Port Adelaide 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

Postby Magellan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:46 am

Grahaml wrote:
Dutchy wrote:While she is getting what she deserves I do cringe that the media have found out where she has lives, named her and chucked cameras in her face as she tried to leave home in a car.

I think its been handled really well right up to now, and the last thing anyone would want is to tip her over the edge with all the pressure she is getting. I think the media have a role to play here and step back a touch.

The media in this country are disgusting. They smell blood in the water and they all go in for the kill and then dance on the victim's grave. If you ever call them out on it though they have this appalled reaction and hide behind this "public interest" nonsense.

Leave the girl alone. She's copped her whack and will be dealt with through official channels. Certainly no need to harass someone in the name of a story.

Yes, couldn't agree more. She's been outed, has accepted the error of her ways and is doing something about it. The last thing she needs now is a witch-hunt, whether it's by the media or the public in general.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby stan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:43 am

Magellan wrote:
Grahaml wrote:
Dutchy wrote:While she is getting what she deserves I do cringe that the media have found out where she has lives, named her and chucked cameras in her face as she tried to leave home in a car.

I think its been handled really well right up to now, and the last thing anyone would want is to tip her over the edge with all the pressure she is getting. I think the media have a role to play here and step back a touch.

The media in this country are disgusting. They smell blood in the water and they all go in for the kill and then dance on the victim's grave. If you ever call them out on it though they have this appalled reaction and hide behind this "public interest" nonsense.

Leave the girl alone. She's copped her whack and will be dealt with through official channels. Certainly no need to harass someone in the name of a story.

Yes, couldn't agree more. She's been outed, has accepted the error of her ways and is doing something about it. The last thing she needs now is a witch-hunt, whether it's by the media or the public in general.

Yep she has copped her whack and apologized. I would say its time to move on, it was a shit act and Port and the entire football community has let her knw that.

But there is no chance of it settling down now. The her name is out there and so is where she lives now. It has only just begun really and its only a matter of time before this gets out of control.

One thing that impress me is the way betts has handled this. Yes he said he is disappointed that rascim is still a about but he has just taken it in his stride and moved on.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:46 am

Grahaml wrote:

Maybe everyone on social media, you and I, need to step back and stop sharing her photo, naming and shaming her and smelling blood in the water.
There's at least rules regarding what media can and can't do - there aren't any about what's said and done online.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby heater31 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:26 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Grahaml wrote:

Maybe everyone on social media, you and I, need to step back and stop sharing her photo, naming and shaming her and smelling blood in the water.
There's at least rules regarding what media can and can't do - there aren't any about what's said and done online.

My office radio used to be tuned to Triple M.....didn't even last 30 seconds yesterday and now listen to something else that is based in a 'non AFL' State.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby MW » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:21 am

I think the "indefinite ban" was a good thing to do, but to leave it up to the aboriginal players to decide if she can attend games again I do not agree with.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2617 times
Been liked: 1855 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:42 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Grahaml wrote:

DW - Are media allowed to be on her property sticking their cameras up against her car window for a shot? Fair game if she is out on the street but on her property?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2329 times
Been liked: 3529 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:51 am

I don't disagree. And she could complain about that, if she chose to.
But...'the public' needs to stop blaming the media when these things blow up, because, I can bet you, on just about every occasion it's Joe Public bringing attention to it, then sharing it, then commenting on it, then abusing the person, before 'the media' has even reported anything on it.
Some of the stuff said and shared on socmed about this girl is appalling and it's standard stuff - the shark feeding begins well before the media even gets something online about it.
I'm not saying the media is blameless, but in this day of clicks and hits the public are the ultimate controller of what the media reports, they set the pace.
It is the public that invades her socmed accounts and shares her image.
The public has more control over what is broadcast than has ever happened before, that's the point of social media, after all.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:28 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I don't disagree. And she could complain about that, if she chose to.
But...'the public' needs to stop blaming the media when these things blow up, because, I can bet you, on just about every occasion it's Joe Public bringing attention to it, then sharing it, then commenting on it, then abusing the person, before 'the media' has even reported anything on it.
Some of the stuff said and shared on socmed about this girl is appalling and it's standard stuff - the shark feeding begins well before the media even gets something online about it.
I'm not saying the media is blameless, but in this day of clicks and hits the public are the ultimate controller of what the media reports, they set the pace.
The public has more control over what is broadcast than has ever happened before, that's the point of social media, after all.

And therein lies the problem, you are letting uneducated masses dictate what you broadcast/print. How many times does news.com.au have a story "revealing" something that has been a stupid story from a random place on Facebook for 3 days prior? Lazy journalists trawling through FB, Twitter etc and then "writing", re-wording, a story about what they've seen. Journalists in the past would take pride in what they reported, I wonder if the same can be said these days.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:34 am

Zelezny Chucks wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I don't disagree. And she could complain about that, if she chose to.

And therein lies the problem, you are letting uneducated masses dictate what you broadcast/print. How many times does news.com.au have a story "revealing" something that has been a stupid story from a random place on Facebook for 3 days prior? Lazy journalists trawling through FB, Twitter etc and then "writing", re-wording, a story about what they've seen. Journalists in the past would take pride in what they reported, I wonder if the same can be said these days.

That's a fair point - I reckon a lot of journos are shaking their heads at what has happened. But, in this climate, if you're writing stuff and no one's reading it, you're losing money.
Last edited by Dogwatcher on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:06 pm

True journalists, let's say people who earn their living at reporting news, breaking news, no longer have the advantage of being able to be the first on the scene with police radio etc, they are now often well behind the socmed ( did you make that up, DW? ) users in getting news out. As such, the best of the material/footage is already taken and despite being the first professional on the scene they are perhaps within minutes reporting on second hand news.

Makes you wonder, who'd be a journo now then? :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:24 pm

The irony is, people were told that their booing was really affecting Adam Goodes. But yet the public responded with get fked, ill do it anyway.

So we cant then turn around and complain when a racist perpetrator is hounded. She made her bed...

Maybe it will make people think about the consequences of their actions - there is no anonymity afforded to you by being in a crowd anymore
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:31 pm

bennymacca wrote:The irony is, people were told that their booing was really affecting Adam Goodes. But yet the public responded with get fked, ill do it anyway.

So we cant then turn around and complain when a racist perpetrator is hounded. She made her bed...

Maybe it will make people think about the consequences of their actions - there is no anonymity afforded to you by being in a crowd anymore

Might also make people think that you can't leave your "normal" persona at home, just because you've hopped on a bus with your teams colours on. Some people simply change on game day.

I'm pretty sure, certain, that many people at the footy would not behave anything like they do at the football compared to the way they behave at home, work or play.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Funny you mention your 'persona' Boon. When I watch the Cats at home I carry on like an absolute Pork Chop. When I go to a game I tone it down considerably. You just can't act the same way IMO. Kind of like acting the fool at a mates' BBQ is not the same as doing it at a pub.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:49 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Funny you mention your 'persona' Boon. When I watch the Cats at home I carry on like an absolute Pork Chop. When I go to a game I tone it down considerably. You just can't act the same way IMO. Kind of like acting the fool at a mates' BBQ is not the same as doing it at a pub.

regards,

REB

Acting like a fool is part of the fun of it. As long as it is in the right spirit. I get a skinful and sing and dance around like an idiot on the hill at every crows game. But I have never been aggro other than to another crows supporter when he had a go at nick riewoldt for being unconscious.

I really dont get the attraction of yelling at opposition players like they are the enemy. Especially when most of them would all of a sudden turn around and think they are awesome if they came to their club
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:57 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Funny you mention your 'persona' Boon. When I watch the Cats at home I carry on like an absolute Pork Chop. When I go to a game I tone it down considerably. You just can't act the same way IMO. Kind of like acting the fool at a mates' BBQ is not the same as doing it at a pub.

regards,

REB

Acting like a fool is part of the fun of it. As long as it is in the right spirit. I get a skinful and sing and dance around like an idiot on the hill at every crows game. But I have never been aggro other than to another crows supporter when he had a go at nick riewoldt for being unconscious.

I really dont get the attraction of yelling at opposition players like they are the enemy. Especially when most of them would all of a sudden turn around and think they are awesome if they came to their club

Acting the fool and not acting is probably the definition there. I remember once I was at Norwood Oval on my Pat Malone as my mate wussed out so off I went to the Parade. This was in 2004 under Macca and were going about as well as we do these days. Centrals were the powerhouse and they were piling on the goals and I was with the bogans (i.e. Centrals supporters) at the Northern End (as far South as they would go) and there were heaps of them. After Centrals kicked something like eight in a row I yelled out 'BORING! Give someone else a go', got a few laughs out of the crew on the hill. I didn't have much backup LOL.

But when I was a much younger man a mate and I went to Glenelg and as usual the Redlegs were copping a hiding, we could never win at that pretend football ground. I yelled out 'KICK A ******* GOAL YOU ARSEHOLES'. Nek Minnett one of the biggest blokes I've ever seen slowly stands up and says 'Kindly stop swearing, I'm here with my son' before he informed me he was an off duty cop. So older and wiser gets a laugh, young and dumb nearly gets his nuts squashed by Sargent Slaughter. These days only older and wiser goes to the football and old and dumb stays home and yells at the TV. :D

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:03 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Funny you mention your 'persona' Boon. When I watch the Cats at home I carry on like an absolute Pork Chop. When I go to a game I tone it down considerably.

I'm similar - I'm more likely to be vocal in my lounge room than at a game - when I go to the game, I go to watch the spectacle and drink copious amounts of alcohol - not carry on like an idiot.. I also get frustrated and annoyed with the "experts" who go to the footy, criticise every player and every play and know all the answers and give running commentary/analysis as the game is being played - makes me rather stay home and listen to the buffoons who get paid to do it :roll:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4011 times

Postby Grahaml » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:04 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Grahaml wrote:

I've not shared her photo, named her or shamed her anywhere. I never liked or shared any image of her either. I actually have never seen her name anywhere and I hope that remains the case. So you can take the "you" out of that comment and just leave that as yourself doing that.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:08 pm

Zartan wrote: I also get frustrated and annoyed with the "experts" who go to the footy, criticise every player :

Crows fans are terrible for this.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:16 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Zartan wrote: I also get frustrated and annoyed with the "experts" who go to the footy, criticise every player :

Crows fans are terrible for this.

Port fans are no better :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4011 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Grahaml wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
Grahaml wrote:

I've not shared her photo, named her or shamed her anywhere. I never liked or shared any image of her either. I actually have never seen her name anywhere and I hope that remains the case. So you can take the "you" out of that comment and just leave that as yourself doing that.

I won't take the 'you' out of 'you and I' because that was referring to socmed users as a communal group, of which you and I are a part. Just as, in your post, you were referring to the 'media' as one communal group.
Dogwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL