Port: Will the last one out please turn off the light

Talk on the national game

Port: Will the last one out please turn off the light

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:28 pm

I was watching FOX the other day, Port v Carlton 2001. I couldn't help but notice just how many Port players were in that side that are no longer with the club...

Primus, James, Cockatoo Collins, Montgomery, Carr, Stevens, Paxman. Add to that Schofield, Pickett, Hardwick and you can see that the Power have lost a hell of a lot of talent in recent seasons. Have Port adequetly replaced these blokes? Hmm, unlikely I would suggest.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1820 times

Re: Port: Will the last one out please turn off the light

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:44 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:I was watching FOX the other day, Port v Carlton 2001. I couldn't help but notice just how many Port players were in that side that are no longer with the club...

Primus, James, Cockatoo Collins, Montgomery, Carr, Stevens, Paxman. Add to that Schofield, Pickett, Hardwick and you can see that the Power have lost a hell of a lot of talent in recent seasons. Have Port adequetly replaced these blokes? Hmm, unlikely I would suggest.

regards,

REB

Well,Primus,James,Cockatoo,Hardwick and Paxman have all retired.Carr,Stevens and Schofield looked for greener pastures once "the ultimate goal" was achieved.
Montgomery I feel was sent packing a little too soon,we could have kept him for one more season,it would have been his last in any case.
The only player lost due to something other than "natural atrittion" is Byron.

I for one would have kept him,I know he is a loose cannon,but he is also a matchwinner,these guys are hard to find.Plus,he hits harder than any one,fairly I might add,and I dont want to see him flatten one of our blokes(no doubt he will).

Looks to me as though we will make the eight,somewhere between 9th and 12th,the bottom 8 that is. :wink:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7520 times
Been liked: 10822 times

Postby Magpiespower » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:50 pm

Duly noted long before now, REB.

We effectively lost an entire midfield over two years - Primus, Francou, Carr, James, Stevens, Hardwick, Schofield.

No club could cover these losses overnight.

Must remember it took a few years for these players - except for Hardwick and perhaps Schofield who were ready made AFL players - to develop.

And it will take Salopek, Surjan, Ebert, Pettigrew, Pearce, Chaplin and co. a few more years just yet.

In the meantime, we've still got a good enough list to make the eight and hope and pray these guys develop before Tredders, Cornes and co. are too old for another genuine shot at the flag.
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby TigerBoss » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:10 pm

At the end of the day, it's Port...and nobody gives a shit about them. :x
Is 2009 the year of the Tiger?
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Lock

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:23 pm

TigerBoss wrote:At the end of the day, it's Port...and nobody gives a shit about them. :x

And you have the guts to go out with that avatar in public.Some times I wonder.......

Sticks is 5hit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:02 pm

Magpiespower wrote:Duly noted long before now, REB.

We effectively lost an entire midfield over two years - Primus, Francou, Carr, James, Stevens, Hardwick, Schofield.

No club could cover these losses overnight.

Must remember it took a few years for these players - except for Hardwick and perhaps Schofield who were ready made AFL players - to develop.

And it will take Salopek, Surjan, Ebert, Pettigrew, Pearce, Chaplin and co. a few more years just yet.

In the meantime, we've still got a good enough list to make the eight and hope and pray these guys develop before Tredders, Cornes and co. are too old for another genuine shot at the flag.

By the time Salopek and co come good Tredders will be balder than Jars and Cornesy will have finally grown out of crying at the umpires. I've spent years waiting for the Cats midfield to come good..it's a fairly bumpy ride I can tell you.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:53 pm

Booney wrote:
TigerBoss wrote:At the end of the day, it's Port...and nobody gives a shit about them. :x

And you have the guts to go out with that avatar in public.Some times I wonder.......

Sticks is 5hit.

Five foot Tasmanian in flared pants, down boy, with that comment you are reinforcing the typical Port supporter sterotype that you know nothing about football
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 1831 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:10 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:
Booney wrote:

Sticks is 5hit.

Five foot Tasmanian in flared pants, down boy, with that comment you are reinforcing the typical Port supporter sterotype that you know nothing about football

Sorry mate,you must have over looked my first post on this topic,realisitic assessment of where my club is at,and what happened the the players REB mentioned.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:20 am

Booney wrote:
1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:
Booney wrote:

Sticks is 5hit.

Sorry mate,you must have over looked my first post on this topic,realisitic assessment of where my club is at,and what happened the the players REB mentioned.

Noted, have to agree with your first comments. I was merely responding to your comment regarding Sticks.

However with Cornes, Cassisi, Francou (if he stays fit) and rotaing Pearce, one of the Buugoynes, and Ebert if he stands up there is a nucleus there for a half decent midfield. Obviously I hope it doesn't occur but for your sake mate....

Personally I didn't rate Schofield, I thought he was the epitome of a sheepdog....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 1831 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:46 am

Cassisi, Salopek, Pearce LMAO the A team of Francou, Cornes and Burgoynes is fine but there is no decent rotation. This is not a top eight midfield. Port will make the eight on the back of their home record and the ability of Tredrea and C Cornes to haul down marks. They could well miss but the AAMI Stadium factor is a big plus in thier favour. The big threats for Port and keeping thier spot in the eight are Bulldogs, Brisbane and Fremantle if they ever get their shit together (Kangas are gone I reckon).

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:08 am

Casissi is fine Rik-E,he has matured from a run with player to a midfielder in his own right.Salopek is one of those "potential" players,one who I feel will only promise and not deliver.Pearce is young a lithe,but looks to have some nouse about him from what I have seen.
I feel our weakness is going to be our lack of flexibility at the back half.
Wilson and Wakelin hold down two spots.Wanganeen can no longer be expected to go back and help out,we disposed of Montgomery,which I think will be costly.Chad Cornes will play up the ground more,as we saw at the end of last season,leaving the key post empty.Bishop struggled towards the end of last year,and IMO was lucky to survive the falling axe at Alberton.Chaplin looks to be a find,yet still has the ugly "potential" hanging over his head.Pettigrew may fill some holes back there but appears to be more suited to a forward role.We will lose S.Burgoyne from the middle and up forward by having to play him in the back 6.
Therefore at the other end we will desperately need Thurstans and Wanganeen to help Tredrea kick some winning scores.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:29 am

Casissi continues to be underrated by most outside of Alberton imo, has developed into a fine player
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby TigerBoss » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:07 am

Booney and Coorong have a secret love affair with my avatar...

If I changed it, they would argue that they caused the decision for me to do so...hence, I leave it up there.

The more you crap on about it Booney, the longer it stays...

I can't believe an avatar can have such an impact on you though...it's JUST a picture.
Is 2009 the year of the Tiger?
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Lock

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:10 am

TigerBoss wrote:Booney and Coorong have a secret love affair with my avatar...

If I changed it, they would argue that they caused the decision for me to do so...hence, I leave it up there.

The more you crap on about it Booney, the longer it stays...

I can't believe an avatar can have such an impact on you though...it's JUST a picture.

No TB,you get me wrong I luuuurv it,why not keep it forever,or you could change it to a pic of Scott Salisbury.I loved him too.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:58 am

Constance_Perm wrote:Casissi continues to be underrated by most outside of Alberton imo, has developed into a fine player

Perhaps Casissi is overrated by most inside of Alberton Connie. The last time we played Port he was simply not a factor.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:22 am

You could very well be right Rikkeboy, I guess just comes down to a matter of opinion and mine is that Cassisi is both a much improved and very decent run-with and ball-getting player, naturally if the majority of time you've seen him was against ur team and he didn't perform very well I'd understand why you don't rate him ... Hows that for a diplomatic answer! :wink:
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magpiespower » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:25 am

Reakon Cassisi is one of Jack Dyer's 'good ordinary players.'

Nobody's mentioned him yet but I reakon our biggest loss has been...

Alan Stewart.

Booney, go easy on the Tigger supporters, mate. Their bitterness and envy is understandable. :D
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:32 am

Yes MP,Alan Stewart is a huge loss,and time will be the judge here,we have a few of his players he "spotted",however the last draft and the next few will see how much we miss him.
One of our other mistakes has been to keep Mick Moylan,the bloke causes more waves than a King tide.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:21 pm

Booney wrote:Yes MP,Alan Stewart is a huge loss,and time will be the judge here,we have a few of his players he "spotted",however the last draft and the next few will see how much we miss him.
One of our other mistakes has been to keep Mick Moylan,the bloke causes more waves than a King tide.

..at least you've still got Fweddy and End of the Rhode. Sheer geniear5e Port!!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:28 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Booney wrote:Yes MP,Alan Stewart is a huge loss,and time will be the judge here,we have a few of his players he "spotted",however the last draft and the next few will see how much we miss him.

..at least you've still got Fweddy and End of the Rhode. Sheer geniear5e Port!!

regards,

REB

Itsth pronoucedth Tony McGuinesssth.Sheesh.

....and we are one of the proud 14 clubs to have never had Gary Ayres as our coach! :wink:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  AFL