AFLW 2021

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW 2021

Postby MW » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:15 am

BZB27 wrote:Ive watched most games the last 2 weeks and what has impressed me is how good the first and second year players are. Jess Fitzgerald for the Bulldogs has really good footy smarts and very clean. The Saints have a couple of gun mids in Patrikios and Smith who run all day and dont even look like they break a sweat. Brisbane have 2 real good tall targets in Davidson and Wardlaw. Kangaroos look the best structured team so far, but the Crows on the weekend loomed the best with ball in hand and hitting targets.

They did jump the gun by going with 14 teams, 10 teams would of been good for another 5 years to really build the comp up but each year the next draft class lifts the standards.

Was always going to be the way.
First few years the teams were full of players from other codes who were just good athletes. Now they are full of players who have grown up from U12's playing.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:16 am

BZB27 wrote:Ive watched most games the last 2 weeks and what has impressed me is how good the first and second year players are. Jess Fitzgerald for the Bulldogs has really good footy smarts and very clean. The Saints have a couple of gun mids in Patrikios and Smith who run all day and dont even look like they break a sweat. Brisbane have 2 real good tall targets in Davidson and Wardlaw. Kangaroos look the best structured team so far, but the Crows on the weekend loomed the best with ball in hand and hitting targets.

They did jump the gun by going with 14 teams, 10 teams would of been good for another 5 years to really build the comp up but each year the next draft class lifts the standards.

My daughter was involved with the Crows Under 16 development squad a couple of years ago, they have certainly thrown everything into it, they're trainings were vigorous and well structured.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:43 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
MW wrote:Scoring and skill level is definitely up on years gone by.

The draw is bullshit though. Good teams vs. Scrubbers no wonder the scoring is up. Why is Geelong playing North instead of Richmond? Why is Adelaide playing West Coast instead of Brisbane? It didn't take a Scientitian to work out that North, Freo, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane are the gun sides and that Carlton, Collingwood, Saints, Dogs and GWS are ok with the rest being pretty ordinary. Last Sundays quadruple beat ups was just shocking. Only the wet saved the Wegirls in the derby.

regards,

REB

They've now released the rest of the draw.

Round 3

Melb vs St.K
GWS vs BL
GCS vs Carl
Freo vs NM
Rich vs Geel
Adel vs WB
WCE vs Coll

Round 4
Geel vs GWS
WB vs Rich
Freo vs WB
Coll vs Adel
St.K vs GC
Carl vs NM
BL vs Melb

Poor GWS. they now would've played the best 3 teams in the opening 3 rounds, at least they'll gain some momentum on the way home.

There's still probably 4 or 6 too many sides to have the absolute exposure that it does, I'd suggest that these bottom tier sides play in div 2 and earn their right for promotion once they become competitive on a regular basis over a couple of seasons.

There's no doubt AFLW is gaining legs and everyone wants to support their own club, but let it progress naturally.

It's interesting that Sydney don't have a side yet, I would've thought Port would have one given that there was already a women's side called Port Adelaide although it had no affiliation to PAFC and was very poorly ran, SMOSH could easily fill the void though with their coaching staff and get it up and running.

I think a divisional comp is a great idea. Bring in Port and Sydney and you've got two leagues of 8. If they go the full 18 make it 10 in first and 8 in second two up two down.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:23 am

Some good even games for this weekend going by that new fixture.

LM does your daughter still play?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:35 am

Dutchy wrote:Some good even games for this weekend going by that new fixture.

Yeah, done her knee a few games in during 2019, broke her collarbone mid-season last year, she scares me when I'm watching as she has no fear, she tried out for NAFC late last year but was still restricted with her collarbone still healing.

Hoping for a full season this year and hopefully get picked up next season.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:15 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yeah, done her knee a few games in during 2019, broke her collarbone mid-season last year, she scares me when I'm watching as she has no fear, she tried out for NAFC late last year but was still restricted with her collarbone still healing.

One thing the ladies do is crack in. They've got a lot to prove and hellbent on doing so. The blokes at this time of year are playing pretty much hands off not wanted to get beaten up before the season starts. For the women, their time is NOW.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:59 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

One thing the ladies do is crack in. They've got a lot to prove and hellbent on doing so. The blokes at this time of year are playing pretty much hands off not wanted to get beaten up before the season starts. For the women, their time is NOW.

regards,

REB

Yeah, they have a few bites of the ch......... um, they have a few goes at it.

The AFLW starts early in the year, the SANFLW then follows and then the local comps, ideally it would be better the other way around so you can have a pathway all in the one season but still the opportunities present themselves in the current format.

Take Katelyn Pope for example. has gone from playing cricket for the Strikers to taking up footy for Broadview in 2019, the NAFC in 2020 to the WCE this year.

Greg Smith's daughter "Shelby" will play AFLW in the next year or two but keep an eye on young NAFC player Hannah Ewings, she will be the next big thing in AFLW.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby BZB27 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:58 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

regards,

REB

Yeah, they have a few bites of the ch......... um, they have a few goes at it.

The AFLW starts early in the year, the SANFLW then follows and then the local comps, ideally it would be better the other way around so you can have a pathway all in the one season but still the opportunities present themselves in the current format.

Take Katelyn Pope for example. has gone from playing cricket for the Strikers to taking up footy for Broadview in 2019, the NAFC in 2020 to the WCE this year.

Greg Smith's daughter "Shelby" will play AFLW in the next year or two but keep an eye on young NAFC player Hannah Ewings, she will be the next big thing in AFLW.

What position does Hannah Ewings play?
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:43 am

BZB27 wrote:
What position does Hannah Ewings play?

On baller, still only 16/17 tops, Was runner up Dutscke Medalist in 2018 despite missing about 5 games, kicks 50 metres, does it all.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:44 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Round 2
Whitten Oval Bulldogs 6.6(42) def. Carlton 5.6(36)
Victoria Park Collingwood 6.9(45) def. Geelong 2.4(16)
Casey Fields Melbourne 7.2(44) def. Richmond 2.4(16)
Arden Street Kangaroos 5.6(36) def. St. Kilda 1.4(10)
Hickey Park Brisbane 10.5(65) def. Gold Coast 0.2(2)
Blacktown Adelaide 9.8(62) def. GWS 2.3(15)
Fremantle Oval Fremantle 2.11(23) def. West Coast 2.2(14)

TABLE
Brisbane 757.1 (8)
Kangaroos 563.2 (8)
Adelaide 357.6 (8)
Melbourne 196.1 (8)
Fremantle 192.9 (8)
Collingwood 181.4 (8)

Bulldogs 96.6 (4)
St. Kilda 78.2 (4)
Carlton 84.0 (0)
West Coast 40.5 (0)
GWS 35.8 (0)
Richmond 32.9 (0)
Gold Coast 3.6 (0)
Geelong 21.6 (0)

Hopefully some of these lower ranked sides play each other in round 3, Geelong has only scored 3 majors so far, Richmond and WCE 4 each, Gold Coast have managed 5 and GWS 6.

So there was a bit of re-jigging due the COVID issues.
Geelong played the Dogs and only managed 1 goal, the Dogs kicked 3.
Gold Coast only managed 1 in their loss to GWS who scored 2.8 in torrential rain.
Adelaide kicked 1.7 in their lowest total ever against Freo who scored 7.1.
Saints 2.4 lost to Carlton 6.4.
Lions defeated WCE 10.5 to 2.8.
Collingwood defeated Richmond 7.6 to 4.7.
Melbourne remain undefeated with 9.6 to 8.3 win over the Kangaroos.

Lions 12
Freo 12
Pies 12
Melb 12
Roos 8
Crows 8

Dogs 8
Carl 4
Saints 4
GWS
Rich 0
WCE 0
GCS 0
Geel 0

Gold Coast who are arguably the least talented side have the huge task of playing probably the best side in the comp (Freo) in WA, their 4th game on the trot on the road, it could get very ugly.
Saints play Geelong in a push for the top 6. similar circumstance for the Blues as they take on an improving Richmond, I think the Tiges might sneak one here.
Roos will bounce back against Collingwood in what should produce some decent scores.
Lions take on Adelaide, the Crows will be keen to make amends but the Lions at home will be a bit more polished.
The Dogs face Melbourne in a tough encounter for the home side, the Dees by plenty.
GWS host WCE as their draw is starting to get easier after a tough opening two rounds.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:00 pm

I wasn't aware that you could bet on these games, it seems like money for jam.

Carlton 1-39 vs Richmond
Freo 35+ vs GC
NM 1-39 vs Coll
BL 1-39 vs Adel
Melb 1-39 vs WB
GWS over WCE

$20 for $300 return.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:01 pm

Gold Coast would be Geelong I reckon. We have girls trying to centre the ball in the back 50 when we are lucky to be able to win a contest in the air. I can see what they are trying to do at Geelong but they don't have the size and the skill to do it. Watching Geelong miss targets all game brings back some horrible memories of the 1999 season. For some reason Fox elected to show the Collingwood v Geelong game at Cat Park. Collingwood were spooners that year and Geelong had lost their previous nine matches. Absolute shocker of a game LOL.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:34 am

Geelong player Williams has that magical indigenous talent, only her first year but she looks like she could be very good in years to come. Female version of Cyril Rioli.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Brodlach » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:46 pm

I think the worst jumper clash I’ve seen between the Saints and Adelaide, both predominantly white.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby JesseWhite » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:57 pm

Brodlach wrote:I think the worst jumper clash I’ve seen between the Saints and Adelaide, both predominantly white.

If it wasn't for the Saints dark shorts they would be virtually indistinguishable
JesseWhite
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby locky801 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:23 pm

Had to laugh watched the Freo/Lions game for a bit.

Commentator Joey whatever his name is says pre game, two powerhouse forward lines here, looking forward to a goal fest and shoot out here.

4 goals kicked for the game :roll:
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:10 am

locky801 wrote:Had to laugh watched the Freo/Lions game for a bit.

Commentator Joey whatever his name is says pre game, two powerhouse forward lines here, looking forward to a goal fest and shoot out here.

At times i believe i am watching a different game than the commentators .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:49 pm

It wasn't a bad call but Starcevich just shut the game down. Boring as batshit that match.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:38 pm

How insecure do you need to be to make a comment like this...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:57 am

AFL media gushing over Chelsea Randall's leadership in not taking to the field in this weeks AFLW GF.

On Monday night Adelaide's Phil Harper said the club had looked at the AFL Concussion protocol to see if there was a "loophole" that would allow Randall to play this week.

So, in summary, the club who was willing to put the GF ahead of her health under the AFL concussion guidelines is now being heralded for it's great leadership.

If I'm missing something here I'm happy to live and learn.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL