Recently published books

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Recently published books

Postby kempey » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:18 pm

i had the great delight in attending a presentation on two recently published books:
• Speaker 1: John Althorp, The Larrikin: The Jim Deane Story
• ‘Jim Deane is the reason I follow South Adelaide. As a kid in the 1950s I would often spend Saturday afternoons at Adelaide Oval, and the high point of those days was the singular brilliance of Jim in a team which suffered an interminable number of losses. When I much later took on the role of historian at South Adelaide Football Club in the early 1990s and spent quite a bit of time yarning with Jim it soon became pretty apparent that his was a life that should be remembered.’

This gives more than just a stats / game by game account of Jummy's life, but a feel for Adelaide in the post Depression years. Adelaide was split down the middle with the West End (West Adelaide) and the Eastern half of Adelaide to South.
It also retells stories of the legendary Jack Broadstock ( a great story there!).

• Speaker 2: Michael Sexton, Dave McNamara’s Football ( same author as 1964)
• Michael has republished McNamara’s little-known classic from 100 years ago and written a superb introductory essay which sets McNamara within his historical context.

This covers issues such as betting on games (games being "thrown") in the 1912/13 season! What's changed in 100 odd years.
available at sportswords.com.au

to obtain details on how to purchase contact
bernardwhimpress@gmail.com
kempey
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Recently published books

Postby mal » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:05 am

Kempey
I never saw Jimmy Deane play footy
If he was as good a footballer as he was a commentator he would have been a superstar
Jim Deane is about the best commentator I've heard

Jim Deane was a left footer
How would he compare , ability wise to Johnny Cahill , who is one of the very best left footers I have seen in the SANFL ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby blueandwhite » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:00 pm

Had lunch one day with the great man a few years ago, before he passed away. Ive purchased and read the book in one night! a really great read, Im sure any SANFL fan would enjoy it. Jim Deane won 2 Magarey medals, and was runner up 3 times in his career. This was a time when South could barely win a game. Hi s first 100 games for South saw the team win only 7 times... He had some healthy opposition for the medal during his career from the likes of Head, Hank,Fitzgerald, and Quinn ;doing so well in the medal while playing for such a lowly side speaks volumes for the guys ability and brilliance. He spent 2 years at Richmond in the VFL and was named as an All Australian in one of those years.
He was a larrikin, but he was also a gentleman as well, and he loved to talk about footy. Certainly a legend at the SAFC and at the SANFL
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby kempey » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:14 pm

mal wrote:Kempey
I never saw Jimmy Deane play footy
If he was as good a footballer as he was a commentator he would have been a superstar
Jim Deane is about the best commentator I've heard

Jim Deane was a left footer
How would he compare , ability wise to Johnny Cahill , who is one of the very best left footers I have seen in the SANFL ?

Likewise
I did not see Jimmy play - but I did have the great pleasure in listening to Jimmy one on one over a few quiet ales after games when he was working at the ABC. I know many of the stories he told me are in the book.
I guess John Cahill is the closest of the players I have seen.
I guess we'd call him and in and under type....but really great in the mud of Adelaide Oval.... the Vics loved him because in the modern terms "he won his own ball."
I am looking forward to the Jack Broadstock book....
Ordered off race courses.... not allowed the city mile!.... played for Stansbury on the Yorke Peninsula as well as a short stint at Richmond.... before the Police arrested him AFTER THE GRAND FINAL....
The stories are the stuff of legend.
kempey
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum