Demetriou on the couch

Talk on the national game

Demetriou on the couch

Postby am Bays » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:37 pm

Lst night on Fox Footy's On the Couch Demetriou intimated that the competition over the next 10 years could expand to 18 teams to cover the population growth areas of Western Sydney and South East Queensland (Gold Coast)

What do people think expand or relocate Melbourne teams. One way of saving face in melbourne and not relocating teams such as North Melbourne etc.

Gerald Healy asked the pointed question what about the expanding SE suburbs of Melbourne? relocate a team down there.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Punk Rooster » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:47 pm

Why, has Warnie got to him to??? :lol:
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Re: Demetriou on the couch

Postby drebin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:06 pm

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:Lst night on Fox Footy's On the Couch Demetriou intimated that the competition over the next 10 years could expand to 18 teams to cover the population growth areas of Western Sydney and South East Queensland (Gold Coast)

What do people think expand or relocate Melbourne teams. One way of saving face in melbourne and not relocating teams such as North Melbourne etc.

Gerald Healy asked the pointed question what about the expanding SE suburbs of Melbourne? relocate a team down there.

RE expansion to the SE of Melb - isn't that why Hawthorn have move out Waverley - to cash in on that area?
and the AFL can't be serious thinking an 18 team comp would be viable?
drebin

Re: Demetriou on the couch

Postby stan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:11 pm

drebin wrote:
1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:Lst night on Fox Footy's On the Couch Demetriou intimated that the competition over the next 10 years could expand to 18 teams to cover the population growth areas of Western Sydney and South East Queensland (Gold Coast)

RE expansion to the SE of Melb - isn't that why Hawthorn have move out Waverley - to cash in on that area?
and the AFL can't be serious thinking an 18 team comp would be viable?

You are right there dreb, to many teams still in melbourne and will continue to struggle finanically. But they are too proud to relocate.
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby drebin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:46 pm

I can recall reading somewhere recently that Southport FC on the Gold Coast have made a bid to buy the Kanagaroos. Southport have some staggering membership 45,000 plus (most no doubt through their Socila Club) and a pokie fuelled income turnover of $200+ million a year!!! It is no wonder they lure fringe or ex AFL players up there from time to time. I wonder if there is a salary cap in the QAFL?

It would be a real worry to the SANFL if that comp got stronger and more clubs had the income of Southport - they would then certainly be able to entice the players the SANFL has been targeting since 1991. Fortunately they doen't have the history or tradition and hopefully our salary cap will rise in the next year or two to maintain our comps status. Let's hope they get the roo's then!
drebin

Postby stan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am

Yeah i posted that story on here drebin. I'll did it up for ya again.
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Magpiespower » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:01 am

Relocation is the only way to go.

Further expansion would be disastrous.

The ARL's over-expansion in the early-90s is proof of that.
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby portentous » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:21 am

Thought there were plans to relocate Brisbane back to the Gold Coast. Is that still on the cards?

Sydney is far from ready for a second side. The Swans need to grow and expand before that happens.

Demetriou is just trying to protect his Victorian support on the AFL commission by not reducing the number of Vic sides.
portentous

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:37 am

Cripes pretentous, why TF would they shift the Gorillas back to the Gold Coast? Demitrou showed on the slouch that he is a politically correct, spineless turd who doesn't dare let slip an honest opinion after his infamous 'Sydney's style of game won't win premierships' sledge of last year.

When asked who was going to win the premiership, you could see his slow moving brain compute the data inputed into it before saying 'West Coast Eagles'..a more PC answer you could not provide. Then he remembered that most of the media is Victorian before plumping for Hodge for the brownlow.

Just two questions dip5hit...

1. Who is going to kick the goals for the smooth criminals?

2. How TF is Hodge going to poll enough votes to win Charlie with the Hawkers lucky to win six games tops? *REB gets ready for another MatteeeeeeeeeeeeeeG graphic* :lol:

Could we please have someone in the top job who is just a little bit more competent? Fargen idiot!!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby JK » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:11 am

Adrian Anderson?? :lol:
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby dinglinga » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Funniest thing i heard when Andrew "Dimwit"demetriou was when gerald asked about the three AFL players

who have been found positive to drugs... AD stated "i dont know who they are"" but all the hosts replied well we do and mike sheean was adament about it. AD looked puzzled and still stated "i know nothing!!!"
dinglinga
League - Best 21

Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:27 pm

dinglinga wrote:Funniest thing i heard when Andrew "Dimwit"demetriou was when gerald asked about the three AFL players

who have been found positive to drugs... AD stated "i dont know who they are"" but all the hosts replied well we do and mike sheean was adament about it. AD looked puzzled and still stated "i know nothing!!!"

Well he's got my vote.

regards,

REB

ps - that wasn't funny Permstance!
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby portentous » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:22 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Cripes pretentous, why TF would they shift the Gorillas back to the Gold Coast? Demitrou showed on the slouch that he is a politically correct, spineless turd who doesn't dare let slip an honest opinion after his infamous 'Sydney's style of game won't win premierships' sledge of last year.

Could we please have someone in the top job who is just a little bit more competent? Fargen idiot!!

regards,

REB

Just what I heard-more games for Carrara 'tis all,

and they COULD have had Brian Cunningham running the show by now. Keystone cops run AFL house instead..... :evil:
portentous

Postby Punk Rooster » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:31 pm

It was an absolute travesty that Brian Cunningham was overlooked for the job. The 2 clowns runnning it now will only kick a few goals by accident (ie TV rights deal)

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Postby Macca19 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:51 pm

drebin wrote:I can recall reading somewhere recently that Southport FC on the Gold Coast have made a bid to buy the Kanagaroos. Southport have some staggering membership 45,000 plus (most no doubt through their Socila Club) and a pokie fuelled income turnover of $200+ million a year!!!

Southport is more like a country club than a football club. Membership, going by their membership form on their website, is free (I know it used to cost $2) and asks some great football related questions such as your wine and beer preference. You go onto their website and its all to do with functions and entertainment. Their club rooms have 3 bars and 3 restaurants.

I dare say that if membership cost a normal amount then their membreship level would be a small percentage of what it is now.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby MatteeG » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:05 pm

LOL REB.

No Graphic this time, but 6 x 3 = 18 votes, all he needs is a couple of 2s and 1s and he is Home!!

I like Sam Mitchell for the Brownlow personally... or one of your clowns Joel Corey.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:27 pm

Punk Rooster wrote:It was an absolute travesty that Brian Cunningham was overlooked for the job. The 2 clowns runnning it now will only kick a few goals by accident (ie TV rights deal)

Like someone said on FootySA a couple of months back, there was no way there was going to be two South Australians in a row in the top job.
It's bad enough that Demetriou has the top job, heaven help us if mini-me Anderson ever gets the job.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby Gilly » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:26 pm

dinglinga wrote:Funniest thing i heard when Andrew "Dimwit"demetriou was when gerald asked about the three AFL players

That was the most ridiculous thing he could have said at that time. I couldn't believe my ears. ANYONE who has anything to do with footy knows the names, but to say "I don't know" was pure folly. It would of been more credible for him to say "no comment" or "I'm aware of speculation" etc etc but to say he doesn't know.....c'mon.
Gilly
Rookie

Postby Punk Rooster » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:25 pm

Gilly wrote:

That was the most ridiculous thing he could have said at that time. I couldn't believe my ears. ANYONE who has anything to do with footy knows the names, but to say "I don't know" was pure folly. It would of been more credible for him to say "no comment" or "I'm aware of speculation" etc etc but to say he doesn't know.....c'mon.
Demetriou was raising the bat*, to let it go through to the keeper, but it cleaned bowled him.

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Board index   Football  AFL