Good old years - the best, the worst and the characters

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Good old years - the best, the worst and the characters

by dedja » Mon May 11, 2009 10:51 am

I went to my first SANFL game in 1973, which apart from making me an old bastard, started me thinking about some of the characters of the game over all those years.

Here's some (incomplete & maybe controversial) thoughts, in no particular order or preference.

Champions
Peter Motley, Barrie Robran, Russell Ebert, Stephen Kernahan, Malcolm Blight, Darren Jarman, Paul Bagshaw, Peter Carey, Rick Davies

Gifted, but not champions
Tony Hall, Bruce Light, Peter Meuret, Wilbur Wilson

Most Courageous
Garry McIntosh, Chris McDermott, Greg Turbill, Danny Jenkins, Peter Cloke, Ian Borchard, Kym Klomp

Courageous Challenged
Ron Hateley, Roger Woodcock, Darren Smith, Adrian Rebbeck [courtesy nickname]

IQ Challenged
Ugo Colasante (no explanation necessary), John Hall (80/500 for Matric)

Best Nickname
'Spoof' Faletic (the mind boggles) and later 'Pathetic', 'Buff' Tyrell, 'Doreen' Smith, Michael 'Flash' Graham, Barry 'Lurch' Goodingham, Anthony 'Angry Ant' Antrobus, Wayne 'Moose' Henwood

Characters
Grenville Dietrich, David Granger, Ralph Sewer, Daryl Rady, Robbie Muir, Phil Carmen, Andrew Newton Jarman [courtesy Constance_Perm], Ray Hayes [courtesy nickname], 'Bomber' Clifford [courtesy Magiespower], John Wynne [courtesy FattyLumpkin]

Longest Kick
Noel Pettingill, Malcolm Blight, Paul Weston, Brett Chalmers

Rumour/Story
Is that my wife? - Craig Balme [corrected by Constance_Perm], Andrew Aish
Billy the Kid - Scott Hodges, Mark Tylor
Pam Cornes (this one never ends) - Graham Cornes, Tony McGuinness, Fred Phillis, Craig Marriott [courtesy The Yetti] (could there be more?)

Worst Coach
Graham Campbell - scratched due to popular demand, Don Scott, Russell Ebert, Rick Davies, Kevin Higgins [courtesy therisingblues]

Best Commentator
Wally May - 'the bays are gone' ... Jeez, I hated that

What do you think?
Last edited by dedja on Tue May 19, 2009 1:29 am, edited 14 times in total.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Re: Good old years - the best, the worst and the characters

by Dogwatcher » Mon May 11, 2009 11:28 am

:shock: :lol:

A great list! Will certainly cause some debate.

There's at least one Woodcock supporter here.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

by JK » Mon May 11, 2009 11:48 am

I'll try and add to the list more when I get a bit more time, but on the rumours front I reckon you might have the wrong Balme listed (lol unless the one Im thinking of is a different saga, which is possible) and Andrew Jarman would have to fit the "characters" bill I reckon.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

by Pseudo » Mon May 11, 2009 11:54 am

dedja wrote:Worst Coach
Graham Campbell, Don Scott

:shock:

Sir, you have N. F. I.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

by dedja » Mon May 11, 2009 12:08 pm

Pseudo wrote:
dedja wrote:Worst Coach

:shock:

Sir, you have N. F. I.

LOL, you may just well be correct!

I still must be haunted by being beaten by Woodville at the Bay in 1983 to be 0-8 (from memory, could have been 0-7) after being in the grand final the 2 years before, in the days when Woodville didn't win anything.

Even beating Port at Alberton the week after didn't make up for it.
dedja
Coach

by dedja » Mon May 11, 2009 12:10 pm

Constance_Perm wrote:I'll try and add to the list more when I get a bit more time, but on the rumours front I reckon you might have the wrong Balme listed (lol unless the one Im thinking of is a different saga, which is possible) and Andrew Jarman would have to fit the "characters" bill I reckon.

Oops, yep I think you're right, it was Craig!

... and Jars would qualify.
dedja
Coach

by nickname » Mon May 11, 2009 12:12 pm

I would suggest Adrian Rebbeck for the Courageous Challenged category and Ray Hayes for the Characters category.
nickname
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

by The Yetti » Mon May 11, 2009 12:16 pm

dedja wrote:I went to my first SANFL game in 1973, which apart from making me an old bastard, started me thinking about some of the characters of the game over all those years.

He's some (incomplete & maybe controversial) thoughts, in no particular order or preference.

Champions
Peter Motley, Barrie Robran, Russell Ebert, Stephen Kernahan, Malcolm Blight, Darren Jarman, Paul Bagshaw

Gifted, but not champions
Tony Hall, Bruce Light, Peter Meuret, Wilbur Wilson

Most Courageous
Garry McIntosh, Chris McDermott, Greg Turbill, Danny Jenkins

Courageous Challenged
Ron Hateley, Roger Woodcock, Darren Smith

IQ Challenged
Ugo Colasante (no explanation necessary), John Hall (80/500 for Matric)

Best Nickname
'Spoof' Faletic (the mind boggles) and later 'Pathetic', 'Buff' Tyrell, 'Doreen' Smith

Characters
Grenville Dietrich, David Granger, Ralph Sewer, Daryl Rady, Robbie Muir, Phil Carmen

Longest Kick
Noel Pettingill, Malcolm Blight, Paul Weston, Brett Chalmers

Rumour/Story
Is that my wife? - Neil Balme, Andrew Aish
Billy the Kid - Scott Hodges, Mark Tylor
Pam Cornes (this one never ends) - Graham Cornes, Tony McGuinness, Fred Phillis (have I missed anyone?)

Worst Coach

What do you think?

Fantastic Post Dedja.
Missed anyone....Craig Marriott is on the list that never ends
SO MANY IDIOTS
SO FEW BULLETS
The Yetti
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: McLaren

by GWW » Mon May 11, 2009 1:55 pm

I always thought Tony Hall was under-rated, i'd nearly have him in the champion category.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

by am Bays » Mon May 11, 2009 2:08 pm

Good thread Dedja

I wouldn't call Darren Smith "courageously challenged", whilst he was no superstar or was he in the up their in the couragous stakes he was very underrated IMO.

Provided a lead up target and foil for Hodges in those *ugh* great Port teams of the late 80s early 90s. Gee it hurts saying that..

*Memories come flooding back, must lie down, think 85-86, think 85-86....*

Greame Campbell's contribution to teh 85-86 wins is under-rated IMO gave us a lot of mongrel which we used to effect in our 85-86 wins., No coincidence that it was he who gave Scooter Salisbury a chance after Halbert knock him back twice and he recruited the Stringers.

Two games I desperrately want to get a copy of 82 Prelim and the 1983 or 84 game v Port at the Bay when it was carnage and Campbell gave the memorable half time speech that finished with, "Now go out there and do to them what they have done to you for the last 50 years..."
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1826 times

by dedja » Mon May 11, 2009 2:51 pm

am Bays wrote:Good thread Dedja

I wouldn't call Darren Smith "courageously challenged", whilst he was no superstar or was he in the up their in the couragous stakes he was very underrated IMO.

Provided a lead up target and foil for Hodges in those *ugh* great Port teams of the late 80s early 90s. Gee it hurts saying that..

*Memories come flooding back, must lie down, think 85-86, think 85-86....*

Greame Campbell's contribution to teh 85-86 wins is under-rated IMO gave us a lot of mongrel which we used to effect in our 85-86 wins., No coincidence that it was he who gave Scooter Salisbury a chance after Halbert knock him back twice and he recruited the Stringers.

Two games I desperrately want to get a copy of 82 Prelim and the 1983 or 84 game v Port at the Bay when it was carnage and Campbell gave the memorable half time speech that finished with, "Now go out there and do to them what they have done to you for the last 50 years..."

There was always a lot of discussion about Darren Smith at the time ... I threw that one in because the 'Doreen' nickname seemed to stick, and I'd agree that is was at times an unfair tag.

Graham Campbell is an interesting one ... I could have named a Glenelg coach or 2 in the past 15 years instead but we didn't have anywhere near the talent that was around in the 80's. I just thought it was such a waste of 2 years when at the end of '84 we seemed no better than at the end of '82. I do take your points about recruitment though and Scooter plus the Stringers were so important for '85 & '86 ... and you're the 2nd one to query me on it, so I must be wrong!

I was at both games you mention ... in particular the '82 Prelim was an amazing game. 7 goals up at half time, then enter Grave Danger. In the end, Port were a tad unluckly to lose, but unfortunately the Bays thought that was the GF and the Legs made a mess of us the week after.
dedja
Coach

by dedja » Mon May 11, 2009 4:08 pm

GWW wrote:I always thought Tony Hall was under-rated, i'd nearly have him in the champion category.

Tony Hall was a great player, one of my all time favourites, but IMHO didn't quite have the consistency over his career to be classed as a champion.
dedja
Coach

by Harry the Horse » Mon May 11, 2009 5:03 pm

Was there in 83 when we lost to Woodville as well to go 0-7. South made it 0-8 the following week.

But still don't believe Graham Campbell was a bad coach and certainly doesn't deserve to be one of two in your list ... actually think he sowed the seeds for what followed in 85, 86.

If you're looking for worst coaches, there are some great players who must be in contention ... Russell Ebert and Rick Davies both failed dismally at two different clubs. Hard to go past Don Scott though who probably qualifies under the rumour/story section as well.
Harry the Horse
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

by dedja » Mon May 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Harry the Horse wrote:Was there in 83 when we lost to Woodville as well to go 0-7. South made it 0-8 the following week.

But still don't believe Graham Campbell was a bad coach and certainly doesn't deserve to be one of two in your list ... actually think he sowed the seeds for what followed in 85, 86.

If you're looking for worst coaches, there are some great players who must be in contention ... Russell Ebert and Rick Davies both failed dismally at two different clubs. Hard to go past Don Scott though who probably qualifies under the rumour/story section as well.

OK, I concede on Campbell.

Agree with Herb and Jumbo, should have had them in the original list.
dedja
Coach

by am Bays » Mon May 11, 2009 9:38 pm

I'm not sold on Ebert being in teh worst coach category either but being away from Adelaide at the time I can't really comment with much authority. However three finals series in five years whilst Port renewed itself between era's....

for poor coaches surely you have to consider Olssen, Bennett, Weston and Higgins
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1826 times

by dedja » Mon May 11, 2009 9:50 pm

am Bays wrote:I'm not sold on Ebert being in teh worst coach category either but being away from Adelaide at the time I can't really comment with much authority. However three finals series in five years whilst Port renewed itself between era's....

for poor coaches surely you have to consider Olssen, Bennett, Weston and Higgins

I remember being told by a Port player at the time that Ebert's biggest failing was that he expected the same standard from all his players that he demanded of himself when he played. Consequently, the players were scared to confide in him because they were worried about being dropped. In some way his record is unfair (at Port) because he was always going to be compared to the great Jack Cahill, especially when Port won 3 flags in a row after he left.
dedja
Coach

by GWW » Mon May 11, 2009 9:54 pm

Yeah i've heard something similar re Russell Ebert from a player who joined the club in the mid 80's.

In the eyes of Port supporters, his playing ability and career more than made up for any coaching inadequacies ^:)^ ^:)^
GWW

by dedja » Mon May 11, 2009 10:15 pm

GWW wrote:Yeah i've heard something similar re Russell Ebert from a player who joined the club in the mid 80's.

In the eyes of Port supporters, his playing ability and career more than made up for any coaching inadequacies ^:)^ ^:)^

Maybe it's the same player! Hint, his dad had a kids science show back then.

Do you remember the Magarey Medal presentation in '87, just after Port lost to the Bays when they hit the post 6 times ... I can't remember who was the compare but he tried to liven things up by claiming there was a new cocktail called the goalpost ... 6 of those and your out of it. The camera then panned to Ebert and I can tell you he wasn't laughing.

I thought he was quite bitter about how he finished his coaching stint with Port (evidenced by the fact he then went to Woodville), but it was good to see that he and the club kissed and made up.

He was an absolutely unbelievable player so I can understand why his coaching record is forgiven down there.
dedja
Coach

by GWW » Mon May 11, 2009 10:17 pm

I'm "curious" about your post ;) but no its not the one you're suggesting.
GWW

by dedja » Mon May 11, 2009 10:23 pm

GWW wrote:I'm "curious" about your post ;) but no its not the one you're suggesting.

please explain ...
dedja
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum