandy, on D Day.
Agreed, there will be more shit to hit the SACA's doorstep very shortly (next week), if my mail is correct. :evil: :evil:
Wouldn't be expecting either club to roll over at anytime. If anyone wants to lay a wager that these clubs will merge, then I'll take your $$$ now
Never take on a mungril dog and expect to win, or expect to come away unscathed. A mungril dog will always fight right to the bitter end.
I don't think the SACA knew of high profile connections that people from both clubs have, and have support from. To the very, very, very top.
oyster
Rookie

Postby maxi » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:11 am

Or even a mongrel dog. Sounds like both clubs have people in high places
maxi
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:17 am

oyster wrote:Both clubs WILL BE stand alone clubs next season in a 13 team comp. The SACA is under more fire than Normandy, on D Day.

You really think the SACA are gonna do a full backflip on this? Surely not?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4053 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:56 am

Zartan wrote:
oyster wrote:Both clubs WILL BE stand alone clubs next season in a 13 team comp. The SACA is under more fire than Normandy, on D Day.

Given how things have panned out so far nothing is off the table...... :roll:
heater31

Postby oyster » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:47 pm

Zartan wrote:

Have you ever thought the SACA won't have any alternative but to do as their told, as opposed to them doing a backflip? :oops: :oops:
Last edited by oyster on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oyster
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps