Pickett speaks again.

Talk on the national game

Pickett speaks again.

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:15 am

From the weekend Herald Sun:

MELBOURNE'S new wrecking ball Byron Pickett has vowed not to change his brutal style of play, despite the attention he received last year from the AFL tribunal.

Pickett was accused of being almost unemployable by his former coach Mark Williams last year, after he was suspended for a total of eight games after rough conduct incidents involving Adelaide's James Begley and Carlton's Simon Wiggins.
The Demon, 28, might have a 50 per cent tribunal loading on any further suspensions, but that will not make him take a backward step for his new club.

"I am not changing my game," he said. "I won't change it for anyone. I think if I change my game I probably wouldn't be the same player as I am today, so there's no point.

"I think if you asked Browny (Jonathan Brown) if he would change his game, he's not going to change it. Barry Hall is not going to change his game. It's just natural footy, you play your natural style of game, and that's how you become a good player. Play your own game."

Pickett is still furious he was the scapegoat for the AFL's tribunal changes last year, rubbed out for six matches for rough conduct in the first case of the season.

He was forced to watch from the sidelines as a swag of similar incidents were either ignored or lesser penalties handed out.

"I have always done it (hit players) within the rules," he said. "The first one against the Crows was a bit unlucky. I can't help it if (Begley) fumbled. And he saw me coming. It looked worse than it really was.

"After I did it, a couple of boys got off later (for the same type of incidents). That is another thing that was frustrating, but oh well.

"Maybe (the AFL) were waiting for me to do something and get me good. I have never been a fan of the tribunal. I never have. I don't think anyone has."

Pickett walked out of Port Adelaide after three years when the club offered him a performance-based contract, but he is determined to play on at Melbourne for up to five years.

Melbourne coach Neale Daniher said he expected to see Pickett's uncompromising style but also the attacking play that won him the Norm Smith Medal in 2004.

"He know he doesn't need to be that hit-man for us. If he just attacks the ball like he normally does, that is hard enough," Daniher said.

"I will be encouraging him to play with flair, and with the Aboriginal magic I know he has got, just showing the general football public what a good player he is and why he won a Norm Smith Medal."

Pickett said while he had enjoyed his time at Port Adelaide he was determined not to sell himself short to a Power outfit looking to jettison older players.

"I was just keen to get the same as what I was, or a little bit more, but they obviously offered me less than what I thought I was worth, so I went for the better offer, and hopefully it's the right one," he said.

"I have settled in well. All the boys are good and the coaches are good. All the boys have made it easy for me and having played against a couple of the older guys over the years, that also makes it easier. There are a couple of brothers here as well. I played with Shannon Motlop at the Kangaroos."

Interesting to see if Fuhrer Dimetriou and co. ask for a "please explain?".
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Magpiespower » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:17 am

Has every reason to feel dirty for getting six weeks for the clash with Begley.

Has no reason to feel dirty about being offered a performance based contract by Port.
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:38 pm

If Julian Clary joined the Demons he would be hard enough to be their 'new wrecking ball'.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby stan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:49 pm

Come on, well all know at that stage the tribunal system was a bit screwed, takes a while to work out the kinks, and it dosent matter who gets flattened along the way.
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby am Bays » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:48 pm

I thought Wilson Picket died two weeks again, must be coming frome the grave.........in the midnight hour....... :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby GWW » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:33 pm

Poor Byron, i didnt even know he had larynghitis. Im sure Neale Daniher would be very glad his new recruit has got his voice back for the beginning of the season.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby BubblesOfBlue » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:00 pm

Like it or not hits like the Begley bump are soon to be a thing of the past, that bump in particular would have pissed me off if I was a Power supporter cos Byron could have turned to his right and possibly come away with the footy and not a six week holiday
BubblesOfBlue
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby stan » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:50 pm

The tribunal system was 5hite last season it really was. im not a Power fan but christ when Byron got a week for the bump against Carton in the later part of the year it pissed me off. It was so soft, that even melbourne based media people were disgusted. Its simple the AFL wants a pansey poofter game like soccor.
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:36 am

GWW wrote:Poor Byron, i didnt even know he had larynghitis. Im sure Neale Daniher would be very glad his new recruit has got his voice back for the beginning of the season.

If I was with the Poower boys I'd get larynghitis as well. Who wants to shout that lot?

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:24 am

Rik E Boy wrote:
GWW wrote:Poor Byron, i didnt even know he had larynghitis. Im sure Neale Daniher would be very glad his new recruit has got his voice back for the beginning of the season.

If I was with the Poower boys I'd get larynghitis as well. Who wants to shout that lot?

regards,

REB

Must have a sore throat from singing the song so often over the past 5 years.No worries now he's under Daniher,wins wont come along quite so often.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:36 pm

Didn't get to sing too much last year Boonmiester. And the Power don't sing as loudly at AAMI as they would interstate.....

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby blink » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:11 pm

Neither do Geelong at Shell....
blink
League - Best 21

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:52 am

blink wrote:Neither do Geelong at Shell....

We've lost one game in the past two years at Cat Park genie ar5e. :finga:

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby blink » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:07 am

Exactly my point REB, if Geelong won interstate I am sure that they would sing a lot louder than they would after a win at Shell, which like you said, is almost a certainty everytime that they play there.

What is the Cats win/loss ratio interstate for the last two years?
blink
League - Best 21

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:00 pm

About the reverse of our record at Cat Park :cry:

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby blink » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:21 pm

I am tipping them to turn that around this year!
blink
League - Best 21

Postby Blue Boy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:45 pm

If he looks at ther ball and plays it he will be fine
Blue Boy
Veteran

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Board index   Football  AFL