Is he out?

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Is he out?

Postby sports follower » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:29 pm

catchit wrote:yeah leg is good just starting to put a bit of wieght on it now.. will be in the nets in about 3 weeks i reckon..

Playing after Xmas then all going well.
sports follower
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby catchit » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:30 pm

Plumb wrote:
catchit wrote:yeah leg is good just starting to put a bit of wieght on it now.. will be in the nets in about 3 weeks i reckon..

Any chance of a return this season??

1st game after christmas at worst i would think..
I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.
catchit
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Mr_Willy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 am

catchit wrote:
smithy wrote:ICC Sharks V Plympton a few moons ago.
ICC batsman's middle stump goes back 10 metres but the bails bobble up and wedge together not dislodging.
Is this out given that it takes the bails to be dislodged to be given run out ?

FWIW the batsman did walk but it was a talking point over a beer later.

which section of the video libary was that in??
surely not a true story...

I remember reading about something similar in grade cricket. Don't think the stump was smashed back, but a guy got bowled and the bails lifted and wedged against each other so didn't fall....

In my opinion, even though the bails haven't fallen off they have still been dislodged, even if they are resting up against each other.... In a run out situation they only have to leave the grooves of the stumps, not actually fall to floor to be considered dislodged...
Mr_Willy
Coach

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Jabber » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:52 am

smithy wrote:It was Section 1 at Plymptons Oval.
Batsman was Brad Fry, can't remember the bowler.
I think the umpire was TOny Fromene.
Got a mention on KG's show during that week too.

I was fielding in the gully that day, the bowler was Kerry Saunders and he was bowling a blistering spell and was at his absolute prime, and i was interviewed on 5AA that week.

The batsman did not walk, the umpire Tony Fromaine gave him not out. We were all telling him to get off, the batsman wouldnt move.

Our keeper went up to the batsman and said something to the tune of 'look champ i dont know about you but if my middle stump just went cartwheeling 15m past the keeper i reckon i'd want to get off the ground'. Batsman then shrugged his shoulders and walked off!

I've spoken with many umpires over the years re this and they reckon they are unanimous in a ruling over it, yet everyone i speak with has a different point of view!

ICC weren't much chop that year, and we beat them outright.
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby Amateur Footy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:00 pm

Last season I attempted to drive a ball thru mid off but only managed to toe the ball straight down into the pitch. The ball bounced directly up and on my follow thru with the bat I again hit the ball (above my head) backwards to 2nd slip who took the catch. The opposition (again ICC Sharks!) appealed and the confused umpire gave me out.

Should I have been out?
Amateur Footy
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby wycbloods » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:03 pm

Amateur Footy wrote:Last season I attempted to drive a ball thru mid off but only managed to toe the ball straight down into the pitch. The ball bounced directly up and on my follow thru with the bat I again hit the ball (above my head) backwards to 2nd slip who took the catch. The opposition (again ICC Sharks!) appealed and the confused umpire gave me out.

Should I have been out?

yes because you play for the Ramblers :D ;)

I wouldn't have thought that would be out but i don't know for certain.

You did well to manage to hit the ball twice, i have enough problem hitting it once per ball.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jnr.

CoverKing said what?

Agree with AF on this one!
wycbloods
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:09 pm

Amateur Footy wrote:Last season I attempted to drive a ball thru mid off but only managed to toe the ball straight down into the pitch. The ball bounced directly up and on my follow thru with the bat I again hit the ball (above my head) backwards to 2nd slip who took the catch. The opposition (again ICC Sharks!) appealed and the confused umpire gave me out.

Should I have been out?

It's hit the ground already, it can't be out.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Mr_Willy wrote: In my opinion, even though the bails haven't fallen off they have still been dislodged, even if they are resting up against each other.... In a run out situation they only have to leave the grooves of the stumps, not actually fall to floor to be considered dislodged...

I would think that's not quite right. Surely the bails have to come off the stumps to be dislodged, even in a run out/stumping situation.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby smithy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:59 pm

Jabber wrote:

I was fielding in the gully that day, the bowler was Kerry Saunders and he was bowling a blistering spell and was at his absolute prime, and i was interviewed on 5AA that week.

The batsman did not walk, the umpire Tony Fromaine gave him not out. We were all telling him to get off, the batsman wouldnt move.

Our keeper went up to the batsman and said something to the tune of 'look champ i dont know about you but if my middle stump just went cartwheeling 15m past the keeper i reckon i'd want to get off the ground'. Batsman then shrugged his shoulders and walked off!

I've spoken with many umpires over the years re this and they reckon they are unanimous in a ruling over it, yet everyone i speak with has a different point of view!

That's pretty much how I remember it Jabber.
Batsman stuck around because of being given not out but thought since the middle stump has nearly harpooned into the keepers chest, he'll consider himself "bowled".
You are right also in saying that ICC were crap that year, although in the game in question, spadeboy McKay did bowl a very sharp opening spell to Mitsi.
I was very happy to knock the froth off a few later in those good clubrooms you have.
smithy

Postby the star » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:06 pm

i was bowling in an a grade district game couple years back , with international steve davis as the umpire clean bowled the batsman only for not to be given out as he didnt see the balls hit the stumps, i did ask him what game he was watching with a bit of a chuckle from the big fella, next ball went for 6 and i obviously was not happy, got that same batsman next over cleaned bowled him and i just walked back to the top of my mark, steve saw the irony in and raised his finger was quite funny at the time.
the star
Under 16s

Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Tasman

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:16 pm

the star wrote:i was bowling in an a grade district game couple years back , with international steve davis as the umpire. clean bowled the batsman, only for not to be given out as he didnt see the balls hit the stumps. i did ask him what game he was watching with a bit of a chuckle from the big fella. next ball went for 6 and i obviously was not happy. got that same batsman next over. cleaned bowled him and i just walked back to the top of my mark. steve saw the irony in and raised his finger. was quite funny at the time.

Now I can read it ;)
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Jabber » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:31 am

smithy wrote:
Jabber wrote:

That's pretty much how I remember it Jabber.
Batsman stuck around because of being given not out but thought since the middle stump has nearly harpooned into the keepers chest, he'll consider himself "bowled".
You are right also in saying that ICC were crap that year, although in the game in question, spadeboy McKay did bowl a very sharp opening spell to Mitsi.
I was very happy to knock the froth off a few later in those good clubrooms you have.

Yes i remember Mitsi jumping around the crease a bit, always looks uncomfortable playing a short ball but always manages to keep them out. btw in a short 'where are they now' mitsi is skip of our c grade in section five and last saturday in that 39deg heat opened the batting and carried his bat to end up with 130odd not out against the top side. Reports that he was out on the piss till 1130 have gained momentum, but are still unconfirmed...

They are good clubrooms ey, better than our t20 game we've got to play this sunday against belair, have to pay to get into the national park and have the luxuriousness of a couple of gum trees and not even a coke machine!

ICCs set up now isnt that bad but they just need to drag it closer to the oval.
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Postby Jabber » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:33 am

thats 1130 am, not pm btw
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Postby Amateur Footy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:05 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:

Should I have been out?

It's hit the ground already, it can't be out.

Correct. Unfortunately I couldn't quote the rule at the time, but I'll remmeber next time it happens ;)
Amateur Footy
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps