Carlton

Talk on the national game

Re: Carlton

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:07 am

beef wrote:If Docherty didnt have cancer no one would even talk about him. Over rated footballer who the media loves because of his health issues

Harsh?

He hasn't been brilliant this year but our B&F will be won by someone playing 3 decent games.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby RB » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:38 am

I don't watch much of Carlton but from my perspective the problem is the cattle. I just don't reckon the 5th to 15th or thereabouts best players measure up to their counterparts at a majority of clubs.

How has their drafting over the last 20 years been so poor? Along with Essendon, there has been no point since about 2002, 2003-ish where I've been even remotely expecting them to figure up near the top of the ladder at the end of the season.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 769 times
Been liked: 1081 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:51 am

Their list is bog average.

Midfield Cripps (52%), Walsh (63), Curnow (53) are ranked below average for kicking efficiency.

Forward Owies, Martin and Motlop are below average for tackles inside 50.

It goes in crap. It doesn't get held in.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7511 times
Been liked: 10806 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:08 pm

Booney wrote:Their list is bog average.

Midfield Cripps (52%), Walsh (63), Curnow (53) are ranked below average for kicking efficiency.

Thats the one.....

Cant win games in the AFL with no defensive pressure.

When Carlton lost to Melbourne two weeks ago. Neal Bullen had 7 tackles, Chandler 5, Pickett 3.

Carlton on the other hand had, Boyd 3 and Owies with 3 and not much else from their forward line.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5603 times
Been liked: 2535 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:13 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
beef wrote:If Docherty didnt have cancer no one would even talk about him. Over rated footballer who the media loves because of his health issues

Harsh?

He hasn't been brilliant this year but our B&F will be won by someone playing 3 decent games.

Cerra wins it easily imo
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 1452 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:14 pm

whufc wrote:

Thats the one.....

When Carlton lost to Melbourne two weeks ago. Neal Bullen had 7 tackles, Chandler 5, Pickett 3.

Carlton on the other hand had, Boyd 3 and Owies with 3 and not much else from their forward line.

Rank 13th for forward half turn overs.

No pressure in the forward line, no speed in the midfield to stop it when it comes out. Pretty obvious where the problems lie.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7511 times
Been liked: 10806 times

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:16 pm

whufc wrote:

Thats the one.....

They provide zero offensive pressure also, Motlop Durdin Owies Honey run around like headless chooks and get in the way a lot.

If Carlton had just two more forward options that would take a lot of pressure off Curnow and McKay making space and not being 3 on 1 all the time which would improve the midfields kicking efficiency as the long bomb down the line wouldn't be the only option.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 1452 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:24 pm

Brad Scott would’ve absolutely loved seeing McKay and Curnow both flying for the same marks on the Wing at times. They can take them up there all day every day.
Cripps having 1 kick in the second half and Walsh getting meaningless touches doesn’t help either though.
Our list isn’t great but I can at least see what we are trying to do with them and we have a clear game plan which doesn’t always come off but I’d much rather that than the garbage that Carlton are putting up
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:29 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
whufc wrote:

Thats the one.....

They provide zero offensive pressure also, Motlop Durdin Owies Honey run around like headless chooks and get in the way a lot.

If Carlton had just two more forward options that would take a lot of pressure off Curnow and McKay making space and not being 3 on 1 all the time which would improve the midfields kicking efficiency as the long bomb down the line wouldn't be the only option.

Yeah agree offensively they are all panic merchants. Whether it's a lack of voice down there or just those blokes have no composure they shit the bed every time they get the ball.

Inside 50 efficiency
Melbourne 48%
Carlton 41%

Essendon 56%
Carlton 50%
(Carlton had 15 more inside 50's, just so inefficient)

Then throw in tackles inside forward 50

Melbourne 6
Carlton 4

Essendon 19
Carlton 7

So essentially they are not efficient going inside 50 and they have stuff all defensive pressure in there.....not a great combo.
whufc
Coach

Postby DOC » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:38 pm

amber_fluid wrote:For me it’s our senior players letting us down.
Cripps is clearly injured but if he chooses to play he has to lead from the front not when he feels like it.
Whilst I admire and respect everything Docherty has been through I don’t think he’s a good leader either.
Goes missing when we need him.
Weitering is struggling this year, I’m assuming his personal issues are dragging him down or he’s carried the back lines for too long now.
McGovern is a senior player and needs to play like one and not pick and choice when he goes for a ball.
Kennedy and Hewitt are too inconsistent.
TDK isn’t half as good as the media make out he is.
SOS is lost and has no position each week but they continue to play him to fill gaps.
Curnow and McKay can’t kick for shit!

We’ve tried everything but sacking Voss isn’t the answer.

I don't think I'm on my own here. Think you have this one wrong.

Incisive, forward thinking and reads the game beautifully. Very accurate as well. Also shows a lot of respect which makes him a leader which is commendable given the relative ages of those around him. Deserves to be kept.

One of the best posters this site has ever had!
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 736 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:14 pm

DOC wrote:
Cripps is clearly injured but if he chooses to play he has to lead from the front not when he feels like it.
Whilst I admire and respect everything Docherty has been through I don’t think he’s a good leader either.
Weitering is struggling this year, I’m assuming his personal issues are dragging him down or he’s carried the back lines for too long now.
McGovern is a senior player and needs to play like one and not pick and choice when he goes for a ball.
SOS is lost and has no position each week but they continue to play him to fill gaps.

Incisive, forward thinking and reads the game beautifully. Very accurate as well. Also shows a lot of respect which makes him a leader which is commendable given the relative ages of those around him. Deserves to be kept.

Thanks DOC, love you too. [emoji3590]
I agree with the sentiments of the Carlton supporters on here about the current state of their club and you'd think all Carlton supporters would feel similar.
I hope they don't sack Voss, can't keep sacking the coach and expecting their fortunes to rapidly turn around. The Blues are just not good enough and have been a basket case for the large majority of my life. The club has clearly never got over the mismanagement in the mid to late 90s, for evidence of that I've referred to John Elliott's Open Mike where he avoided all responsibility when questioned by Sheenan about that period. His attitude seems like it's engrained in the club, the 'Carlton Curse' right?

PS. Everytime I see/hear De Koning referred to as TDK I immediately think of him as the DC comic book character The Detachable Kid, TDK for short.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10367 times
Been liked: 1523 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:23 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
DOC wrote:

Thanks DOC, love you too. [emoji3590]
I agree with the sentiments of the Carlton supporters on here about the current state of their club and you'd think all Carlton supporters would feel similar.
I hope they don't sack Voss, can't keep sacking the coach and expecting their fortunes to rapidly turn around. The Blues are just not good enough and have been a basket case for the large majority of my life. The club has clearly never got over the mismanagement in the mid to late 90s, for evidence of that I've referred to John Elliott's Open Mike where he avoided all responsibility when questioned by Sheenan about that period. His attitude seems like it's engrained in the club, the 'Carlton Curse' right?

PS. Everytime I see/hear De Koning referred to as TDK I immediately think of him as the DC comic book character The Detachable Kid, TDK for short.

I disagree with the slamming of Elliot. They weren’t the only ones throwing cash around everywhere in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s and that’s why the VFL was financially rooted and needed to go National. Carlton had a social club off field that was the envy of the entire AFL and that gave them a culture that you wanted to be a part of. The treatment of Elliot and co in the end could have been managed so much better and that ripped the heart and soul out of the club and what made it successful. Like it or not, Elliot was the Carlton Football Club and there really hasn’t been a figure there that demands consistent success in an inclusive environment for a long time and still there is internal bickering - That hasn’t stopped for close to 20 years. That’s come from the lips of some pretty influential Carlton people.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:50 am

Everytime I hear of TDK I think of this personally but that's cos of my age. Anyway, I digress.

TDK.JPG
TDK.JPG (95.72 KiB) Viewed 1599 times

We kick goals, we win most of those games of footy. We crumb in the forward line, we win those games of footy. Whilst I was impressed with Ash Hansen in the way he speaks, I have zero regard for his coaching prowess today, as our forward line is as dysfunctional as Melbourne's in 2019, prior to winning the flag.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby locky801 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:16 pm

whufc wrote:
Between Motlop, Owies, Martin they landed 3 tackles.

I dont see an issue here, isnt this the way the AFL powers to be want the game played, no tackles ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3731 times
Been liked: 1176 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:27 pm

locky801 wrote:
whufc wrote:

I dont see an issue here, isnt this the way the AFL powers to be want the game played, no tackles ;)

carlton are ahead of the curve :lol:
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11886 times
Been liked: 3613 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:30 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
locky801 wrote:
whufc wrote:

carlton are ahead of the curve :lol:

We always have been.
16 premierships!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2232 times
Been liked: 2525 times

Postby mal » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:33 pm

whufc wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:
whufc wrote:

Thats the one.....

Yeah agree offensively they are all panic merchants. Whether it's a lack of voice down there or just those blokes have no composure they shit the bed every time they get the ball.

Inside 50 efficiency
Melbourne 48%
Carlton 41%

Essendon 56%
Carlton 50%
(Carlton had 15 more inside 50's, just so inefficient)

Then throw in tackles inside forward 50

Melbourne 6
Carlton 4

Essendon 19
Carlton 7

So essentially they are not efficient going inside 50 and they have stuff all defensive pressure in there.....not a great combo.

6-16
6-8
6-16
7-15
8-11

33-66 CA last 5 games they have lost
If they convert more goals to points perhaps they will improve ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1164 times
Been liked: 917 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:13 am

Yeah absolutely,

Is it:

-Shots from bad areas
-Lack of composure from lack of voice etc
-Purely bad kicks of the football......this could be McKay.
-Are they taking shots from right on / just over their range. How many are rushed through from kicks falling short.
whufc
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:42 pm

FOLD
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:01 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:FOLD

You've got to know when to hold 'em
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2232 times
Been liked: 2525 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL