The Older I get the BETTER I WAS!!!!
Spiritof64
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Whyalla

Re: NORTH ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB the CENTENARY HISTORY - on

Postby Ian » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:07 pm

I saw that on there. I used to know the authors daughters, the whole family was mad keen Pork supporters :twisted:
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Ronnie » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:24 am

should be a great read, you only have to look at the number of Magarey Medallists from North to get an idea about the great history of the club. They have always been around the mark and challenging the big 3 of SA footy (Port,Norwood, Sturt)
I imagine the last few years have been as action packed as any given off field developments.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Ronnie » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:28 am

um, thinking about it, probably doesn't cover the last few years would it?
They would be worth an additional few chapters in themselves!
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:45 am

Ronnie wrote:um, thinking about it, probably doesn't cover the last few years would it?
They would be worth an additional few chapters in themselves!

It was done in 1993.
A great read, I've read heaps of SANFL books and enjoy them all even one's about Port Adelaide!
North have released many books in recent years thanks to the fine work of the Historical Committee at Prospect inlcuding books on the 52 Grand Final side, the 60 Grand Final side and the Team of the Century players.
The pick of the crop by far is the Farmer Files though based on scrapbooks (that have to be seen to be believed) kept by Ken himself. This is the most impressive sporting historical read I've ever read and really does take you back to the years when Ken was running around the park.
In fact I'm going to head of to the "Toss of the Coin" today and might pick up a few more books to read on the trip to and from Darwin!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Magpiespower » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:08 am

Ian wrote:
I saw that on there. I used to know the authors daughters, the whole family was mad keen Pork supporters :twisted:

John Wood.

PAFC life member and official club historian for a number of years - took over from Rucci, believe it or not.

Has written quite a few SANFL books, among them...

Gentleman Jack - The John Cahill Story
The Russell Ebert Story (magazine)
SA Greats: The History of the Magarey Medal
Bound for Glory: The Story of the Port Adelaide Football Club 1939-1990
Simply the Best: The Story of the Port Adelaide Football Club 1870-1901

Also edited the Magpie News for what seems like forever.

Unfortunately, he passed away before he could complete his PAFC trilogy.

But made a huge contribution to footy in this state.
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Leaping Lindner » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:30 am

Ronnie wrote:should be a great read, you only have to look at the number of Magarey Medallists from North to get an idea about the great history of the club. They have always been around the mark and challenging the big 3 of SA footy (Port,Norwood, Sturt)
I imagine the last few years have been as action packed as any given off field developments.

That's just it. It should be a great read but alas it is a good read (at best). It was written in a hurry and unfortunately it shows. The photos used were all the same old ones that had been used over and over, and the skimming over of important times in the club's history beggars belief. It scarcely has between 70 and 80 pages of text for 100 years of history.
I met and spoke with John Wood on a few occasions in the Mortlock Library (doing my own research)and a nicer bloke you couldn't meet, but with all due respect why in heaven's name would you get a die hard Port Adelaide supporter to write a history about North Adelaide??????
Still its the best book that covers all of North's history........for now :wink:
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:37 am

Magpiespower wrote:John Wood.

PAFC life member and official club historian for a number of years - took over from Rucci, believe it or not.

Has written quite a few SANFL books, among them...
[Port books listed]

He was also solicited to write "Pride of the Bay" and had a fair chunk of it written before he bought the farm. The job was finished by Peter Cornwall.

I reakon I met the guy once. Didn't he run a little sports memorabilia shop down Twin St. for a year or two?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby drebin » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:01 pm

I agree with you Nick (LL), I found the book to be okay but did miss alot by skimming too much plus I thought there should have been more photos included. Seeing as your on the NAFC "Hystrical" Commitee - I wonder how that book would have been written/produced now given the increased awareness and addressing of the history of the NAFC by the committee? e.g the Fabulous forwards exhibition, The Legends Room etc.
drebin

Postby Magpiespower » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:12 am

Pseudo wrote:
I reakon I met the guy once. Didn't he run a little sports memorabilia shop down Twin St. for a year or two?

Pretty sure he did.

Looked like Father Christmas.

Would agree that John's expertise was in research and history rather than writing.

I met and spoke with John Wood on a few occasions in the Mortlock Library (doing my own research)and a nicer bloke you couldn't meet, but with all due respect why in heaven's name would you get a die hard Port Adelaide supporter to write a history about North Adelaide??????

Think you'll find all the SANFL historians past and present - people like John Wood, Bernard Whimpress, Ern Kolosche, John Lysikatos, Robert Laidlaw, Chris Lane (or is it Harte?) - put club allegiances aside when it comes to recording the history of our great comp.

Definitely a love job.

John Wood also contributed to the Budget for years.
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:02 am

Magpiespower wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Pretty sure he did.

Looked like Father Christmas.

Would agree that John's expertise was in research and history rather than writing.

Think you'll find all the SANFL historians past and present - people like John Wood, Bernard Whimpress, Ern Kolosche, John Lysikatos, Robert Laidlaw, Chris Lane (or is it Harte?) - put club allegiances aside when it comes to recording the history of our great comp.

Definitely a love job.

John Wood also contributed to the Budget for years.

Don't get me wrong I don't think club allegiance is the problem it's probably more to do with passion. Someone who isn't a North supporter isn't going to write the book from the same perspective no matter how much they know about the history of SA football.For example if I'd written the book (as someone who is a history nut AND a North supporter) I would have included things that would have meant 9/10s of FA to anyone who wasn't a North supporter. I also would have given North's Championship victory over Carlton more than a couple of paragraphs and mentioned the fact they played the Tasmanian premiers as well as detailed scores from those games. To any North fan of my vintage the Carlton game is the most important game of football in the history of the world! To other SANFL fans it's probably nice that we won but that's it.
I also would have included photos that hadn't been used hundreds of times before.
This is not a go at John it's just about simple passion. For example if i'd written a book about Port it would probably be a similiar size.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum