Commemorating 1915: 100 years since the Gallipoli campaign

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Commemorating 1915: 100 years since the Gallipoli campaign

Postby oldtimer2 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:38 pm

The 1915 South Australian Football League season was highly eventful and historically significant. It took place under the influence of the developments of World War I, which had a strong impact on every aspect of the game.

Overshadowing the events in Adelaide on the football field was the disastrous eight month campaign at Gallipoli, which began with a dawn landing on April 25. During the Gallipoli battles, nearly nine thousand men were killed and twenty thousand injured.

Enlistments by football players from all the clubs continued during the season and clubs continued with ongoing absences caused by players leaving for the game for military service.

My most recent research has resulted in a book 1915: South Australian Football and World War I and is available on the lulu website at http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... r/16486640. It provides the main events of the season, a description of every match, every club, every player and sets it against the events of the war that saw footballers killed, wounded and in the service of their country and empire.
Attachments
1915 cover with title.JPG
1915 cover with title.JPG (82.2 KiB) Viewed 405 times
oldtimer2
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum