GRAND FINAL SYDNEY VS WESTERN BULLDOGS

Talk on the national game

Re: GRAND FINAL SYDNEY VS WESTERN BULLDOGS

Postby helicopterking » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:11 pm

Sydney are chokers. Let's be honest. They are.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby LPH » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:17 pm

Is it fair to say Franklin struggles with the expectation of the 'Big Stage'?
Has he played well in any of Grand Finals he's played in?

Personally, I thought Boyd or Picken should've won the Norm Smith.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby saintal » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:41 pm

LPH wrote:Is it fair to say Franklin struggles with the expectation of the 'Big Stage'?
Has he played well in any of Grand Finals he's played in?

Personally, I thought Boyd or Picken should've won the Norm Smith.

Franklin was one of the swans better players in 2014 from memory.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:14 am

Has there ever been a harder earnt Premiership than this one by the Western Bulldogs?
1st ever team to win a flag from outside the Top 4 under the current format.
I for one struggled to see it ever happening as the odds are so overwhelmingly stacked against it happening.
What were the Bulldogs odds at the start of the Finals series? $61 ? Seemed to remember seeing about that.
Upsets happen in footy all the time from week to week but to prevail 4 weeks in a row when you're the overwhelming underdog each time is quite simply an amazing achievement =D>
Many times over the years we have seen Premiership teams have a soft final or 2 leading into the GF keeping them relatively fresh for the final assault but this certainly wasnt the case for the Bulldogs who had 4 of the toughest scraps imaginable where every game was only decided late in the match on each occasion.
Final 1 - Defeated West Coast (Last seasons Grand Finalists) in one of the toughest road trips going around in Perth who were full of confidence after defeating Adelaide in Adelaide under Finals like atmosphere.
Final 2 - Defeated Hawthorn, the reigning 3 time Premiers on the back of a grueling road trip to Perth which statistics show teams have a terrible record the following week after playing there.
Final 3 - Defeated an in form GWS in Sydney who had just smashed Sydney and had the advantage of a weeks rest in a truly bruising encounter.

Grand Final - Defeated Sydney who had finished top and had the advantage of an extra days break and had a significant experience advantage in playing in Grand Finals.

Taking the emotion out of it that it was the Bulldogs 1st flag for 62 years, i think in years to come it will be talked about as one of the great Premiership wins of all time simply based on where they were at the start of last season with them being a lot of peoples pick for the spoon and the draw they had to overcome by virtue of finishing 7th.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:25 am

I think it will also be remembered the first and only one which had a bye before the finals.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Bum Crack » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:39 am

Haven't supported a team like i have today in a GF other than Geelong like i did today. So pumped for the bullies and their supporters. It was that strange, that i may have even been barracking for em in that last two minutes if they were playing the cats and the game was over. It was just weird hey. So pumped for em and especially their supporters. How good was picken in the last qtr. Freak. Boyd and johannesen were freaks too. His disposal let him down into the forward line early but like i said to the missus, at least he was getting it in there. Can't believe I'm still pumped they won it. Go u Doggies!!!!
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:00 am

First of all let me say Sydneys mids Kennedy aside are flat track bullies, thats a flogging in 14 and 16 now. Struggling to justify the salary cap they take. The recruiting of Franklin has been an out and out failure, 3 years no flags, reportedly just moving into the biggest pay packet of his contract which will see Mitchell become a Hawk. How awesome 2 flags, no Buddy and now we get one of your best mids, lol lol lol. Sydney cant win a flag with the current list, ive never been surer of that, the list will get pulled apart more and more for the last 6 years of Lances contract, lol lol lol
Congrats to the Dogs, took full advantage of the system presented to them. Lets not get too carried away, only way they survive 1st week of the finals is because of the bye. Its a disgrace and Gillon should be sacked over it, absolutely no advantage to the teams that bust their guts to finish top 4. Huge asterisk *****
Fantastic coaching effort from Bevo, obviously has the players 120% playing for him....... but...... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese...... Bob Murphy isnt the 1st to miss a Grand Final through injury and wont be the last, **** he's not even the 1st captain to miss. Lets keep the day for the ones that earn it ffs or should we make it a participation medal like the U10s, why not just give a medal to everyone who played AFL this year. Murphy should be embarrassed to accept it and I hope Beveridge never gets another win, they arnt something to throw away willy nilly.
And lastly Sydney were carrying about $300 of my hard earned and i couldnt be happier to lose it all. I like to think I contributed in a small way.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Bum Crack » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:27 am

daysofourlives wrote:First of all let me say Sydneys mids Kennedy aside are flat track bullies, thats a flogging in 14 and 16 now. Struggling to justify the salary cap they take. The recruiting of Franklin has been an out and out failure, 3 years no flags, reportedly just moving into the biggest pay packet of his contract which will see Mitchell become a Hawk. How awesome 2 flags, no Buddy and now we get one of your best mids, lol lol lol. Sydney cant win a flag with the current list, ive never been surer of that, the list will get pulled apart more and more for the last 6 years of Lances contract, lol lol lol
Congrats to the Dogs, took full advantage of the system presented to them. Lets not get too carried away, only way they survive 1st week of the finals is because of the bye. Its a disgrace and Gillon should be sacked over it, absolutely no advantage to the teams that bust their guts to finish top 4. Huge asterisk *****
Fantastic coaching effort from Bevo, obviously has the players 120% playing for him....... but...... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese...... Bob Murphy isnt the 1st to miss a Grand Final through injury and wont be the last, **** he's not even the 1st captain to miss. Lets keep the day for the ones that earn it ffs or should we make it a participation medal like the U10s, why not just give a medal to everyone who played AFL this year. Murphy should be embarrassed to accept it and I hope Beveridge never gets another win, they arnt something to throw away willy nilly.
And lastly Sydney were carrying about $300 of my hard earned and i couldnt be happier to lose it all. I like to think I contributed in a small way.

Lol. Keeping it real with Daisy.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:13 am

Well done Doggies.

I'm happy. For several reasons but In glad that I will no longer have to hear that the crows were the only side to win it from outside the top 4. HOOFriggenray for that!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:30 am

daysofourlives wrote:First of all let me say Sydneys mids Kennedy aside are flat track bullies, thats a flogging in 14 and 16 now. Struggling to justify the salary cap they take. The recruiting of Franklin has been an out and out failure, 3 years no flags, reportedly just moving into the biggest pay packet of his contract which will see Mitchell become a Hawk. How awesome 2 flags, no Buddy and now we get one of your best mids, lol lol lol. Sydney cant win a flag with the current list, ive never been surer of that, the list will get pulled apart more and more for the last 6 years of Lances contract, lol lol lol

Agree with most of that except the Bob Murphy thing

Premierships are won with more than 22 players, I'm not sure rewarding the players who also played throughout that season would be turning it into an u/10 participation award, I think if anything the current set up of giving it only to 22 who play rewards mediocrity when it separates players who may be playing their second game of the year in the gf to an injured bloke who may have played 15 games that year
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:42 am

whufc wrote:I think it will also be remembered the first and only one which had a bye before the finals.

Gill would say look at the finals series we had and the fact a team from 7th won it.
Gill is in the minority
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby batmanbegins » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:15 am

You guys realise the bye will stay, basically already confirmed as most coaches and ceo's were happy with it plus gill loved it so id get use to it. Personally i just think this year was so even any of the top 7 could have won it, i mean the dogs werent your average 7th side as they did win 15 games.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:19 am

batmanbegins wrote:You guys realise the bye will stay, basically already confirmed as most coaches and ceo's were happy with it plus gill loved it so id get use to it. Personally i just think this year was so even any of the top 7 could have won it, i mean the dogs werent your average 7th side as they did win 15 games.

AFLPA weren't happy with it though and they are growing more powerful. There will be another bye next year so the season will be stretched by another week if the last minor round bye stays
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby MW » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:42 am

WTF
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:52 am

The league shouldn't strike extra medals for players in those circumstances, like, if iirc, the sanfl did for macca and Colville. A recipient, however, can do what they want with it like Bevo did yesterday and Bradley giving his to Motley.
The bye is a joke. How about teams like cwd in 2007 and port in 2014 who came from outside the top 4 and lost prelim to eventual premiers by a kick. Have a full bye with three minor round games to go.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:10 am

Or not have a bye at all. Already got one mid year. Said it all year that this years finals will throw up a change in the norm come finals time. Personally think it's shithouse and needs to be pissed off for good.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:12 am

whufc wrote:

Premierships are won with more than 22 players, I'm not sure rewarding the players who also played throughout that season would be turning it into an u/10 participation award, I think if anything the current set up of giving it only to 22 who play rewards mediocrity when it separates players who may be playing their second game of the year in the gf to an injured bloke who may have played 15 games that year

Where do you draw the line, why doesnt Suckling Jong and Wallis get one? Far more deserving than Murphy who played 4 games. Why stop there, lets give Chris Grant, Brad Johnson and Doug Hawkins one too
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:37 am

daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:

Where do you draw the line, why doesnt Suckling Jong and Wallis get one? Far more deserving than Murphy who played 4 games. Why stop there, lets give Chris Grant, Brad Johnson and Doug Hawkins one too

Yep I agree with Days here.
Only the players on the day deserve the medal.
Shit there is hard luck stories every year........That's life!

Being a good bloke shouldn't give you the right to be 'GIVEN' a premiership medal IMO.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:57 am

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby TEX07 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:58 am

whufc wrote:

Was discussing this yesterday, I have no problem with the AFL awarding a medal to players who at least played in that season or are even on the lost for that matter. The only people I ever here who have issue with it is the supporters, if you asked any of the bulldogs squad yesterday that played if they were happy for their team mates to receive a medal (not on the day - but after) I would think that the majority would be more than happy.

As a Crows fan I remember the footage of Modra on the sidelines in the 97 flag and thinking back then he deserved a medal but knew he would never get one. I think its more of a show of Beverages character that he gave his to Murphy. Any coach in history could have done the same but all chose not to.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL