General discussion/predictions - in lead up to 2016 season

Talk on the national game

Re: General discussion/predictions - in lead up to 2016 seas

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:27 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:Whats happening with those rape allegations against the hawks players?

I guess they are being handled by the right authorities as Martin's case should be, not trial by media as Martins case currently is.
Where do the AFL and its clubs get off thinking they can over ride the law and subject its employees to far greater penalties than society in general sees fit.
Martin plays football because he is pretty good at it, doesnt mean he has to also choose to be a role model
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Fricky » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:02 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:Whats happening with those rape allegations against the hawks players?

I guess they are being handled by the right authorities as Martin's case should be, not trial by media as Martins case currently is.
Where do the AFL and its clubs get off thinking they can over ride the law and subject its employees to far greater penalties than society in general sees fit.
Martin plays football because he is pretty good at it, doesnt mean he has to also choose to be a role model

No they didn't choose to be role models but threatening to stab a women in the eyes is pathetic regardless of who you are.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Magellan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:04 am

A big difference between rape allegations (which are still to be proven, hence the need for the legal process to determine the answer) and an admission by Martin of, in essence, an assault. Not sure it's a trial by media when you've conceded your own guilt.

Not sure the AFL can override penalties for assault, which could result in jail time. Martin can consider himself lucky she didn't take it further.

Martin gets very, very well paid to play footy, more than many professionals, and live out every kid's dream. The trade off is that he simply has to not behave like a knob in public. He doesn't have to act like a role model, but he is in the public eye and has a profile like it or not. If he doesn't like what professional footy requires, he can go play in the parklands.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:22 am

Magellan wrote:A big difference between rape allegations (which are still to be proven, hence the need for the legal process to determine the answer) and an admission by Martin of, in essence, an assault. Not sure it's a trial by media when you've conceded your own guilt.

Not sure the AFL can override penalties for assault, which could result in jail time. Martin can consider himself lucky she didn't take it further.

Martin gets very, very well paid to play footy, more than many professionals, and live out every kid's dream. The trade off is that he simply has to not behave like a knob in public. He doesn't have to act like a role model, but he is in the public eye and has a profile like it or not. If he doesn't like what professional footy requires, he can go play in the parklands.

All Dusty has admitted to is being drunk.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7929 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:33 am

He apologised for his actions. He's admitted guilt.

Needs to be penalised!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:34 am

daysofourlives wrote:

They are hawk players, probably be swept under the rug.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:41 am

Not so sure LMcQ. According to The Age:

On Monday, a contrite Martin called the female customer and apologised to her for his behaviour.

A club spokesman said that Martin's behaviour was clearly unacceptable, that he had apologised to the woman in question as well as to the managers and owners of the restaurant.

"He had been drinking and was clearly disruptive to other diners and a female patron," the spokesman confirmed.

"He has subsequently called her and apologised and that apology has been accepted. His behaviour was not good enough."

Martin said in a statement released by the club late on Monday afternoon: "Regrettably, I was intoxicated and that, in itself, is completely unacceptable.

"I do, however, take responsibility for my behaviour and I am deeply embarrassed.

"If anything I have said or done has caused anyone to feel threatened, then that is totally inappropriate."
[/i]

Yes, Martin expressly admits to being drunk. But by apologizing for his behavior, both publicly and personally, then he also admits to his conduct which includes to the verbal and physical threats that followed.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:46 am

Magellan wrote:Not so sure LMcQ. According to The Age:

On Monday, a contrite Martin called the female customer and apologised to her for his behaviour.

A club spokesman said that Martin's behaviour was clearly unacceptable, that he had apologised to the woman in question as well as to the managers and owners of the restaurant.

"He had been drinking and was clearly disruptive to other diners and a female patron," the spokesman confirmed.

"He has subsequently called her and apologised and that apology has been accepted. His behaviour was not good enough."

Martin said in a statement released by the club late on Monday afternoon: "Regrettably, I was intoxicated and that, in itself, is completely unacceptable.

"I do, however, take responsibility for my behaviour and I am deeply embarrassed.

"If anything I have said or done has caused anyone to feel threatened, then that is totally inappropriate."
[/i]

Yes, Martin expressly admits to being drunk. But by apologizing for his behavior, both publicly and personally, then he also admits to his conduct which includes to the verbal and physical threats that followed.

Read it how you like mate, the media likes to generalise and I'm not sold.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:05 am

Sure, but I'm not sure what's in dispute. The facts (drunkenness and assault) were alleged by the woman in question. Martin and the club didn't rebut them. He apologized almost immediately. If there was doubt about her story, then it follows that he wouldn't have confessed. I don't think the media's confected anything here.

I do agree the media likes to generalise and sensationalise things re: footy players. If it were anyone else, like you or me, then we wouldn't know about it. But he's a public figure (rightly or wrongly). He ought to be more circumspect.

Righto, I'm done. That's enough Dustin Martin analysis for me for this year and the next.
Magellan
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:04 am

Maybe Martin responded threateningly because he himself felt threatened at the time by the lady?
Maybe he stood up over her, because she decided to stand over him in the first instance as he say there?
Maybe he threatened to stab her in the face with chopsticks because she baited him asking what he was gonna do?

Meh I think she put herself in that position, she should've dealt with the situation better i.e. go to the manager or bar staff or even one of his mates, but instead she decided to be the hero who spotted an AFL footy player and thought she would jump on her high horse - when that didn't work she ran all the way to the news to get her 5 minutes of fame.

He didn't touch her, move on.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4006 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:10 am

Zartan wrote:Maybe Martin responded threateningly because he himself felt threatened at the time by the lady?
Maybe he stood up over her, because she decided to stand over him in the first instance as he say there?
Maybe he threatened to stab her in the face with chopsticks because she baited him asking what he was gonna do?

Meh I think she put herself in that position, she should've dealt with the situation better i.e. go to the manager or bar staff or even one of his mates, but instead she decided to be the hero who spotted an AFL footy player and thought she would jump on her high horse - when that didn't work she ran all the way to the news to get her 5 minutes of fame.

Pretty much how I see it, it's a win/win for anyone in the general public when they see an AFL player with a few under his belt.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:11 am

Zartan wrote:Maybe Martin responded threateningly because he himself felt threatened at the time by the lady?

I think that Freo supporter should've handled herself better as well.
People who speak to others in a public place deserve what they get.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:15 am

daysofourlives wrote:

Another straight bat from Days telling it how it is, you're somewhat controversial at times but I respect your views.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:16 am

Dogwatcher wrote:

Hardly a comparison IMO.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:18 am

SO since he didn't touch her, it's ok?

Unbelievable
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:19 am

Dogwatcher wrote:

Unsure if you are being serious or not DW!
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:23 am

Yes, yes, that lady must have stood over the bloke with the neck ink, shit haircut, chiseled physique and really intimidated him. You're spot on mate, he must have really feared for his safety. I hope he's ok.

Now, as for violence, violence against women, at least we know it's ok if it's justified.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7497 times
Been liked: 10784 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:23 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

Unsure if you are being serious or not DW!

Not. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:24 am

woodublieve12 wrote:

Unbelievable

It is, but isn't.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:26 am

Booney wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Unbelievable

It is, but isn't.

Yeah nah.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL