St Kilda

Talk on the national game

St Kilda

Postby BZB27 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:36 pm

ST KILDA has temporarily retired Nick Riewoldt's famous No.12 as the six new Saints got their jumper numbers for next year.

Riewoldt's glittering 336-game career came to an end this year and the club is honouring the ex-skipper's legacy by keeping the number No.12 vacant in 2018.

"We believe, and I know it's a view shared by many St Kilda supporters, that temporarily retiring the No.12 is the right call and honours the legacy Nick has created over past 17 years," Saints CEO Matt Finnis said.

"We know that it will be strange for many to see a Saints team without it, but I have no doubt that the day will come where we see the number 12 being proudly represented in the red, white and black again."

Meanwhile, the newest additions to the club have been given their numbers.

Top draftee and No.7 overall Hunter Clark has taken over Leigh Montagna's famous No.11, while pick No.8 Nick Coffield has been given No.33.

Sean Dempster passed his No.24 onto his cousin Logan Austin, who joined the club from Port Adelaide, while draftees Oscar Clavarino (No.38), Ben Paton (No.45) and Doulton Langlands (No.46) have also been allocated their numbers.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Re: St Kilda 2018

Postby BZB27 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:41 pm

FORMER AFL executive Simon Lethlean has returned to football as the new head of St Kilda's football department and Saints CEO Matt Finnis is confident the club's reputation means it can bring in people who have made "mistakes".

Lethlean resigned from the AFL in July after news emerged he had been involved in an affair with a fellow employee.

Finnis announced Lethlean's appointment on Friday morning, saying the former AFL footy boss had been the standout candidate after an extensive search conducted by the club and external consultants Ernst and Young.

"We believe that as a club, we've built equity in terms of what we stand for, and that allows us to bring people into our club who might have made mistakes in the past but are prepared to take accountability for that," Finnis said in Seaford on Friday.

Finnis acknowledged not all St Kilda supporters would be happy with the decision but is confident the right choice has been made.

"People make mistakes and people need to be accountable for their mistakes, but ultimately we're really confident that Simon has demonstrated through his attitude, through the experience that he's had, that he recognises the mistakes that he's made," Finnis said.

"He's put his hand up and we're willing to give him a second chance."

Finnis said it was important Lethlean owned up to his actions.

"What's convinced us is he's taken full accountability for that. Simon's taken responsibility, he's spent the last five months rebuilding trust with those who are most important to him, and they don't work in footy, and he's convinced us of that attitude around accountability," Finnis said.

Lethlean said in a statement he felt "humbled" the Saints had offered him a second chance to work in football.

"I am passionate about football and am thankful to Matt Finnis, Alan Richardson, Peter Summers and the entire board and club for giving me this opportunity," Lethlean said.

"I spoke to the playing group and the entire staff this morning, and outlined my passion for football and the opportunities I see in the role.

"I believe I can be part of a team that delivers real and sustained success to St Kilda Football Club."

Former football manager Jamie Cox has been demoted and while his exact role has not been defined yet, he will continue to be involved with the football department.

"Jamie Cox will assume a new role that affects the grows that we're having as we build an AFLW program, VFLW, academies, partnerships with VFL, both at Sandringham and now with Frankston, as we grow our football footprint right throughout Bayside," Finnis said.

Lethlean's appointment follows the departure of former chief operating officer Ameet Bains to the Western Bulldogs to take on the CEO role.

The Saints opted to restructure after Bains left.

"We took the opportunity to consider what's the right structure and approach to our football program, not just for now, but for the future," Finnis said.

"We're a footy club that right now has got 45 elite athletes, but in three years' time, we'll have probably 80 elite athletes, with AFLW coming onboard, with VFL programs, with VFLW and a whole range of next generation academies. "

Lethlean will start with the Saints on January 8 when the players and coaching staff return from the Christmas break.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Postby BZB27 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Im pretty happy with this appointment thought he was doing a good job at afl house till his indiscretion.

And looks like we are on the verge of getting a better deal at Etihad aswell.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Postby Magellan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:22 pm

BZB27 wrote:Doulton Langlands

Great name. Sounds like he was named after an accountancy firm.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby BZB27 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:28 pm

Magellan wrote:
BZB27 wrote:Doulton Langlands

Great name. Sounds like he was named after an accountancy firm.

He is one of our Irish recruits
BZB27
League - Best 21

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Good to see the St. Kilda 2018 thread has had more traffic than the 2015 ,2016 & 2017 ones combined, on fire.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Lethlean comes as a package deal with the new Saints groundskeeper
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby BZB27 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:46 am

Well another hammy for Freeman just doesnt look like his body is up to the AFL rigours. Was hoping he was finally gonna push for selection.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Postby Q. » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:06 am

BZB27 wrote:Well another hammy for Freeman just doesnt look like his body is up to the AFL rigours. Was hoping he was finally gonna push for selection.
Thankyou for the draft pick
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 am

Q. wrote:
BZB27 wrote:Well another hammy for Freeman just doesnt look like his body is up to the AFL rigours. Was hoping he was finally gonna push for selection.
Thankyou for the draft pick

You can use it to replace De Goey on the list.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby carey » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:02 pm

Single worst performance I’ve ever seen. AFLW have a better skill level, worst skill level I’ve ever seen against a bunch of kids in a rebuild. Hope you mob just miss on percentage again and the Saints look back at this game, although I highly doubt it, bottom 4 looks more likely!

Membrey, McCartin and Bruce should all be dropped on today’s lack of effort

** Yes I had a decent multi going with the pathetic Saints to win :twisted:
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby LMA » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:10 pm

carey wrote:Single worst performance I’ve ever seen. AFLW have a better skill level, worst skill level I’ve ever seen against a bunch of kids in a rebuild. Hope you mob just miss on percentage again and the Saints look back at this game, although I highly doubt it, bottom 4 looks more likely!

Don't be too disappointed it may discourage Wines if he is contemplating going there for big bucks
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby valleys07 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:16 pm

LMA wrote:
carey wrote:Single worst performance I’ve ever seen. AFLW have a better skill level, worst skill level I’ve ever seen against a bunch of kids in a rebuild. Hope you mob just miss on percentage again and the Saints look back at this game, although I highly doubt it, bottom 4 looks more likely!

Don't be too disappointed it may discourage Wines if he is contemplating going there for big bucks

Wines isn't, nor was he ever, going anywhere.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby carey » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:16 pm

Captain Wines going nowhere!
carey
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:48 pm

I don't get why anyone has rated the Saints, no A graders, no heart, no effort and a dud off-field management
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby carey » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:57 pm

Dutchy wrote:I don't get why anyone has rated the Saints, no A graders, no heart, no effort and a dud off-field management

True.
carey
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Dutchy wrote:I don't get why anyone has rated the Saints, no A graders, no heart, no effort and a dud off-field management

Yep, team full of B and C graders with a rubbish coach. Recruiters have made some massive blunders, Fatty McCartin over Petracca lol.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby saintal » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Only had one eye on the match as I was at a family get-to-together, but it looked bloody horrendous. One of the more insipid performances I've seen..and I've seen my fair share.

Terrible standard/spectacle for a 'professional' league.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:21 am

Probably because teams can only go so shit for so long, something has to go right eventually, they were the whipping boys of the comp while I was growing up and that was with Plugger and co out there, even when they had a decent team they always found ways to lose, I even bought a Saints guernsey when they made the GF.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby JK » Tue May 22, 2018 10:26 am

Things looking a bit bleak for the Sainters with Richmond, WC and Sydney in their next 3 games. Judging purely from the body language on his regular AFL 360 spot, Richo looks to be feeling the heat - The recent remarks from the president probably don't help. despite Richo and the club playing it down.

Seems the Saints are struggling for onfield leadership these days and just lack enough quality cattle with players like Billings not coming on as quickly as they would have hoped.

Listening to SEN this morning (where the Saints were the topic) the consensus among their supporters were that they have a bottom 4 list, are devoid of A-graders (Steven and Carlisle were the only 2 put in that bracket), lack leadership, are suffering from poor recruiting and list management in general. Most seemed to feel the Saints had over-achieved in the past two seasons and Richo just doesn't have the cattle to work with. Of course the inaccuracy in front of goal displayed by several of their players (particularly Membrey) doesn't help, nor did Carlisles dropped mark v GWS.

Where to for the Sainters? Many of their supporters are fearing a return to the doldrums of the 80's.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Next

Board index   Football  AFL