Fox Footy- History Month

Talk on the national game

Re: Fox Footy- History Month

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:21 am

JK wrote:
saintal wrote:
JK wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:Got the Swans v Saints game where Caven got his face caved in tonight. I laugh at this as one commentator (I forget who) said Lockett did nothing wrong and then because there is only 2500 people in the crowd you can hear everything the crowd is yelling at Lockett. It's **** gold!

Was that the same game the Pig was put onto the Oval, or is that a different one?

Pig incident was a year earlier. The Caven game in 1994 was a beauty, saints were 7 or 8 goals down at 3/4 time.

Cheers mate .. I remembered they were a mile down and came from the clouds.

Next question - was Nathan Buckley underrated by most non-Collingood people?

I think the answer is very straight forward - No. And am wondering why you are asking?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby JK » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:52 am

Because watching some old footage reminded me of how much ability he had. A lot of my mates could never see that because of their dislike for him.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:57 am

heater31 wrote:
Booney wrote:Another question, how would a midfield of Voss, Black, Buckley, Akermanis and Co. have done for Brisbane?

Maybe stopped Port winning in 2004 ;)

No mate, that was history in the making. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:58 am

Booney wrote:
No mate, that was history in the making. :lol:

Then they stopped, stopped, stopped.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:07 am

JK wrote:Because watching some old footage reminded me of how much ability he had. A lot of my mates could never see that because of their dislike for him.

I was never a fan, prob still not a fan, but he could play and he did win a brownlow and polled very well in a few other years.
Talking about brownlows, I noticed Woewodin playing last night, how the hell did he win won, He appeared to be designated kicker from full back was woewoeful.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:10 am

Those Collingwood teams of that year 1998 featured a lot of no-name players.
Pugsley, Liddell as examples.

Funnily, I didn't realise McDonald played so many games for us. 60-odd, on top of 40 at Hawthorn.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:10 am

I'd also forgotten how much Graeme Wright annoyed the shit out of me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:12 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
JK wrote:Because watching some old footage reminded me of how much ability he had. A lot of my mates could never see that because of their dislike for him.

I was never a fan, prob still not a fan, but he could play and he did win a brownlow and polled very well in a few other years.
Talking about brownlows, I noticed Woewodin playing last night, how the hell did he win won, He appeared to be designated kicker from full back was woewoeful.

Had one good season, and stood out as a ball carrier/user/receiver.

Amazing to think a player like that could win a Brownlow but greats of the game like Carey couldn't get near one. It's a good example of why I always thought the Brownlow was overrated when evaluating a players worth.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:14 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I'd also forgotten how much Graeme Wright annoyed the shit out of me.

Wrighty was a fantastic player .. Watching those games in the the late 90's a few of them maybe went on a bit too long. You're right about Collingwood having a lot of bit part players, even blokes like Godden fell into that category. Players like Francis and Russell were shadows of their former selves in their last years at Collingwood.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:18 am

JK wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I'd also forgotten how much Graeme Wright annoyed the shit out of me.

Wrighty was a fantastic player .. Watching those games in the the late 90's a few of them maybe went on a bit too long. You're right about Collingwood having a lot of bit part players, even blokes like Godden fell into that category. Players like Francis and Russell were shadows of their former selves in their last years at Collingwood.

Jamie Tape was another bit-part player. I'm not sure we entirely understood the draft back then.
We lacked stability under Shaw.

I was surprised to see Monkey, Francis, Crosisca, Wright and Russell were also still important players for us in 1998.
Great servants but, as you said, held on too long.

Wright didn't use the ball very well. But...then, anyone would look ordinary with their disposal when they played alongside Bucks.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:26 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I was surprised to see Monkey, Francis, Crosisca, Wright and Russell were also still important players for us in 1998.

Footy still seemed to be a boy's club back then. It's all business now, mostly.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby am Bays » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:36 am

Q. wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I was surprised to see Monkey, Francis, Crosisca, Wright and Russell were also still important players for us in 1998.

Still is if you look at Adelaide's HR recruitment strategy.....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:41 am

Q. wrote:

Wouldn't have been any feedback to the coaching group after the leadership group called an honesty session. Imagine inviting Monkey to one of those? :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:46 am

Booney wrote:
Q. wrote:

Wouldn't have been any feedback to the coaching group after the leadership group called an honesty session. Imagine inviting Monkey to one of those? :lol:

Ha, the poor bloke that got to tell Monkey that his skin folds were too high must have been shitting himself.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby am Bays » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:49 am

Q. wrote:
Booney wrote:Wouldn't have been any feedback to the coaching group after the leadership group called an honesty session. Imagine inviting Monkey to one of those? :lol:

Ha, the poor bloke that got to tell Monkey that his skin folds were too high must have been shitting himself.

Monkey: Wadda ya mean my skin folds are too high, of course they are, I'm taller than youse
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:50 am

Q. wrote:
Booney wrote:
Q. wrote:

Saw Monkey tell a cracking yarn about being a plumber as a lad. Crawling under a house, fixing a busted shitter. Long cut short, someone snapped off a steamer and flushed it only for him to hear the goings on, try to escape and ended up with a hot one in the middle of his back as he tried in vain to crawl out.... :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:09 pm

Remember an old Sports Weekly magazine I had and in an interview question was "what was the best locker room prank you have seen". Monkhurst shot his load in to a cup (that still already had some water in it) on the last day of the season and left it in Tony Shaws locker and it sat there until January when Shaw finally returned to training. When Shaw opened his locker it stank as you would imagine and he had to throw out everything in it.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:33 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Remember an old Sports Weekly magazine I had and in an interview question was "what was the best locker room prank you have seen". Monkhurst shot his load in to a cup (that still already had some water in it) on the last day of the season and left it in Tony Shaws locker and it sat there until January when Shaw finally returned to training. When Shaw opened his locker it stank as you would imagine and he had to throw out everything in it.

Usually the victim of a prank is the one who ends up being embarrassed or coming* off second-best. In this case, however, I reckon the reverse is true.

Footy still seemed to be a boy's club back then.

Case in point!
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:42 pm

Magellan wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:Remember an old Sports Weekly magazine I had and in an interview question was "what was the best locker room prank you have seen". Monkhurst shot his load in to a cup (that still already had some water in it) on the last day of the season and left it in Tony Shaws locker and it sat there until January when Shaw finally returned to training. When Shaw opened his locker it stank as you would imagine and he had to throw out everything in it.

Usually the victim of a prank is the one who ends up being embarrassed or coming* off second-best. In this case, however, I reckon the reverse is true.

Footy still seemed to be a boy's club back then.

Case in point!

I, kind of, thought the same thing.
It would be uncomfortable recalling that story, let alone actually being involved in it.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:13 pm

I'm not sure if Monkhorst himself was interviewed in LK's Sports Weekly magazine, but if he was, I'd love to hear how he described his own act of self-gratification.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL