Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Talk on the national game

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby valleys07 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:51 pm

I will add Benny that if we were to miss the top 4 this season and bow out in the 1st or 2nd round, that this season is nothing in comparison to 2001-03. THAT was a failure, and a massive one at that. This is a learning curve for a group that is very young and has a lot of upside and still alot of learning to do.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:14 pm

valleys07 wrote:I will add Benny that if we were to miss the top 4 this season and bow out in the 1st or 2nd round, that this season is nothing in comparison to 2001-03. THAT was a failure, and a massive one at that. This is a learning curve for a group that is very young and has a lot of upside and still alot of learning to do.

Yeah fair point. Crows later on making 3 prelims and not making a grand final was also a failure :(
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby cracka » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:42 pm

I wouldnt write Port off just yet. I reckon they will still make the top 4.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:09 am

bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:03 pm

=D> =D>

Another thing the club has simply got right.

PORT ADELAIDE was honoured last night to launch the club’s Reconciliation Action Plan aimed at building on the club’s existing range of Aboriginal community programs and initiatives.

Port Adelaide chairman David Koch officially launched the plan before 540 guests at the club’s pre-game event at the Adelaide Oval.

Mr Koch said the Reconciliation Action Plan is designed to help build better relationships between the wider Australian community and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples for the benefit of all Australians.

“As a club we see the launch of our Reconciliation Action Plan as another significant stage in our commitment to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples,” Mr Koch said.

“Already we have a number of programs in place, most notably the Aboriginal Power Cup and Aboriginal AFL Academy, which promote equality in health, education and employment for young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

“But we see our current range of programs as just a starting point. We have a strong will to do so much more.

“Port Adelaide is determined to expand on our existing community programs and play a leadership role in remote communities throughout the Central Corridor of Australia.

“These communities include the Maralinga and APY Lands who both took part in the curtain-raiser prior to our game last night.

“Our club is inspired by the many opportunities that exist to promote and respect the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and the launch of our Reconciliation Action Plan is a way of capturing and documenting our vision.”

Through Reconciliation Australia’s RAP Impact Measurement Report from September 2013, Reconciliation Australia has established that RAP organisations have:

• Employed over 25,000 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
• Purchased $81 million worth of goods and services from Supply Nation accredited businesses
• Provided $37.8 million towards education scholarships for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
• Provided $22.9 million worth of pro-bono support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations or communities

Reconciliation Australia’s survey also found that RAP employees are:

• Less prejudiced - 9 per cent of RAP employees versus 70 per cent of the general population
• More likely to trust Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples - 71 per cent of RAP employees versus 13 per cent of the general population
• More likely to be proud of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures - 77 per cent of RAP employees versus 51 per cent of the general population

Mr Koch said this data indicated that Reconciliation Action Plans are helping practical actions deliver positive change for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

“We strongly believe that through our Reconciliation Action Plan we can take a leadership role in changing attitudes and increasing the understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people’s history and culture,” Mr Koch said.

“These changes in attitudes are what drives reconciliation and demonstrates our nation’s progress toward Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

“We encourage everyone involved in the Port Adelaide football community to embrace these changes and live the intrinsic values that are the cornerstone of our Reconciliation Action Plan.”

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... ction-plan
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7506 times
Been liked: 10800 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:06 pm

Booney wrote:=D> =D>

Another thing the club has simply got right.

PORT ADELAIDE was honoured last night to launch the club’s Reconciliation Action Plan aimed at building on the club’s existing range of Aboriginal community programs and initiatives.

Port Adelaide chairman David Koch officially launched the plan before 540 guests at the club’s pre-game event at the Adelaide Oval.

Mr Koch said the Reconciliation Action Plan is designed to help build better relationships between the wider Australian community and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples for the benefit of all Australians.

“As a club we see the launch of our Reconciliation Action Plan as another significant stage in our commitment to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples,” Mr Koch said.

“Already we have a number of programs in place, most notably the Aboriginal Power Cup and Aboriginal AFL Academy, which promote equality in health, education and employment for young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

“But we see our current range of programs as just a starting point. We have a strong will to do so much more.

“Port Adelaide is determined to expand on our existing community programs and play a leadership role in remote communities throughout the Central Corridor of Australia.

“These communities include the Maralinga and APY Lands who both took part in the curtain-raiser prior to our game last night.

“Our club is inspired by the many opportunities that exist to promote and respect the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and the launch of our Reconciliation Action Plan is a way of capturing and documenting our vision.”

Through Reconciliation Australia’s RAP Impact Measurement Report from September 2013, Reconciliation Australia has established that RAP organisations have:

• Employed over 25,000 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
• Purchased $81 million worth of goods and services from Supply Nation accredited businesses
• Provided $37.8 million towards education scholarships for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
• Provided $22.9 million worth of pro-bono support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations or communities

Reconciliation Australia’s survey also found that RAP employees are:

• Less prejudiced - 9 per cent of RAP employees versus 70 per cent of the general population
• More likely to trust Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples - 71 per cent of RAP employees versus 13 per cent of the general population
• More likely to be proud of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures - 77 per cent of RAP employees versus 51 per cent of the general population

Mr Koch said this data indicated that Reconciliation Action Plans are helping practical actions deliver positive change for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

“We strongly believe that through our Reconciliation Action Plan we can take a leadership role in changing attitudes and increasing the understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people’s history and culture,” Mr Koch said.

“These changes in attitudes are what drives reconciliation and demonstrates our nation’s progress toward Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

“We encourage everyone involved in the Port Adelaide football community to embrace these changes and live the intrinsic values that are the cornerstone of our Reconciliation Action Plan.”

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... ction-plan

This is why Port are bridging the gap on the crows in the state.

If that was proposed to Trigg the first question would be

"And how much profit are we set to make from this"
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5600 times
Been liked: 2534 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:31 pm

whufc wrote:This is why Port are bridging the gap on the crows in the state.

If that was proposed to Trigg the first question would be

"And how much profit are we set to make from this"

well just to be fair, andrew mcleod has been involved with a crows sponsored aboriginal program in the APY lands for a couple of years now.

http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.p ... 1000048984

maybe just congratulate port on what they are doing rather than trying to get a cheap shot in
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:23 am

Hows things going off field for the Power? Kochie and Thomas are apparently going great guns???

Can see the excuses starting now....SMA are ripping us off just like the SANFL with Adelaide Oval....of course despite Port agreeing and signing the contract.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/i ... zt3a3.html
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2329 times
Been liked: 3541 times

Postby Fricky » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:49 am

Dutchy wrote:Hows things going off field for the Power? Kochie and Thomas are apparently going great guns???

Can see the excuses starting now....SMA are ripping us off just like the SANFL with Adelaide Oval....of course despite Port agreeing and signing the contract.

Crowds are way in front on what they forecasted for this year and are bigger than they have been for a decade, they have 10K+ more members this year than last year and they have increased their sponsors. I would say things are going pretty well off the field for Port.

The deal with Adelaide Oval will get changed as its effecting both clubs. You also have to take into account that Port have increased their off field expenditure (coaching staff, facilities etc) as well which will affect their bottom line intially.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:55 am

something isnt right. i hope it gets sorted out with the review. both the clubs and the SMA should be rolling in cash given the crowds
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:31 am

Dutchy wrote:Hows things going off field for the Power? Kochie and Thomas are apparently going great guns???

I'll assume for one moment you read the article.

Where it notes pressure was applied to Port's board to remove Thomas as his continual questioning and challenging of the stadium deal began to get under the skin of SMA / SANFL officials is even more reason to keep the man in charge. So to answer your question, in some regards, yes, Port Adelaide is doing very well off field.

It has also emerged that Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas was under pressure through 2013 to retain his job so fierce was the animosity from the SANFL - which then still held the licences of both the Power and the Crows - as Thomas continually challenged aspects of the Adelaide Oval contract.

The Power board was being pressured by the some key SANFL players to remove Thomas despite his strong relationship with the AFL, successful football appointments............

So for the first time in a while Port have a man in charge who stands up for his club.

Then it seems both clubs, although unhappy with the deal, reluctantly signed into the agreement on the eve of the AFL season. Now I know the knockers out there, like Dutchy, will say why, why sign into something you are not happy with?

Can you imagine those same knockers if the two clubs had not signed the agreement and Adelaide Oval was either laying unused or the clubs were forced to play at Footy Park this year without any agreement in place.

Signed at the 11th hour in March 2014, both clubs only agreed to terms on the condition of a mid-season review of the agreement, which will start on July 18. Adelaide and Port Adelaide remain disenchanted at the financial model and concerned the agreement was reached in haste with the AFL determined to complete the deal on the eve of the season.

Seems as though Andy D would have made life very difficult for both clubs if his biggest achievement in his time in charge went unfulfilled as he wandered off out of the job.

So let's all take a deep breathe, wait for the review which will clearly have the AFL pushing for a better deal along with the clubs and then see where we go from there.

So Dutchy, it seems Port and more so Thomas and Koch did what they could to improve the deal but succumbed to the pressure of the agreement deadline and signed on with the premise of a review midyear to establish what future direction the deal takes.

Thomas is doing an excellent job and so too is Koch.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:06 pm

aahhhh, so Keith Thomas is the Clive Palmer of the AFL.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11874 times
Been liked: 3609 times

Postby RustyCage » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:26 pm

bennymacca wrote:something isnt right. i hope it gets sorted out with the review. both the clubs and the SMA should be rolling in cash given the crowds

Don't tell dutchy that, it's all ports fault according to him.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby RustyCage » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:27 pm

Booney wrote:

I'll assume for one moment you read the article.

Where it notes pressure was applied to Port's board to remove Thomas as his continual questioning and challenging of the stadium deal began to get under the skin of SMA / SANFL officials is even more reason to keep the man in charge. So to answer your question, in some regards, yes, Port Adelaide is doing very well off field.

It has also emerged that Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas was under pressure through 2013 to retain his job so fierce was the animosity from the SANFL - which then still held the licences of both the Power and the Crows - as Thomas continually challenged aspects of the Adelaide Oval contract.

The Power board was being pressured by the some key SANFL players to remove Thomas despite his strong relationship with the AFL, successful football appointments............

So for the first time in a while Port have a man in charge who stands up for his club.

Then it seems both clubs, although unhappy with the deal, reluctantly signed into the agreement on the eve of the AFL season. Now I know the knockers out there, like Dutchy, will say why, why sign into something you are not happy with?

Can you imagine those same knockers if the two clubs had not signed the agreement and Adelaide Oval was either laying unused or the clubs were forced to play at Footy Park this year without any agreement in place.

Signed at the 11th hour in March 2014, both clubs only agreed to terms on the condition of a mid-season review of the agreement, which will start on July 18. Adelaide and Port Adelaide remain disenchanted at the financial model and concerned the agreement was reached in haste with the AFL determined to complete the deal on the eve of the season.

Seems as though Andy D would have made life very difficult for both clubs if his biggest achievement in his time in charge went unfulfilled as he wandered off out of the job.

So let's all take a deep breathe, wait for the review which will clearly have the AFL pushing for a better deal along with the clubs and then see where we go from there.

So Dutchy, it seems Port and more so Thomas and Koch did what they could to improve the deal but succumbed to the pressure of the agreement deadline and signed on with the premise of a review midyear to establish what future direction the deal takes.

Thomas is doing an excellent job and so too is Koch.

Reading the article and letting a dislike of Port cloud judgement in every port related post are two separate things
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:52 pm

Geez Dutchy has a hard on for the Power LOL. Anyone would think Port have won the odd Grand Final against Glenelg......

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:03 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Geez Dutchy has a hard on for the Power LOL. Anyone would think Port have won the odd Grand Final against Glenelg......

regards,

REB

Nup, it was the even ones. 88,90,92... :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:06 pm

I just get sick of people making excuses for something they can control, Port have made a national sport of that in recent years and honestly thought they had turned it around under the current regime.

There are no longer any valid reasons for the club to not being making money or a profit, they have the crowds, members, the stadium they wanted and the on field results.

The article surprised me, maybe there is no truth in it, but even if there is a small part of it that is correct it must concern Port members.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:10 pm

To summarise, the club signed a deal it wasn't completely happy with at the last minute under pressure from AFL house, SMA and SANFL.

Any pressure from AFL house is taken pretty seriously and there was no chance either Port or Adelaide were not going to sign on, so in that respect the SMA/SANFL had both clubs by the balls, especially with the licence sale imminent.

So, you tell me how Port could "control" that?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:20 pm

Why was it done "last minute"? The stadium has just popped up...why wait until July to review? if AFL was placing pressure on why not get guarantees from them?

At the end of the day they signed the agreement and have to take responsibility for that.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:20 pm

Booney wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Geez Dutchy has a hard on for the Power LOL. Anyone would think Port have won the odd Grand Final against Glenelg......

regards,

REB

Nup, it was the even ones. 88,90,92... :lol:

34? 8)
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1217 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext