North Melbourne

Talk on the national game

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:47 am

Surely they won't want Nth to relocate to Tassie. That would make them a shit show in two states instead of one. The AFL don't want that.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 894 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:24 am

locky801 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:So, if the Pres says they have a great list, they obviously won't be asking for a priority pick nor help from the AFL.

Right?

havent they already started those discussions :roll:

If so, it should be thrown out!

Seriously the AFL should just replay that audio and then ask again "so do you really want a priority pick" and make them fess up that their list is sh1zen.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:27 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Buddy to the Roos next year?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

If he left Sydney, it would surely be to a club that is a chance at a flag.

The obvious one is back to the Hawks to top up the super.

I can't see too many flag faves looking at a 35yo to take them across the line.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:33 am

Carlton fans whinging about priority picks going to teams that have never had one make me giggle....
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2330 times
Been liked: 3548 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:46 am

mots02 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Buddy to the Roos next year?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Is that fabled war chest still around?

The war chest might be around but I think it's empty
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11888 times
Been liked: 3613 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:54 am

Dutchy wrote:Carlton fans whinging about priority picks going to teams that have never had one make me giggle....

Who, me?
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:58 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Booney wrote:In another cruel blow Polec has been ruled out for the rest of 2022. Good news though, he's contracted for 2023.

Fantasia areas here.

What we gave up vs what we've got? Don't be silly.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7511 times
Been liked: 10806 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:01 am

Dutchy wrote:
tigerpie wrote:There may be one other reason.

There's heat on north to get back up the ladder quickly to avoid being swallowed by the Tassie license.

Why is there pressure on us to thwart off a Tassie move? Tell me one reason why NMFC would move to Tassie.

I admire your tenacity and defence of the club and you've got plenty to hang your hat on, record membership, debt free, out of gaming, all of which are noble ( no pun ) goals but even you must concede the AFL shipping North off to Tassie is a very real possibility. It has to be and it's not "Why would North move?", it's "Why wouldn't the AFL move them?".
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7511 times
Been liked: 10806 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:12 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

There's heat on north to get back up the ladder quickly to avoid being swallowed by the Tassie license.

Why is there pressure on us to thwart off a Tassie move? Tell me one reason why NMFC would move to Tassie.

I admire your tenacity and defence of the club and you've got plenty to hang your hat on, record membership, debt free, out of gaming, all of which are noble ( no pun ) goals but even you must concede the AFL shipping North off to Tassie is a very real possibility. It has to be and it's not "Why would North move?", it's "Why wouldn't the AFL move them?".

If the AFL choose to do this, they’ll be funding 100% of the cost.
The Tasmanian government has already stated they will only fund a new Tassie team, not a relocated side.
North aren’t moving.
On another note, I was in Melb on the weekend & happened to be in a pub run by a North Melbourne backer. There was a meeting taking place out the back consisting of North Melbourne heavy hitters from the 70’s, 80’s & 90’s. Change is coming re the board & possibly the CEO.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5507 times
Been liked: 5141 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:56 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I don't think it is a possibility at all, if the AFL couldn't get us to the Gold Coast when we were mortgaged to them, how will a Tassie move happen? If the AFL have that power then why haven't they used it before?

We were told we would die on the vine if we don't take the Gold Coast offer, what happened afterwards is the complete opposite.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2330 times
Been liked: 3548 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:59 am

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

If the AFL choose to do this, they’ll be funding 100% of the cost.
The Tasmanian government has already stated they will only fund a new Tassie team, not a relocated side.
North aren’t moving.
On another note, I was in Melb on the weekend & happened to be in a pub run by a North Melbourne backer. There was a meeting taking place out the back consisting of North Melbourne heavy hitters from the 70’s, 80’s & 90’s. Change is coming re the board & possibly the CEO.

I echo Booneys thoughts regarding North supporters passion for their teams I'd be posting similar thought is it effected my footy team.

You're right Spargo, if the AFL want this to happen they'll be coughing up $$$ to make this happen but they'll be looking at as less of an expense than trying to start up two new franchises to accommodate Tasmania and keep it as an even number of teams competition as the existing clubs have already stated they dont want early byes.

Were all whores as Kerry Packer once said, if the price is right Tasmania will come to table if the AFL are forking up $$$ to get what they want. if the carrot is big enough North will "strongly consider" the move too as the AFL wont want this to be a failure ($$$$, picks, fixtures preferences) will be put on the table (TAssie Kangeroos will see a shit load of Bris, GC, GWS Syd, Adel, PA, WC and Freo - lots of "away" games in Victoria to appease the North fans)

We cant always get what you want but you get what you need.

Time will be the judge
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1820 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:15 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Because the AFL can’t force anything, it’s not within their powers. They couldn’t make them move to the Gold Coast years ago so it ain’t happening now. They could make life difficult for them and try to push for it to happen but if North stand firm they can’t do much about it
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:18 pm

Have the AFL stated they would prefer a team to relocate.

That somewhat surprises me......I would have thought the AFL finding a way to get to 20 teams and 10 games on TV would be one of their biggest priorities.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5603 times
Been liked: 2535 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby tigerpie » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:23 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I don't think it is a possibility at all, if the AFL couldn't get us to the Gold Coast when we were mortgaged to them, how will a Tassie move happen? If the AFL have that power then why haven't they used it before?

We were told we would die on the vine if we don't take the Gold Coast offer, what happened afterwards is the complete opposite.

Thanks to James Brayshaw.
If you don't show signs of getting back to winning consistently, ultimately crowds at games starts to dwindle along with membership.
I can't see that happening in the short term.

I can feel a board spill or some sort of coup in the wind.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 504 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:12 pm

How does a team survive long term in Tassie when crowds are usually less than 10k. There is a lot of sponsorship required or the AFL would need to cough up every year
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby RB » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:22 pm

Average attendance at Tassie grounds over the ten years before COVID-19 varied from about 12k to about 16k.

I.e. better than GWS and GC.

I'd wager that the Tasmanians would be keener to go out and support their own side than Hawks/Kangas etc.

Bit of a caveat re the north/south divide though.

Just piss the Giants off and make a new team in Tassie.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 769 times
Been liked: 1081 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:24 pm

Brodlach wrote:How does a team survive long term in Tassie when crowds are usually less than 10k. There is a lot of sponsorship required or the AFL would need to cough up every year

Would a low crowd really be a serious factor? If you averaged 15K per home game, but the cost associated with the ground wasnt great, wouldn't it be as beneficial as getting say 25k to a bigger ground?

I genuinely don't know.. I would just think smaller stadium, less overheads and costs, less attendance required to make money?

Also with no real professional sports side out of Tassie except basketball and cricket, you'd have to think it would be a lot easier to attract Tassie sponsors? No one else to compete with either.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4023 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:30 pm

I was only thinking to begin with the wages, $10 million in players and then the rest.

Even 11 games, crowd of 15k @ an average of $30 comes to $5 million, half of players payments
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:32 pm

I realise TV money etc comes from the AFL but just not sure that is sustainable

Giants and Suns, due to the States sizes, would bring in more TV dollars than Tasmania by a long way
Last edited by Brodlach on Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:34 pm

Brodlach wrote:I was only thinking to begin with the wages, $10 million in players and then the rest.

Even 11 games, crowd of 15k @ an average of $30 comes to $5 million, half of players payments

Maybe additional home games in formative years would help? Government assistance to upgrade or build a slightly increased capacity stadium?
Sponsors, membership.

I dunno.. i'd like to see Tassie in - reckon opposition members wouldn't mind the trip down occasionally either.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4023 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL