AFL Round 13

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 13

Postby locky801 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:11 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:Whether we like it or not, the tribunal will more than likely suspend McKay. Hunter Clarke's face is a mess, three fractures and neeve and teeth damage. He will probably miss the rest of the season and may suffer the effects for the rest of his life. Because of the severity of his injuries, they will feel the need to take action. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Either way, the game will survive. Teams may just have to live with players missing a few weeks when they crack in hard and someone accidentally gets hurt.

That is the thing though, the AFL does not want players to 'crack in hard"

that is why Mackay will be suspended even though they have to make up some bs to punish him.

Have a look at the score when it happened. Up until then the Crows were pathetic, but Mackay turned that game. The Crows coaching staff will never come out and admit it, but behind closed doors they would be praising him for what he did. I bet it gets him votes in their B&F.

Didnt you see the after match press conference with Nicks, he basically said that the incident started the momentum swing
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:31 pm

MacKay has always been maligned for being an outside player, good on him for his attack on the ball
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:35 pm

Brodlach wrote:MacKay has always been maligned for being an outside player, good on him for his attack on the ball

He’s been called soft by supporters in the past and when he does attack the ball and body he gets suspended.
It’s ridiculous.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:58 pm

Anyone remember the incident with Tex, i think it was last year, maybe Hurn was the opponent? It may have been a different situation, maybe a marking contest?
All the so called experts had a go at him for being soft and pulling out of a contest. Think it was discussed ad nauseum on here and in the media, i think Booney amongst others(probably myself included) took great pleasure in having a crack at him. Those same experts are now saying McKay shouldve pulled out. The guy cant win, either way they rip into him.
Its absolutely ridiculous to say he shouldve pulled up.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:05 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Anyone remember the incident with Tex, i think it was last year, maybe Hurn was the opponent? It may have been a different situation, maybe a marking contest?
All the so called experts had a go at him for being soft and pulling out of a contest. Think it was discussed ad nauseum on here and in the media, i think Booney amongst others(probably myself included) took great pleasure in having a crack at him. Those same experts are now saying McKay shouldve pulled out. The guy cant win, either way they rip into him.

Yep if you are pulling up it’s time to go play soccer!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby stan » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:36 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Anyone remember the incident with Tex, i think it was last year, maybe Hurn was the opponent? It may have been a different situation, maybe a marking contest?
100% spot on here. It was 2019 I think when Tex tried to be a bit cute and looked like he backed out of a contest, copped it hard for doing so.
Now we are saying players need to pull out of a contest.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:44 pm

Tex= trendsetter

Tex was reported a few weeks earlier than this and he didn’t want to get reported again. Wasn’t a good look. .
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:04 pm

AFL coaching books actually teach drills for juniors around turning the body into pressure when collecting a ground ball and not leaving yourself open like Hunter Clark did.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby mots02 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Are we at the point where we suspend someone if an injury occurs from any sort of contact?
McKay did nothing wrong, it was a footy collision.
Injuries happen, always have, always will!

If they consider you had an alternative / option, yes.

Hunter Clark had an alternative also, how far do you take it?

One of Clark's alternatives would have been to also brace for contact, instead of leading with his head.

In that case, they both would likely have bounced off each others shoulder, the ball would gave bounced free, Clark would have played on and we wouldn't be discussing this.

The AFL bang on about players having 'duty of care'... that has to be a 2 way street.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:17 am

mots02 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Are we at the point where we suspend someone if an injury occurs from any sort of contact?
McKay did nothing wrong, it was a footy collision.
Injuries happen, always have, always will!

If they consider you had an alternative / option, yes.

Hunter Clark had an alternative also, how far do you take it?

One of Clark's alternatives would have been to also brace for contact, instead of leading with his head.

In that case, they both would likely have bounced off each others shoulder, the ball would gave bounced free, Clark would have played on and we wouldn't be discussing this.

The AFL bang on about players having 'duty of care'... that has to be a 2 way street.

Players ARE leading with their heads and flopping heads on the ground to draw free kicks.
No different to selwood ducking for free kicks and getting constant head cuts.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby saintal » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:34 am

It's possibly slipped under the radar due to the McKay situation, but thought Worpel was stiff to get a week and was surprised the Hawks didn't challenge it.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:22 am

The de goey hit on Oliver is worse. He lined him up and luckily just clipped him.
McKay very unlucky to be sighted. Should get off no probs.
Unfortunately in an impact sport injuries are going to happen.
I would rather cop an injury like that where it is a pure accident, than cop a similar injury for something that is deliberate
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby JK » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:34 am

McKay should get off, but I'll be surprised if he does. It's pretty clear the AFL want him rubbed out and they usually get what they want.

Massive ruling this, how long until the action around knee's gets targeted and we say goodbye to the speccy and centre bounces become basketball like "Jump Ball" situations?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:06 am

JK wrote:McKay should get off, but I'll be surprised if he does. It's pretty clear the AFL want him rubbed out and they usually get what they want.

Massive ruling this, how long until the action around knee's gets targeted and we say goodbye to the speccy and centre bounces become basketball like "Jump Ball" situations?

Yeah we are one injury away where a ruckmen gets caught sitting under a bad bounce from the bounce being eliminated from the game.

I don't agree with Mackay being suspended but its clear as day as to where the AFL is heading, they haven't really made a secret about it yet the masses continue to show up each week, watch on tv etc. Whilst they are still getting the tv ratings they will vindicated in their decision making and approach.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:17 pm

To stick up for the AFL (which usually I don't do) we're all saying "this is where the AFL is heading" etc etc, but perhaps they don't particularly like or want it to be how the game looks or is played, but their hands are being forced, unlike some of the other silly rules they have brought in.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:39 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:To stick up for the AFL (which usually I don't do) we're all saying "this is where the AFL is heading" etc etc, but perhaps they don't particularly like or want it to be how the game looks or is played, but their hands are being forced, unlike some of the other silly rules they have brought in.

That argument would hold water if they were as hot on dirty hits behind the play or stamping out the kind of acts that Mumford got away with on the weekend - twice I might add. Until they separate intent and result they will continue to happen.

First thing judged in any incident should be was it an act you could expect on the footy field during a normal contest. If the answer is no then it should be instantly 2 weeks and go from there with severity of outcome. This BS of people getting off because the contact was insufficient when trying to elbow someone in the head is a joke.

Mackay is effectively being punished because he was better at protecting himself than Clark, if he ran in face first and they both got injured we wouldn't be having the discussion.

Also helps the AFL that Mackay isn't a big fish that they don't want to rub out for any period of time.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:06 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:To stick up for the AFL (which usually I don't do) we're all saying "this is where the AFL is heading" etc etc, but perhaps they don't particularly like or want it to be how the game looks or is played, but their hands are being forced, unlike some of the other silly rules they have brought in.

That argument would hold water if they were as hot on dirty hits behind the play or stamping out the kind of acts that Mumford got away with on the weekend - twice I might add. Until they separate intent and result they will continue to happen.

First thing judged in any incident should be was it an act you could expect on the footy field during a normal contest. If the answer is no then it should be instantly 2 weeks and go from there with severity of outcome. This BS of people getting off because the contact was insufficient when trying to elbow someone in the head is a joke.

Mackay is effectively being punished because he was better at protecting himself than Clark, if he ran in face first and they both got injured we wouldn't be having the discussion.

Also helps the AFL that Mackay isn't a big fish that they don't want to rub out for any period of time.

At 32, if he gets games, and the crows win a couple and he can't get back in its potentially career done.
So even though he's a small fish in the pond, his outcome could be retirement.
Career potentially over.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:36 pm

NOT GUILTY
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:38 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:NOT GUILTY
Praise be.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:39 pm

Booney will be devastated

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL