Each Clubs' Guernseys throughout the years

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Postby Leaping Lindner » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:30 am

Pseudo wrote:
Ian wrote:North's guernsey's from 1893 to this years "Darwin guernsey".

Some of those jumpers look identical to me Ian, at least at that small size. Case in point, the three candy stripe jumpers. Is there some salient difference between these that escapes my eye?

It's shows the candy stripe from 1983-5, then the 86 jumper with the State 150 Logo on it and then the third is back to the original and covers 1987-1996. It's being pedantic I know but that's the way we did it.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:33 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:I've always preferred the North jumper that was red with a white yoke, the one they wore through 50s and 60s. I also like the look of the South Melbourne style jumper that they wore for a brief period in the 1930s. I have never understood the Big V in the middle of the jumper. Perhaps a North fan could explain that one for me. I know it was introduced when Mike Patterson came over in the early 1970s, but The Bigf V always stood for Victoria to me.

I have an article from when they changed to the Victorian style jumper. I'll post it later on today.
For what it's worth I lean towards the lace up from 1967-69 as my favourite guernsey. This might be as it was when I first started following North and use to watch them on the TV as a youngster.
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Postby Pseudo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:37 am

Wedgie wrote: for some reason the Vee gets lower and lower every year or two.

Is this due to any subtle change in the guernsey, or due entirely to the players' diet? :lol:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:14 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:
Adelaide Hawk wrote:I've always preferred the North jumper that was red with a white yoke, the one they wore through 50s and 60s. I also like the look of the South Melbourne style jumper that they wore for a brief period in the 1930s. I have never understood the Big V in the middle of the jumper. Perhaps a North fan could explain that one for me. I know it was introduced when Mike Patterson came over in the early 1970s, but The Bigf V always stood for Victoria to me.

I have an article from when they changed to the Victorian style jumper. I'll post it later on today.
For what it's worth I lean towards the lace up from 1967-69 as my favourite guernsey. This might be as it was when I first started following North and use to watch them on the TV as a youngster.

I agree LL, that lace up was a ripper, and with the crest it looked very classy. I've sometimes wondered if maybe I just live in past as a lot of things I prefer were back in the 60s and 70s, but then I realise the reason I prefer them is because they were better. We seem to have to endure a lot of change for the sake of change these days rather than improvement.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Leaping Lindner » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:18 am

There was an article on the front page of the Advertiser on May 22nd (Friday) about North changing their guernsey from the lace up to the "Victorian" V. There is also a photo of Bob Hammond and Bob Shearman* (suits him as well!) modelling the new jumper.
The guts of the article is that Adelaide Car Dealer Rick Hosking donated the guernseys to the club (along with new red dressing gowns). It also says how he was ashamed at the recent state match seeing the Victorians looking resplendent in their navy blue and white dressing gowns whilst the best the South Australian team could manage was a couple of old grey blankets.
This doesn't really answer the question of whether the jumper change was Patterson's idea and Hosking financied it or what. I suspect that is the case.
The new guernsey made it debut against West at Richmond on May 23rd. Long sleeve versions weren't available for a while as I have a photo taken 5 weeks later of the team all in the new short sleeve jumpers and Neil Sachse is wearing a long sleeve version of the old one
*By the way Sturt fans Shearman wasn't planning to defect to North (unfortunately for us) he worked for Hosking and that was why he was in the photo.
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:52 am

I haven't looked at this thread for a while,I am on The Roost,or Sa Footy....? :wink: :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7497 times
Been liked: 10784 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:37 pm

Nah, this is SA Footy and how gay are Port for wearing Pink jumpers FFS. No wonder Collingwood won't budge LOL.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:33 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Nah, this is SA Footy and how gay are Port for wearing Pink jumpers FFS. No wonder Collingwood won't budge LOL.

regards,

REB

Magenta > Pink just like Teal > Blue....!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7497 times
Been liked: 10784 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:39 pm

Booney wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Nah, this is SA Footy and how gay are Port for wearing Pink jumpers FFS. No wonder Collingwood won't budge LOL.

regards,

REB

Magenta > Pink just like Teal > Blue....!

Port have worn both pink (rose pink) and magenta at various times.
No use in even talking about Teal as the Power use Turquoise.

1870-1877 blue and white
1878-1882 rose pink cap, guernsey and socks with white knickerbockers
1883-1901 magenta and blue cap, guernsey and hhooped socks with navey blue knickerbockers
1902-present black and white
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2051 times
Been liked: 3895 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby smac » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:43 pm

Funny how Kerls is responsible for changing the guernsey almost everywhere he went. It was the only thing he did of any use at Centrals.

The club guernsey has been a few variations of red and white hoops/V's on a blue guernsey, plus that horror worn in the 80's. Oh and there were red shorts in there too. Still got mine at home, I wear them lawnmowing sometimes to get mrs smac in the mood. My white guernsey still fits too!
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby am Bays » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:19 pm

Kerls didn't change Centrals guernsey, he changed the socks, Stewart changed the guernsey
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby smac » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:19 pm

From my understanding, Kerls started that one. Happy to be corrected by anyone, but I was playing at the club at the time.
smac
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:58 pm

Tassie's right.Definitely Stewart. One of the great mystreys of the SANFL is how Kerls changed the jumper everywhere he went (including that horror the state wore in 1980s) but left the Centrals one (introduced by Hicks) alone. He did however as Tassie said change the socks.
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Postby smac » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:29 pm

Yep, just called a mate who I played footy with at the time, told me I was wrong too. Sorry Tas, thanks LL.
smac
Coach

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:04 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:Tassie's right.Definitely Stewart. One of the great mystreys of the SANFL is how Kerls changed the jumper everywhere he went (including that horror the state wore in 1980s) but left the Centrals one (introduced by Hicks) alone. He did however as Tassie said change the socks.

The funny thing about Kerls changing the socks was when he was asked why. Kerls snarled, "White socks!!! Umpires wear white socks!!!" Only trouble with that was, umpires wore black socks at the time. :)
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Re: Eagles

Postby spell_check » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:15 am

Pseudo wrote:
spell_check wrote:1993-97

This guernsey was blue, except for a hoop around the midriff (I think, that's the correct term), which had a green hoop with one small gold hoop above and below that.

Spelly, didn't the Eagles wear a modified guernsey in some games against Central? I vaguely remember reading at the time that Central complained of a jumper clash, and the Eagles reacted by adding another hoop of gold at the bottom and changing the colour of the numbers.

Found this pic in the 1994 GF Budget of Andrew Payze showing the extra gold hoop:

Last edited by spell_check on Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby spell_check » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:17 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:Tassie's right.Definitely Stewart. One of the great mystreys of the SANFL is how Kerls changed the jumper everywhere he went (including that horror the state wore in 1980s) but left the Centrals one (introduced by Hicks) alone. He did however as Tassie said change the socks.

What this thread needs is a picture of that 1979-91 guernsey:

From the cover of the 1984 1st Semi Budget
spell_check
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:44 pm

WILBUR!!!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Punk Rooster » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:03 pm

Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby spell_check » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:17 pm

8)

I was trying to find one of the West striped guernsey, reakon you could make one up of that?
spell_check
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum