Port Adelaide 2016

Talk on the national game

Port Adelaide 2016

Postby valleys07 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Redemption.

The 1-4 year players returned for pre-season today, where the club crowned a new 3km time trial winner for the first time since 2004, with Kane Mitchell saluting ahead of Tom Clurey and Sam Colquhoun. Jimmy Toumpas finished 6th in a field of 9- a disappointing finish by his standards (apparently tested really well at Melbourne in endurance running), although nothing to get disappointed about as a port fan- Polec's first time trial was a huge disappointment too.

Interesting to read the following article from Darren Burgess:

It seems being incredibly fit is no longer considered the all-important facet of a clubs’ pre-season training schedule, says Darren Burgess.

The high performance manager at Port Adelaide revealed that the club is more intent on improving technically rather than going overboard on the fitness regime.

“Most of the running numbers now say the more successful teams run less because they’ve got the ball,” said Burgess on SEN radio.

“So, when you see teams storming home in the last quarter everybody says they are wonderfully fit.

“But for the first three quarters they’ve had the ball and the other team’s had to do all the running.

“So you want to have the ball for as long as you can and conserve that energy.”

Since the fitness guru returned to the club they have been considered one of the fittest teams in the competition, capable of playing a frantic level of football for long periods.

“We’re just trying to get as much time training or skills and game plan,” explained Burgess.

“We went to Dubai the last couple of years and we felt that gave our guys a nice fitness and physiological benefit.

“But, with the soft cap and the list the way it is we decided not to go this year and just spend a lot more time on footy.

“We had the balls out today on day one and want to be specific to the game as possible.”

Burgess was quite pleased with the physical shape that the first group of players returned in to start pre-season training.

“It’s not too bad, there are some in better shape than others but generally speaking the boys were pretty good,” he said.

“Only the young ones today and it was 36 degrees over here so that was nice.

“It was a 3km time trial and then some skills and we had Kane Mitchell who came in on top who is a pretty elite runner.”

However, some of the Power players were intent on doing all they can to make 2016 a much better season than the last.

“Three or four days after we played our last game against Freo we had about eight guys in the gym,” said Burgess.

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/11-15/good-t ... VluZiyy.99

The rest of the squad resumes pre-season on Monday 23rd November.

Bring on 2016.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

Postby carey » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:54 pm

Win both Showdowns with ease
Finish top 4
Win a home prelim
Play Freo in the GF only gotta kick 12 to beat them
Boak win the normsmith
Grey win the brownlow
We don't care about the Coleman.

All done.

Toumpous win Magpies B&F

Have I missed anything?
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby valleys07 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:06 am

That settles that. Premiers :D

Are you starting the 2017 thread, Carey, or am I?
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:27 am

carey wrote:Win both Showdowns with ease
Finish top 4
Win a home prelim
Boak win the normsmith
Grey win the brownlow

All done.

Toumpous win Magpies B&F

Have I missed anything?

Who is Grey?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby MW » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:29 am

Also not ideal when a guy you delist wins your 3km time trial
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:30 am

MW wrote:Also not ideal when a guy you delist wins your 3km time trial

Matters **** all. Probably hundreds of blokes around the country who would win most clubs 3k time trials who aren't or have never been on lists.

Move on...troll. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:33 am

Booney wrote:

Matters **** all. Probably hundreds of blokes around the country who would win most clubs 3k time trials who aren't or have never been on lists.

Move on...troll. ;)

Could be embarrassing for the coaching staff if they back flip on the promise of re drafting him.....or some other club get in First. But seeing he has accepted the invitation to training that is unlikely.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby MW » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:35 am

Booney wrote:

Move on...troll. ;)

:lol:
MW
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:36 am

heater31 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Move on...troll. ;)

Could be embarrassing for the coaching staff if they back flip on the promise of re drafting him.....or some other club get in First. But seeing he has accepted the invitation to training that is unlikely.

My guide to a Port loss was seeing K.Mitchell in the line up. They would be stupid to take him back.
MW
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:39 am

MW wrote:
carey wrote:Win both Showdowns with ease
Finish top 4
Win a home prelim
Boak win the normsmith
Grey win the brownlow

All done.

Toumpous win Magpies B&F

Have I missed anything?

Who is Grey?

Someone shady.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:41 am

heater31 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Move on...troll. ;)

Yeah, very unlikely that another club would take him from under Ports nose. Also a little odd that we would delist him and make him work for his spot as, from all accounts, he trains harder than anyone. Not like he is in the position of needing to prove his work ethic or commitment.

Having said that, it is football and his football skills do not match his running abilities. I'd rather see us look elsewhere for a rookie to work with, but....you need a rookie who can be elevated and play right away, if required.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:03 pm

A quick glance at next year's draw. On paper its as soft as you are likely to get. Mind you, Carlton and Brisbane on paper this year looked ordinary...

Top 8 at an absolute minimum.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby valleys07 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:26 pm

An update on Jared Polec:

JARED Polec’s recovery from a foot injury is tracking well and could see him fit for the beginning of season 2016.

Port Adelaide head of high performance Darren Burgess told portadelaidefc.com.au while Polec is back running, there's still a fair way to go before he’s ready to play in the NAB Challenge.

“He’s been running now for four weeks, so we’re not expecting miracles but hopefully sometime after Christmas he’ll be joining in full training and ready to go,” Burgess said.

“We’re really happy with where he is at the moment, it’s been a deliberately conservative process and it’ll still be that way – really conservative.”

The 22-year old was sidelined in Round 5, 2015 with a navicular bone injury, sitting out the remainder of the season.

He’s been putting in the extra yards to retain his fitness, including coming out to the 1-4 year players preseason on Monday morning to get some extra training under his belt.

Polec ran steady laps as his teammates completed a 3km time trial and skills practice.

Burgess explained they’ll continue to take his recovery slowly and hopefully Polec will be fit to play come March.

“So far, so good…there’s been no hiccups or anything like that,” he said.

“He’ll continue his running progressions, and hopefully join in full training around mid to late January, and hopefully, all going well, should be right for the start of the season.”

valleys07
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:43 pm

Really hope for the kid's sake he can cop a decent run with injury.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby valleys07 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:56 pm

Absolutely. The lad is far from out of the woods, but scans revealed that the bone is almost healed.

From a fans perspective- Jesus I hope he gets back. Not to lump pressure on him, but his run and carry, and ability to break the lines is crucial to our 2016 campaign and beyond.

valleys07
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:33 am

Port set to post a profit for 2015. Good news, another step forward off field for a club doing lots of things right off field and in the community.

Well done KT, Kochie and co.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Stumps » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:57 am

[quote="Booney"]Port set to post a profit for 2015. Good news, another step forward off field for a club doing lots of things right off field and in the community.

Well done KT, Kochie and co.[/quote

Kochie successfully juggling two careers. would have been some speculation at the time of appointment from people who weren't in the know I dare say
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:07 am

Stumps wrote:
Booney wrote:Port set to post a profit for 2015. Good news, another step forward off field for a club doing lots of things right off field and in the community.

Kochie successfully juggling two careers. would have been some speculation at the time of appointment from people who weren't in the know I dare say

Being club president is a voluntary role and cannot be considered a career as such. Koch is no different to Brayshaw or Maguire.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:10 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Being club president is a voluntary role and cannot be considered a career as such. Koch is no different to Brayshaw or Maguire.

Whilst some, perhaps many, will dispute this, he's similar to Eddie in many ways, but completely different to Brayshaw. You see, Brayshaw, is a complete **** head.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Stumps » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:45 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Stumps wrote:
Booney wrote:Port set to post a profit for 2015. Good news, another step forward off field for a club doing lots of things right off field and in the community.

Being club president is a voluntary role and cannot be considered a career as such. Koch is no different to Brayshaw or Maguire.

I am aware of this
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Next

Board index   Football  AFL