Greg Schlein

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Greg Schlein

Postby Rushby Hinds » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:11 am

from an interstate mate

I played a year in the Sydney Football League. Our ruckman's name was Greg Schlein. It was said he had played in the SANFL. Given your knowledge of the SANFL, do you recall a player of this name ? He may have played for North Adelaide and would have played in the 70's, possibly early 80's.

help!
Rushby Hinds
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Greg Schlein

Postby Leaping Lindner » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:30 am

Borat wrote:from an interstate mate

I played a year in the Sydney Football League. Our ruckman's name was Greg Schlein. It was said he had played in the SANFL. Given your knowledge of the SANFL, do you recall a player of this name ? He may have played for North Adelaide and would have played in the 70's, possibly early 80's.

help!

He played at Norwood from 1970 - 74 ( 78 Games / 21 Goals)
Then at North 1975-76; 1979-81 (71 Games / 30 Goals)
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Rushby Hinds » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:28 am

Cheers mate, i NEW you'd answer this one!
Rushby Hinds
League - Best 21

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:43 pm

Ah yes, Greg Schlein. Straight out of school and played his 1st league game for Norwood v Port Adelaide at Alberton Oval in the last minor round 1970. This guy looked at though he had everything. Built like an Adonis, 6'5" tall, blonde hair, great aerial skills, true kick, excellent pace and recovery skills .... on his day he looked every bit a potential champion.

Unfortunatley he had too many ordinary days and I consider he lacked genuine ticker for the game and seemed more interested in his sun tan than getting his hands dirty. This is from a Norwood point of view, maybe North fans could paint a different picture. It was generally thought he was a Robert Oatey favourite at Norwood and lost favour once Bob Hammond came to Norwood and shook the place up a bit.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum