Got a spare $780m?

Talk on the national game

Got a spare $780m?

Postby Magpiespower » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:01 am

Nine/Foxtel get the AFL rights promising 'enhanced' coverage into NSW and Queensland.

Haven't we heard that one before?

Looks like I'm finally going to have to get Foxtel to watch live Friday night footy...
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Wedgie » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:31 am

If I was religious I'd say God Bless C9 and Foxtel.

When C7 used to cover footy I was lucky to see my team once every 3 or 4 weeks and was lucky to see a live game once every 2 months.
Under C9/Foxtel I get to see my team live 95% of the time.

C7 was a joke to me.

Having said that I could understand if the AFL went with C7 if C7 offered Friday Night live games into NSW and Qld but suprisingly they've only offered delayed games.
Best result for everyone would be C9 to win again as they're proposing live games into the Northern states through Foxtel.

Thank you C9 and good luck.
Thanks for nothing C7.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MightyEagles » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:28 am

I don't know which c7 you were watching wedgie, must be a different one to me. I might put some money in. That way we have all games covered from Friday night to Sunday night.
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

Postby Wedgie » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:43 pm

MightyEagles wrote:I don't know which c7 you were watching wedgie, must be a different one to me. I might put some money in. That way we have all games covered from Friday night to Sunday night.

People have short memories, it was quite common to only have 4 games on a Channel 7 weekend with only 2 of those being live and perhaps one of them being highlights only.
I've even sent a letter detailing exactly how poorly their coverage of some clubs was so I have no idea which Channel 7 you were watching.
Add to the fact that their PayTV branch only reached the Eastern States at the time and it was nothing short of a disgrace.

It was something very noticable to people who stayed loyal to their club and didn't just jump on the bandwagon of new teams that formed after 1990 or started following the comp for the first time.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dog_ger » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:38 am

$780 million...! Have a think where that money comes from..? Are we are all pay'n too much for everything or is it a reasonable price to pay..?
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Postby Brad » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:02 pm

Wedgie wrote:
MightyEagles wrote:I don't know which c7 you were watching wedgie, must be a different one to me. I might put some money in. That way we have all games covered from Friday night to Sunday night.

People have short memories, it was quite common to only have 4 games on a Channel 7 weekend with only 2 of those being live and perhaps one of them being highlights only.
I've even sent a letter detailing exactly how poorly their coverage of some clubs was so I have no idea which Channel 7 you were watching.
Add to the fact that their PayTV branch only reached the Eastern States at the time and it was nothing short of a disgrace.

It was something very noticable to people who stayed loyal to their club and didn't just jump on the bandwagon of new teams that formed after 1990 or started following the comp for the first time.

Agreed wedgie, your hardly got any games lives, it really annoys me still Friday night footy isn't live!! They persist in showing lifestyle shows, just show the bloody footy and it will rate!! More people will watch if it doesn't finish so late.
Brad
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Crystal Brook

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:55 pm

Agree Brad but apparently the excuse is by starting the game delayed the rating period for that night is increased (drawn out) to 11.30. Why they didn't just say this in the first place (like keeping people in the dark) but I remember the Channel 9 exec who used the excuse that it was because Burke's Backyard was so popular so they couldn't do it yet they turned around and axed it a month later!!!
If it's any consolation it doesn't start in Perth til 8.30 either i.e. the game is already finished before the coverage even starts. Then we have to put up with Eddie (good mate of Brad Cooper) saying that "Friday night footy is the premier football timeslot", what a joke, we wouldn't have to put up with delayed telecasts in America.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby BEERGUTS05 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:04 pm

[quote="ORDoubleBlues"]Agree Brad but apparently the excuse is by starting the game delayed the rating period for that night is increased (drawn out) to 11.30. Why they didn't just say this in the first place (like keeping people in the dark) but I remember the Channel 9 exec who used the excuse that it was because Burke's Backyard was so popular so they couldn't do it yet they turned around and axed it a month later!!!
If it's any consolation it doesn't start in Perth til 8.30 either i.e. the game is already finished before the coverage even starts. Then we have to put up with Eddie (good mate of Brad Cooper) saying that "Friday night footy is the premier football timeslot", what a joke, we wouldn't have to put up with delayed telecasts in America.[/quote]

yeah but we would be watching a much different form of football :shock:

I can remember Ch7 having the rights - they have a friday night, saturday arvo, saturday night, and sunday arvo game. then highlights of the remaining 4 games - really you only saw the top 4 games of the round which in some cases was probably a good thing

saying that with them going into partnership with ten (who do football the best IMO) will mean that more games will be live (you would think) also Foxtel will buy the remaining games for Ch7/10 anyhow so fox football will stay
You Will Die , I alone am Best
BEERGUTS05
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby TigerBoss » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:03 pm

Hooray for Bruce McAvaney...Boo for my Fox subscription which means I'll now NEVER see Richmond games like I did on Fox. :cry:
Is 2009 the year of the Tiger?
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Grassroots Team: Lock

Postby Brad » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:41 pm

Definately Channel 7 and 10 have the rights :?

I am going to sign up with Austar but only for 12 months now! :wink:
Brad
League - Best 21

Postby brent » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:43 pm

TigerBoss wrote:Hooray for Bruce McAvaney...Boo for my Fox subscription which means I'll now NEVER see Richmond games like I did on Fox. :cry:

hooray for bruce indeed! the countries best AFL commentators in bruce mcavaney and dennis cometti will be reunited! (hopefully anyway)
brent
Under 16s

Postby brent » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:46 pm

and hooray for live footy on friday nights in queensland!!!

\:D/ :drinkers:
brent
Under 16s

Postby Brad » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:55 pm

Brad wrote:Definately Channel 7 and 10 have the rights :?

I am going to sign up with Austar but only for 12 months now! :wink:

I was wrong I think Fox may still get 3 games a weekend that can't be shown live on 7 and 10.
Brad
League - Best 21

Postby Punk Rooster » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:20 am

Talk about "come in spinner..." Andy Dimwitrou is laughing all the way to bank. He's royally screwing up a national icon, and the networks are slugging it out, for the rights to film the demise of top level football as we know it. Hint: does anyone really think that 7 & 10 care about developing the game in the northern states???? Not likely. If AFL into these regions is ratings poison, guess what? It will be competing for air time with info-mercials at 3 in the morning. I don't care who got the rights, I don't watch much tv, let alone AwFuL...
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:05 am

I too, say a big hooray for Bwuce, i reckon its pretty "speeeeecial"

Bring on the Grand Final Footy Marathon!!!!!
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1744 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:54 am

Punk Rooster wrote:Talk about "come in spinner..." Andy Dimwitrou is laughing all the way to bank. He's royally screwing up a national icon, and the networks are slugging it out, for the rights to film the demise of top level football as we know it. Hint: does anyone really think that 7 & 10 care about developing the game in the northern states???? Not likely. If AFL into these regions is ratings poison, guess what? It will be competing for air time with info-mercials at 3 in the morning. I don't care who got the rights, I don't watch much tv, let alone AwFuL...

Punkybrooster. You just contradicted yourself with this post. Is the AFL something you don't watch or is a national icon? Do you really think that Channell nine GAF about developing the game in the northern states either? Let's have a look at last seasons rather infuriating offerings for Qld viewers (can't vouch for NSW).

Friday night game starts at 11.30pm
Sunday afternoon matches not shown at all
Brownlow medal telecast not shown until after midnight

Now Channel nine had the coverage to all of these games/events and stuck by Thugby league. Channel ten showed live telecasts on Saturday night every week and showed the entire finals series live. Channel seven's track record wasn't much better than Nines but at least Channel ten look after northern viewers. I know which one I would prefer.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1820 times

Postby Punk Rooster » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:05 am

REB,
I'm not saying that 9 were better, I'm saying the stations concern themselves with profit first...
The game is in decline on a national level, imo, has been for a while, hence my lack of interest. Therefore, I can still recognise it for it's iconic status, yet have no interest in it at the same time. No contradiction. Contradiction is going for the Ctas & thinking about premierships :wink:
PS I've never lived outside the state, so have no real knowledge as to how northern states operate, but media reports indicate that afl coverage is 2nd fiddle to thugby.
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby drebin » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:09 am

Packer and PBL might yet have the final laugh. The C7/C10 consortium will have to sell onto Foxtel 3 games to survive - if Foxtel hold out and refuse to deal initially (despite Kerry Stokes threatening legal action) what the hell will 7 & 10 do then - televise every game, meet all the production costs plus having to go against the NRL in the Eastern States at an earlier time after promises to both the Swans and Lions which are verbal at this point. There is some talk that what they promised they cannot deliver at this time as they have not even entered into any talk with Foxtel.

There is talk that other Pay TV options are being considered like ESPN???. C7 is dead and could not be resurected on the back of just 3 live footy games so even that plays into Foxtel's hands as well because ESPN is broadcast through Fox so C7 and C10 will have to re-coup alot of money from ESPN as Fox will hold out to get a good price (at their discretion) to show the games so the new consortium will have to wear lesser sell on figures. ESPN is also very fragmented at times and I can't see them being interested in any games to be quite honest - especially live games - who will wear the production costs?, certainly not ESPN.

The whole C7/C10 deal is a mess and the losers will be those who have Foxtel like myself. Plus we will have to put up with retards like Tim Watson and Sandy Roberts commentating again. I wonder if Lou Richards, Bob Skilton and Peter Landy will come out of the attic and commentate again :wink:
Packer may yet still exercise his muscle from beyond the grave.
drebin

Postby ElizabethVCRThief » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:46 am

drebin wrote:... the losers will be those...like myself...

Well said.
ElizabethVCRThief
Rookie

Postby brent » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:55 am

i'll admit to knowing very little about the whole AFL/tv market but i would have thought that those 3 games per week would be a tidy little profit maker for whoever picks it up, be it foxtel, ESPN or even a resurrected C7. Yes the production costs would be significant but i can't imagine them operating at a loss.
brent
Under 16s

Next

Board index   Football  AFL