PAFC 150th Anniversary

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: PAFC 150th Anniversary

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:54 am

robranisgod wrote:
Booney wrote:
There was not one eye on the game at that point, around 15,000 from memory looking at the heaving crowd in front of the stand.

:D

The official crowd was 7,605 so either your memory is playing tricks or Port were manipulating the crowd numbers. My mob certainly were notorious for that in the 1980s.

As I said, around "15,000 from memory" and it was 30 years ago!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:09 am

If the season doesn’t play out as expected do Port have their 150th anniversary next year?
It’ll be 151 obviously but given the amount of work and marketing gone in do they celebrate it next year to make amends for their ‘lost’ profits from this year?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:10 am

Booney wrote:
robranisgod wrote:
Booney wrote:
There was not one eye on the game at that point, around 15,000 from memory looking at the heaving crowd in front of the stand.

:D

The official crowd was 7,605 so either your memory is playing tricks or Port were manipulating the crowd numbers. My mob certainly were notorious for that in the 1980s.

As I said, around "15,000 from memory" and it was 30 years ago!

I was there that day as well and it’s one of the biggest crowds I’ve seen there.
I would have said 10,000.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:12 am

I recall a game with 18,000 there, I think vs Norwood.

I wasn't there in '77 for the 22,000 vs Norwood.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:13 am

amber_fluid wrote:If the season doesn’t play out as expected do Port have their 150th anniversary next year?
It’ll be 151 obviously but given the amount of work and marketing gone in do they celebrate it next year to make amends for their ‘lost’ profits from this year?

Not sure mate, I'd say they'd try and get some events in at the back end of this year to at least try and make something of 2020, but who knows if anyone will have the money to put into it from a member/supporter point of view and who would do the work at the club to arrange it? Nobody there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Bluedemon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:22 am

Booney wrote:Any of you watch the "Onward to Victory" doco on Sunday?

Yes I did, I really enjoyed it, I like watching those docos on the history of football clubs.

Brought up some memories, especially the day KG got heckled at Alberton oval after the news broke of Port wanting to enter the AFL
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 96 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:53 am

Anybody watched Tim Ginever’s time machine stories?
First one with Mark Tyler.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:14 am

amber_fluid wrote:Anybody watched Tim Ginever’s time machine stories?
First one with Mark Tyler.

Haven't yet, saving anything worth watching for those cold miserable days ahead when I'll be needing something to watch.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Psyber » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:58 pm

am Bays wrote:@Psyber you were there, recollections on the game from a Norwood fan’s perspective?? :D ;)

Good one mate!

Actually, I attended SANFL matches fairly regularly from about mid-1956 (when I was aged 12 and my older sister started taking me with her) until 1967. Then I graduated in Medicine and was soon too busy to go with any consistency...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby mal » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:29 am

Naming a best PA team of the last 50 years is quite a task
So many great players to pick from
Heres a PA team Ive come up with , please bear in mind I have left out some very talented players

Cunningham- Evans-Hodges
J Cahill- Tredrea- M Williams
Anderson-Ebert-Bradley
Abernethy-Phillips- Leslie
Wanganeen-Elleway- Woite

Ist ruck
Johnston
Buckley
Potter

Interchange
Hynes
Clifford
D Cahill

I have included Ron Elleway and Jeff Potter who played mainly in the 1960s , but did play in the early 70s

My trifecta of the best PA players Ive seen are :
1st Russell Ebert
2nd Johnny Cahill
3rd Nathan Buckley

Love em or hate em Port Adelaide is a club Ive admired respected and at times envied
They deserve the title that has been bandied about, that being the most successful football team in Australia
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 891 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:07 pm

mal wrote:Naming a best PA team of the last 50 years is quite a task
Heres a PA team Ive come up with , please bear in mind I have left out some very talented players

Cunningham- Evans-Hodges
Anderson-Ebert-Bradley
Wanganeen-Elleway- Woite

Ist ruck
Johnston
Buckley
Potter

Interchange
Hynes
Clifford
D Cahill

I have included Ron Elleway and Jeff Potter who played mainly in the 1960s , but did play in the early 70s

1st Russell Ebert
2nd Johnny Cahill
3rd Nathan Buckley

Love em or hate em Port Adelaide is a club Ive admired respected and at times envied
They deserve the title that has been bandied about, that being the most successful football team in Australia

I never saw Cahill play but was he that good?
Ahead of Buckley and many other great players?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:27 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
mal wrote:Naming a best PA team of the last 50 years is quite a task

Cunningham- Evans-Hodges
Anderson-Ebert-Bradley
Wanganeen-Elleway- Woite

Ist ruck
Johnston
Buckley
Potter

Interchange
Hynes
Clifford
D Cahill

1st Russell Ebert
2nd Johnny Cahill
3rd Nathan Buckley

I never saw Cahill play but was he that good?
Ahead of Buckley and many other great players?

Cahill is the best player never to win a Magarey Medal. I would have him in the best 4 players from Port Adelaide that I have seen. Wanganeen must be in the top 4.

Interestingly Cahill himself says that Wanganeen is the best player he coached, better than Ebert.

I think that Delaney is the best full back that I have seen at Port Adelaide. Elleway was a very dour player and played some great games in big matches but he also had troubles with quick leading forward like M.E. Jones who kicked 8 goals in the 1966 Grand Final.

I would also have found a position in the 21 for T. Obst. He did win a Magarey Medal.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby mal » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:35 pm

Amber Fluid , good question
In retrospect, if i consider the exploits of Buckley and Wanganeen in the AFL , they might be better choices for 2nd/3rd

In describing the playing style of Johhny Cahill
To compare him with other skillfull left footed players, i consider Damien Squire and Chad Wingard as being similar in style

RIG
Yes Trevor Bubbles Cabbie Obst is worthy of a spot in the back pocket
If I played Gavin Wanganeen elsewhere, Bubbles plays back pocket in my team
Last edited by mal on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 891 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:36 pm

Yeah right.
Cheers for that.

Craig Bradley was my favourite player so I’d have him in there somewhere.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:45 pm

My Mum always says Ebert got the accolades Cahill should have, says Cahill's skills were ahead of his time.

For mine, the season Buckley played in '92 stands above almost any individual season I've seen. Hodges 1990 goal kicking record was the result of an amazing team allowing him the opportunity to convert, but I think Buckley's year in 1992 was a step above, never seen anyone be the clear best player on the ground so often.

In my time, Buckely, Hodges, Wanganeen and Tredrea are the best players I've seen play for Port Adelaide. R.Gray right up their clacker.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:59 pm

Booney wrote:My Mum always says Ebert got the accolades Cahill should have, says Cahill's skills were ahead of his time.

For mine, the season Buckley played in '92 stands above almost any individual season I've seen. Hodges 1990 goal kicking record was the result of an amazing team allowing him the opportunity to convert, but I think Buckley's year in 1992 was a step above, never seen anyone be the clear best player on the ground so often.

In my time, Buckely, Hodges, Wanganeen and Tredrea are the best players I've seen play for Port Adelaide. R.Gray right up their clacker.

Greg Anderson in 86 had a good season but Buckley that year was incredible.
1990 is my favourite year though with Hodges breaking the goal kicking record.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:08 pm

mal wrote:In describing the playing style of Johhny Cahill
To compare him with other skillfull left footed players, i consider Damien Squire and Chad Wingard as being similar in style

All I can say is "Wash your mouth out with soap, Mal". To mention Squizzy Squire and Chad Wingard in the same breath as John Cahill is like mentioning Bryce McGain and Adam Zampa as bowling similarly to Shane Warne.
I would say if you combined the kicking of Damian Squire, the courage of Michael Wilson, the endurance of Craig Bradley and the explosiveness of Peter Matera, then you might get close to what John Cahill was like as a player.
I mentioned that he is universally considered the best player not to win a Magarey Medal, the main reason was that because of his absolute lack of fear, he missed too many games with injury.
When you consider that he was 180 cms tall and 75 kilograms he wasn't very robustly built.
He was a Champion.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby am Bays » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:20 pm

robranisgod wrote:I mentioned that he is universally considered the best player not to win a Magarey Medal, the main reason was that because of his absolute lack of fear, he missed too many games with injury.
When you consider that he was 180 cms tall and 75 kilograms he wasn't very robustly built.
He was a Champion.

Champion yep, Bagshaw? Davies? Never won Magareys.

As I said in the other thread name me a big man with the decision making ability and ability to hit blokes L&R foot over 40 m like Peter Carey.

His hands were already exceptional bit his foot skills "are stiffy material" as one coach I know would say.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby robranisgod » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:32 pm

am Bays wrote:
robranisgod wrote:I mentioned that he is universally considered the best player not to win a Magarey Medal, the main reason was that because of his absolute lack of fear, he missed too many games with injury.
He was a Champion.

Champion yep, Bagshaw? Davies? Never won Magareys.

As I said in the other thread name me a big man with the decision making ability and ability to hit blokes L&R foot over 40 m like Peter Carey.

His hands were already exceptional bit his foot skills "are stiffy material" as one coach I know would say.

Given your previous posts I doubt that you saw much of Cahill.

They of course were all different players but most people I know over 65 would rate him as overall a better player than either Davies or Bagshaw, but not much in front of Davies. Bagshaw could never have won a medal, I have mentioned before that against the lowly sides he would lean against the behind post and let Murphy or Chessell do the majority of the ruck roving. I don't remember him ever being in Magarey Medal contention. Cahill on the other hand would be putting his head over an opponents boot with 1 minute to go and Port 10 goals in front.

In the 1960s it was often quoted in the media that in the history of the SANFL the two best players never to win a Magarey Medal were John Cahill and Don Lindner. Lindner did get his albeit retrospectively.

Davies would have won in 1974 if not for his incessant back chatting of the umpires
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Magellan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:25 pm

Interesting views, RiG - as a youngster in the 80s hearing about the great SANFL players, it seemed to me that Bagshaw was routinely considered the best player never to win a Magarey.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum