VALE - Doug Thomas

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: VALE - Doug Thomas

Postby Thiele » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:04 pm

Doug Thomas. What wonderful servant of the West Adelaide football. He was a wonderful person he was. Pleasure to meet him. Thank you Doug for everything. Would of liked to have a drink for him at club tonight for him. Now joins the Westies faithful that can watch the mighty Bloods from Grandstand in the sky. RIP Doug
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:17 pm

Thiele wrote:Doug Thomas. What wonderful servant of the West Adelaide football. He was a wonderful person he was. Pleasure to meet him. Thank you Doug for everything. Would of liked to have a drink for him at club tonight for him. Now joins the Westies faithful that can watch the mighty Bloods from Grandstand in the sky. RIP Doug

Well said JT
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Thiele » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Thiele wrote:Doug Thomas. What wonderful servant of the West Adelaide football. He was a wonderful person he was. Pleasure to meet him. Thank you Doug for everything. Would of liked to have a drink for him at club tonight for him. Now joins the Westies faithful that can watch the mighty Bloods from Grandstand in the sky. RIP Doug

Well said JT
Thanks
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:24 pm

I remember going to a Port v Norwood trial game at Richmond with a Portie mate. We went into the club and we had our hats on and Douggie comes in and says 'hats off boys' and we didn't argue. It might have been a Port v Norwood game but it was his bloody club. Being from the Richmond area he was a man who had great respect in the local community.

Vale Mr West Adelaide.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby goddy11 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:36 pm

I have always had the greatest respect for Doug. He not only fought for the WAFC but the SANFL. I recall him trying to stop the AFL rookie system coming in as it stole players from SANFL clubs for no compensation. I feel these are the people that should be acknowledge more by the SANFL.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby tigerpie » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:52 pm

Spargo wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Spargo wrote:The last of the “old guard”. A great Westies man, a great SANFL man.
RIP

An excellent way of describing that 'earlier' generation of footy administrators.

I know there were more but Harry Kernahan, Bob McLean & Doug Thomas always stood out as larger than life figures when I was growing up in a similar era to many on here.

Throw in Wally Miller as well.
All these blokes could've walked into any vfl club or indeed any organization and made it successful.
They presided over arguably the best and most successful sanfl era.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby mal » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:15 pm

Doug was a regular at Globe Derby up until about a decade ago
We would often greet each other and often comment about what Westies had done on the weekend
About 2 years of this and he commented about how we beat Norwood on one occasion
I then told him I barracked for Norwood not West !
He had thought all this time I was a Westies barracker !

R.I.P to the great great man
Yes I agree with a previous post
Vale Mr West Adelaide
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:06 pm

Always enjoyed reading Doug's columns each week in the Sunday Mail back in the 70's. Very insightful and ahead of his time in thinking>
Was on a hiding to nothing as West Adelaide coach after Westies dumped Neil Kerley.
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum