Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon 2014

Postby Spargo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:49 pm

tigerpie wrote: Without the drugs saga hanging over their heads this team would have been fighting for top 4 the last 2/3 years with the list they have

I've heard it all now.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:49 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:
Leigh Matthews type?

Yeah, but there is isn't too many of them floating about, although he's a bit younger than who I'd believe would fit the bill, Guy McKenna would no doubt have some unfinished business, at least he's a blue collared, hard nosed person with a professional attitude.

Trouble is we need somebody who will be in for the long haul unless we do a succession plan. Will be a 4-5 year project minimum just to get back to being competitive. Someone like a Dew, Sumich, Burns type would hopefully have that hunger. As bad as it is at the moment it wouldnt be the worst job going around, things change quickly
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:51 pm

Spargo wrote:
tigerpie wrote: Without the drugs saga hanging over their heads this team would have been fighting for top 4 the last 2/3 years with the list they have

I've heard it all now.

Hate to say it but agree with you Spargs.
Top 8 maybe but not in the top 4 mix
Jim05
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:53 pm

Plenty of support for the 'great man' who washed his hands of the 'episode' pretty much from day one and saved his arse every time a challenge to accept any responsibility for what happened was put in front of him. The Bomber fans called for his head and when it was provided apparently he is 'Essendon through and through' and 'never got the chance to be a good coach'.

What absolute crap. Have a look at the recruiting and selection and a lack of positional moves on match day. Up in the box he's up there like an Easter Island statue looking more clueless than Joe Hockey when they won the election. Sometimes he wasn't even in the box, sitting on the boundary for quite a few weeks ago leaving Mark Neeld of all people oversee the action. The players were playing for him? What bollocks. Was Carlisle playing for him? Hmmm, think again. James was 'James through and through'. Always has been.

Great player, shit coach.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:55 pm

tigerpie wrote:Interesting to see people saying he wasn't a great coach. Too close to the players, not making the hard calls etc.

I disagree. Without the drugs saga hanging over their heads this team would have been fighting for top 4 the last 2/3 years with the list they have.

As much as he bought this on himself its pretty hard seeing a champion go out this way.

Bring back Bomber!

Name the sides Essendon was better than in the last three seasons that they'd kick out. Their list is shithouse. Last year they made the eight as Adelaide, West Coast and Collingwood all fell over with injuries. They needed another three sides to have their luck to make the top four.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:00 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:
Leigh Matthews type?

Yeah, but there is isn't too many of them floating about, although he's a bit younger than who I'd believe would fit the bill, Guy McKenna would no doubt have some unfinished business, at least he's a blue collared, hard nosed person with a professional attitude.

Trouble is we need somebody who will be in for the long haul unless we do a succession plan. Will be a 4-5 year project minimum just to get back to being competitive. Someone like a Dew, Sumich, Burns type would hopefully have that hunger. As bad as it is at the moment it wouldnt be the worst job going around, things change quickly

Sumich yes, the other two are a bit young for my liking of the current situation.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:29 pm

Spargo wrote:

I've heard it all now.

Hey, we're all fighting for top 4. Just some of us are a fair way off it. Essendumb included. Although I think Tigerpie was meaning "at the end of the season". I was more thinking "after round 4".

I laugh, exactly the way I laughed at all those who tore their memberships up when Malthouse got the flick. Essendumb supporters/members must be on the same gear Hird and the players were. I saw their game on the weekend and they were horrible. Horribly bereft of a clue going forward. No idea of running out of defence, or hitting a moving target. And then they have the temerity to bronx cheer Daniher when he takes a mark. FFS, get it into him quickly!

The entire game plan smacked of Neil Craig's at Adelaide. And co-incidentally that was the last game I saw in Melbourne - Craig's last!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:42 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Plenty of support for the 'great man' who washed his hands of the 'episode' pretty much from day one and saved his arse every time a challenge to accept any responsibility for what happened was put in front of him. The Bomber fans called for his head and when it was provided apparently he is 'Essendon through and through' and 'never got the chance to be a good coach'.

What absolute crap. Have a look at the recruiting and selection and a lack of positional moves on match day. Up in the box he's up there like an Easter Island statue looking more clueless than Joe Hockey when they won the election. Sometimes he wasn't even in the box, sitting on the boundary for quite a few weeks ago leaving Mark Neeld of all people oversee the action. The players were playing for him? What bollocks. Was Carlisle playing for him? Hmmm, think again. James was 'James through and through'. Always has been.

Great player, shit coach.

regards,

REB

I'd be happy to let him continue as the coach at Windy Hill. They'd be stone motherless before long, as it is it's a long, long way back to their former glories now.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:06 pm

As a Collingwood supporter you wouldn't see me sticking up for essendon....ever.

But I would defy ANY club to perform at their best with all the rubbish been thrown at them over the last 3 years.
Again the club is guilty as hell but the players aren't. (that we know of).
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:10 pm

tigerpie wrote:As a Collingwood supporter you wouldn't see me sticking up for essendon....ever.

But I would defy ANY club to perform at their best with all the rubbish been thrown at them over the last 3 years.

The players aren't guilty of letting some dude across the road inject them in a back room with something they aren't sure of?

Fair enough.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:17 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
tigerpie wrote:As a Collingwood supporter you wouldn't see me sticking up for essendon....ever.

The players aren't guilty of letting some dude across the road inject them in a back room with something they aren't sure of?

Fair enough.

Again im not sticking up for the club.

The players were told it was all above board. You have to take that on face value as a player. If the club says take this.....its all ok and don't let anyone know or we lose our potential advantage....you take it!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:36 pm

I dont think you can blame the players in this situation. They would be sick and tired right now, you can see it written all over them.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:46 pm

On both accounts, no way in the world would I allow anyone to inject shit into me unless it was my GP and I was sick or having a tetanus shot.

The players should hang their heads in shame, but I guess it wan't their fault they got caught.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:00 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:On both accounts, no way in the world would I allow anyone to inject shit into me unless it was my GP and I was sick or having a tetanus shot.

The players should hang their heads in shame, but I guess it wan't their fault they got caught.

We dont need to start this discussion up again, but if you are 18, and someone from the club says here take this, they would just trust that - as you have said you would do with the GP
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:06 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:On both accounts, no way in the world would I allow anyone to inject shit into me unless it was my GP and I was sick or having a tetanus shot.

We dont need to start this discussion up again, but if you are 18, and someone from the club says here take this, they would just trust that - as you have said you would do with the GP

Oh come on, my GP to help me recover from illness or someone trying to pep me up.
#noexcuses.

The only one with any balls and respect for themselves for Zaharakis, to his credit he's stuck around with them.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:10 pm

Will the scars ever disappear? What parent would want their kid to get drafted there? No wonder they've had to use recycled players more than the other clubs.

Hopefully the general public can wipe the slate with the past and let the club do a clean out and a fresh start, it's ran it's race for too long and the whole process has been enough punishment.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:15 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Will the scars ever disappear? What parent would want their kid to get drafted there? No wonder they've had to use recycled players more than the other clubs.

Hopefully the general public can wipe the slate with the past and let the club do a clean out and a fresh start, it's ran it's race for too long and the whole process has been enough punishment.

I think it would be fine. The club is probably the safest club in the comp to be drafted to. The AFL have made the club implement changes in so many areas and have even appointed some of their own staff. The club is under the microscope to ensure this doesnt happen again and is being monitored constantly.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:16 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Will the scars ever disappear? What parent would want their kid to get drafted there? No wonder they've had to use recycled players more than the other clubs.

I think it would be fine. The club is probably the safest club in the comp to be drafted to. The AFL have made the club implement changes in so many areas and have even appointed some of their own staff. The club is under the microscope to ensure this doesnt happen again and is being monitored constantly.

Good to hear, my sister and my step-dad both support the Bombers and I know it's tested out their loyalty, they're probably sick of the jokes too.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Oh come on, my GP to help me recover from illness or someone trying to pep me up.
#noexcuses.

The only one with any balls and respect for themselves for Zaharakis, to his credit he's stuck around with them.

I definately feel for the players. They were told it was all above board and also that other clubs were doing it which wasnt a lie. Unfortunately the guy running the show overstepped the mark and for me not enough checks were done on him before he was employed and whilst he was employed. A quick look beforehand should of been enough to steer clear of him
Jim05
Coach

Essendon 2014

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:22 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Good to hear, my sister and my step-dad both support the Bombers and I know it's tested out their loyalty, they're probably sick of the jokes too.

Yeah has tested a lot of supporters.
The supporters in the majority have been pretty good, memberships are well up and support has in the most part been good. The jokes dont worry me in the slightest, things like that dont upset me at all
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL