Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:22 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Booney wrote:RILEY BONNER has been rewarded for his outstanding performance against Fremantle in the season-opener, with the Round 1 NAB Rising Star nomination.

Bonner collected 31 disposals in a best-on-ground performance against the Dockers, in Port Adelaide’s 50-point victory at Adelaide Oval on Saturday evening.

Port selected the silky left-footer with their first pick in the 2015 National Draft – pick 37 overall.

The 21-year-old made his debut against Gold Coast in Round 23, 2016 and then only managed three senior games last season.

But a big pre-season and strong performances in the JLT Community Series saw him named in the back pocket to face the Dockers.

He had a career-high 21 kicks, 10 handballs, 9 contested possessions at a disposal efficiency of 80.6 per cent.

Bonner is the club's second consecutive round 1 rising star nominee, after Sam Powell-Pepper was nominated against Sydney in 2017.

I think you blokes have got another ripper there Boon.

Me too, he's got some real poise.

We're currently stocked with half backs/back pockets, Pittard, Broadbent, Hartlett, DBJ, Houston, Bonner, McKenzie, Toumpas.

Hartlett, Bonner and Pittard play the attacking roles and DBJ our shutdown, going to be hard for Broadbent to get back into the side and he might find himself on the trade table. About to turn 27 he could be a tradable player at the end of the year as the 4 mentioned above and Houston aren't going anywhere.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10818 times

Postby morell » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:31 pm

Booney wrote:RILEY BONNER has been rewarded for his outstanding performance against Fremantle in the season-opener, with the Round 1 NAB Rising Star nomination.

Bonner collected 31 disposals in a best-on-ground performance against the Dockers, in Port Adelaide’s 50-point victory at Adelaide Oval on Saturday evening.

Port selected the silky left-footer with their first pick in the 2015 National Draft – pick 37 overall.

The 21-year-old made his debut against Gold Coast in Round 23, 2016 and then only managed three senior games last season.

But a big pre-season and strong performances in the JLT Community Series saw him named in the back pocket to face the Dockers.

He had a career-high 21 kicks, 10 handballs, 9 contested possessions at a disposal efficiency of 80.6 per cent.

Bonner is the club's second consecutive round 1 rising star nominee, after Sam Powell-Pepper was nominated against Sydney in 2017.
Wasn't there some Westies bell end on here that was trying to tell everyone he was no good a while back?
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Corona Man » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:38 pm

morell wrote:

Wasn't there some Westies bell end on here that was trying to tell everyone he was no good a while back?

But just like Burton last year..... he is just a back flanker.... right - :lol:
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Brodlach » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:11 pm

Don’t think anyone at Westies would question Bonners ability
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:17 pm

I feel for Paddy, I had tendonitis for months and the only way it got fixed was by completely tearing it after two severe strains.
Geelong win games without a ruckman, I'm sure Port will be able to do the same and be right up there.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Brodlach wrote:Don’t think anyone at Westies would question Bonners ability

Thanks mate.

Oh, you said "Bonner".

Never mind....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:20 pm

Booney wrote:We're currently stocked with half backs/back pockets, Pittard, Broadbent, Hartlett, DBJ, Houston, Bonner, McKenzie, Toumpas.

Hartlett, Bonner and Pittard play the attacking roles and DBJ our shutdown, going to be hard for Broadbent to get back into the side and he might find himself on the trade table. About to turn 27 he could be a tradable player at the end of the year as the 4 mentioned above and Houston aren't going anywhere.

You think perhaps hard for Pittard to force his way back in also?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4039 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:28 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:We're currently stocked with half backs/back pockets, Pittard, Broadbent, Hartlett, DBJ, Houston, Bonner, McKenzie, Toumpas.

Youd think he would be straight back in didnt they just sign him for 18 years
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1664 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:30 pm

The Bedge wrote:

No, I don't think so. I think there's room back there for DBJ in shutdown, Hartlett, Pittard and Bonner with Howard, Clurey and Jonas.

Most sides play a 7 man back line from go to whoa now, it's up to one of them to really play as a midfielder behind the ball and that's either Hartlett or Bonner for mine, they're the two best ball users. One of them stays back with Pittard and DBJ, the two best small stoppers, and they are at home with the 3 big men as the "6" we all see as a traditional back line. If Hartlett or Bonner can follow the ball forward that's what we'd like I reckon.

This week I think :

In - R.Gray, Frampton
Out - Ryder (inj), Polec (inj)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:32 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Youd think he would be straight back in didnt they just sign him for 18 years

3 years, 2018 is the first of that 3 year deal after he was out of contract at the end of last year.

Which really is quote a long deal, isn't it, wise guy? 8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:23 pm

Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

No, I don't think so. I think there's room back there for DBJ in shutdown, Hartlett, Pittard and Bonner with Howard, Clurey and Jonas.

Most sides play a 7 man back line from go to whoa now, it's up to one of them to really play as a midfielder behind the ball and that's either Hartlett or Bonner for mine, they're the two best ball users. One of them stays back with Pittard and DBJ, the two best small stoppers, and they are at home with the 3 big men as the "6" we all see as a traditional back line. If Hartlett or Bonner can follow the ball forward that's what we'd like I reckon.

This week I think :

In - R.Gray, Frampton
Out - Ryder (inj), Polec (inj)

I really want Frampton in the side this week, but it is concerning for him that Ladhams was named ahead of him for JLT1, and he has barely rated a mention during the off season.

I think we will see R.Gray for Ryder, McKenzie for Polly if he doesn't come up. *Insert player over 196cm here* to share the ruck duties.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:25 pm

I agree, perhaps JLT1 was more about giving Ladhams some exposure to the top level and not so much about him being ahead of Frampton?

I can't see them taking Westhoff / Howard from their current roles to replace Ryder.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:28 pm

Booney wrote:

Thanks mate.

Oh, you said "Bonner".

Never mind....

Your ability is always in question ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:39 pm

Will we get in depth Booney reviews or previews this year?

Otherwise i'm cancelling my subscription.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4039 times

Postby morell » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:09 pm

Sorry, I meant *Glenelg* bell end, my mistake, all you SNAFU people kind of meld into one over time.

Dutchy wrote:If Bonner is in your best 22 you are in trouble.
morell
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:18 pm

morell wrote:

Sorry, I meant *Glenelg* bell end, my mistake, all you SNAFU people kind of meld into one over time.

Good lord, how long did it take you to trawl that one up?
Like a moth to a flame :lol:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5530 times
Been liked: 5161 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby morell » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:12 pm

Spargo wrote:
morell wrote:

Good lord, how long did it take you to trawl that one up?
Like a moth to a flame :lol:

I am able to use a computer, so about 30 seconds.
morell
Coach

Postby carey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:55 pm

Booney wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

I think you blokes have got another ripper there Boon.

Me too, he's got some real poise.

We're currently stocked with half backs/back pockets, Pittard, Broadbent, Hartlett, DBJ, Houston, Bonner, McKenzie, Toumpas.

Boon, please don’t ever mention Toumpas name ever again unless it on a delisted players name list.

Thank you 8)
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:43 am

The Bedge wrote:Will we get in depth Booney reviews or previews this year?

Otherwise i'm cancelling my subscription.

Port v Fremantle

The first 15 minutes looked very much like the two sides needed some genuine contests to dust off the pre season cobwebs and attack the ball with the type of intent required to secure 4 points at the end of the day. Big Sandilands was getting his hand to the ball first ( well, it was up in the air ) and Fyfe, Neale and Walters all took turns in despatching the ball forward of centre, the Dockers had the first couple of chances to put scoreboard pressure on only to miss, Watts flushed the post with one from a tight angle before posting his first goal in the Port Adelaide jumper at around the 15 minute mark of the first quarter. It was all Port from here bar a 3 goal run from Fremantle in the 2nd quarter.

4 goals to 1 in the first quarter with Motlop also bagging his first for his new club. For Port Dooooougal Howard was getting a hand into every aerial contest, Boak in his new/now customary role across half forward was offering an option to the mids bringing the ball forward and slotted truly from the pocket to be an influential players in the first quarter. Port’s dominance was all over the ground at ¼ time, more tackles, more possessions, more I50’s. The writing was on the wall.

The second quarter started in Ports favour once more, Sammy Gray, Ryder, SPP and Rockliff all joined in the goal kicking and Port got out to a 40 point lead. As mentioned above Fremantle bagged 3 in a row to Taberner, Matera and Sandilands to bring it back to 21 points at the main break. This is where we first noticed Ryder showing some discomfort as he left the field for the half time break, he rejoined briefly in the 3rd quarter before leaving the ground.

The first half saw Westhoff in everything back, mid and forward, Wingard lurking in the F50, Boak creating a presence and forward pressure and Howard and Bonner had control down back. Port’s defensive pressure created 23 turnovers in the first half and most pleasing was this resulted in 7 of the 8 first half goals. Exactly the way we want to play, pressure the ball, move it quickly forward and capitalise on that movement. Well, who doesn’t?

Todd Marshall kicked off the 2nd half like it was his own, 2 goals in 2 minutes and goals to Watts, Wingard, Motlop and another to Marshall was Port pile on 6 for the quarter. Port were dominant in the air inside the forward 50, 16 marks I50 up until ¾ time and a 46 point lead into the last break had the points in the bag for Port.

At this stage I was getting infused with free beers and the last quarter was a little bit of a swim through for me so it was bottoms up and I didn’t take much out of the last ¼ from a review point. I do know we enjoyed plenty of uncontested ball in the last half as the back half took control and the midfield enjoyed some space.

Boons best : Westhoff, Boak, Bonner, Watts, Howard, Marshall, Wines
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:17 am

EFA

Booneys best: Stella’s , hotdogs, 5AA, Uber and Freo Dockers song
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL