Port Adelaide 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

Postby valleys07 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:44 am

Ruben Carter wrote:I can't see the love for Eddy. Good player at SANFL level but not enough tricks for AFL for mine. Also, too slow & doesn't apply enough defensive pressure for mine. I do like him, but if he's playing any more than 4-5 games this year, we're not playing any finals. For mine he offers about the same value as Butcher used to.

I do agree with the defensive pressure, or lack thereof. There is definitely room for improvement in that area of his game.

I disagree with your point about him playing 4-5 games and us not playing finals. As it stands, Dixon is sitting 7th for marks inside 50, has kicked 6 goals, is sitting 12th for contested marks, primarily due to Eddy being in the side. This is the structure that Ken was gunning for in 2016 before Schulz went down in R1.

He offers more than Butcher used to, as he is a natural forward who can get into dangerous spots, demanding attention. This leaves Charlie 1 out, and brings our smalls into the game , either by creating more crumbing opportunities, or allowing them to create their own space. Robbie would have had 3-4 marks I50 on Sunday by working into the space created by Eddy working up field as that key target. A role that Dixon was filling last year, leaving us breaking down around the 50 so often as we were missing that next link.

What isn't getting acknowledged though is how less predictable we are at moving the footy, with Eddy just another option we have. There was a play in the 3rd quarter of the JLT against Hawthorn where Dixon lead up to the ball carrier and it looked like the kick had too much heat on it, and Eddy was the beneficiary playing in front and was able to take the mark.

That same play was run in the 3rd quarter on Sunday. Westhoff (?) kicked to a Dixon lead, who drew a defender with him, but Westy popped it into the space created behind Dixon for Gray to run onto the lose ball and take the mark, to which he duly converted. It was definitely intentional, as when Gray took the mark, you caught Dixon turning back to Westy and giving him a clap.

With Adelaide playing a 4 "tall" forward line of Walker, Jenkins, McGovern and Lynch- Eddy must play to give Ken the flexibility to send Jacko back, should one of these players begin to get on top.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Fricky » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:26 pm

I think $2.65 (sportsbet) for Port is overs. Although you cant take a heap away from the Freo game as Freo are so bad at the moment, Port demolished them like good teams do to cr@p teams. Seems it's set up for a cracker of a Showdown, 1v2, 50k+ crowd, helluva lot of bragging rights on the line
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby JK » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Suri wrote:I think $2.65 (sportsbet) for Port is overs. Although you cant take a heap away from the Freo game as Freo are so bad at the moment, Port demolished them like good teams do to cr@p teams. Seems it's set up for a cracker of a Showdown, 1v2, 50k+ crowd, helluva lot of bragging rights on the line

Yep, reckon it's a genuine 50/50 game so that price definitely overs imho
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:54 pm

$2.75 on Crownbet.

$3.45 1-39

14.5+ $1.92

None of them are getting my money in this one. Adelaide deserve to be solid favorites, I'm not sure $1.46 v $2.75 is right, however.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Fricky » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Booney wrote:$2.75 on Crownbet.

$3.45 1-39

14.5+ $1.92

None of them are getting my money in this one. Adelaide deserve to be solid favorites, I'm not sure $1.46 v $2.75 is right, however.

I reckon you'll have a sneaky bet on a Power win Booney ;)
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby hawks21 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:00 pm

Booney wrote:$2.75 on Crownbet.

$3.45 1-39

14.5+ $1.92

Reckon 1.75 v 2.10 is more around the mark
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:31 pm

Suri wrote:I think $2.65 (sportsbet) for Port is overs. Although you cant take a heap away from the Freo game as Freo are so bad at the moment, Port demolished them like good teams do to cr@p teams. Seems it's set up for a cracker of a Showdown, 1v2, 50k+ crowd, helluva lot of bragging rights on the line

Much better prices around up to $2,95.

I jumped on Port at +15.5 on Sunday night, should be close to evens this game.

Could question Port's opposition to date but also question the pressure Adelaide have been put under by playing GWS and Hawks who both like to run and gun which suits Adelaide to a tee. If Port can make it a tight physical inside battle I think they win.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3507 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Could question Port's opposition to date but also question the pressure Adelaide have been put under by playing GWS and Hawks who both like to run and gun which suits Adelaide to a tee. If Port can make it a tight physical inside battle I think they win.

Sydney in Sydney?

I think you are being a little flattering to Port though in the last part, I don't think they have the mongrel in them to make it a tight physical inside battle, Adelaide are a little more polished in all areas and their lower end players in the team are better than Port's.

It will be an open battle in my eyes, if it wasn't at night I'd say it would be a fair shoot out.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Sydney in Sydney?

I think you are being a little flattering to Port though in the last part, I don't think they have the mongrel in them to make it a tight physical inside battle, Adelaide are a little more polished in all areas and their lower end players in the team are better than Port's.

It will be an open battle in my eyes, if it wasn't at night I'd say it would be a fair shoot out.

Wines, Powell-Pepper, Ebert v Sloane, Douglas, M.Crouch. I'll back our boys to be the winners in the tight physical stakes there.

I agree with the second tier players for Adelaide doing more at the moment.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm

We know that Sydney aren't fully wound up in the first few rounds every year, players out etc.

Good win but ??? marks against it I reckon.

I disagree, I think Port can make it a physical battle.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:01 pm

If anyone tries to win a shootout against the Crows they will lose 95% of the time IMO
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:04 pm

Dutchy wrote:We know that Sydney aren't fully wound up in the first few rounds every year, players out etc.

You'll be hard pressed to take the gloss off of anyone beating Sydney in Sydney in the last 10 years regardless of when and who was playing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:We know that Sydney aren't fully wound up in the first few rounds every year, players out etc.

You'll be hard pressed to take the gloss off of anyone beating Sydney in Sydney in the last 10 years regardless of when and who was playing.

Can't do it. Port were awesome against Sydney in that first round.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:09 pm

Booney wrote:

Was it 8 players missing from their GF side & also 3 debutants?
No doubt it was a good win against the odds but you got them at a good time.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:35 pm

I didn't see the game so can't really comment on how Sydney played...time will tell how good a win it was depending on Sydney's form come the next month or so.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:If anyone tries to win a shootout against the Crows they will lose 95% of the time IMO

You are right but Port do have the fire power when up and running, need Gray, Wingard, Dixon and Westhoff providing something up forward, their best is very good but not consistent enough, I think Adelaide are stronger in and around than Port, overall a better side, Port need to play to their strength and being tough isn't one of them with the current line up.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Dutchy wrote:I didn't see the game so can't really comment on how Sydney played...time will tell how good a win it was depending on Sydney's form come the next month or so.

That's all we can hey.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Dutchy wrote:I didn't see the game so can't really comment on how Sydney played...time will tell how good a win it was depending on Sydney's form come the next month or so.

Didn't see it, but question the merit of the win?

Ok.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Hawthorn haven't ever been a run and gun team.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:06 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Hawthorn haven't ever been a run and gun team.

Uncontested mark kings. Hardly run and gun.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL