Crows 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2016

Postby stan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Will Thompson go around again next year?

At a guess I would say so. Jenkins I cant see going anywhere as Adelaide look on the cusp of some sucess.

If you have the space a Neale doesnt sign on with Freo then of course the crows should go for him.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:24 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Grahaml wrote:Not sure Thompson would be taking up much cap space. He's a veteran so only part of what he's paid counts (unless that rule has changed). The cap space we kept for Dangerfield in case he stayed put could get eaten up by keeping some of these blokes but there should still be wriggle room to throwa decent offer at someone. Would love to make a play for Dustin Martin, reckon he could take us to the next level, but I think there's enough being shown by the younger guys to think we can manage with this group.

Dusty will be a tiger forever, need to make a hard push for Lachie Neale or Dyson Heppell.

I'm curious to see just how many suspended Bombers actually return to Windy Hill, I'd imagine a fair swag of them will leave.

Fair swag?
6 of the 12 already re-signed.
Might lose 2-3 tops

OK, you'd know more than I. who are the ones that haven't yet?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:41 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Grahaml wrote:Not sure Thompson would be taking up much cap space. He's a veteran so only part of what he's paid counts (unless that rule has changed). The cap space we kept for Dangerfield in case he stayed put could get eaten up by keeping some of these blokes but there should still be wriggle room to throwa decent offer at someone. Would love to make a play for Dustin Martin, reckon he could take us to the next level, but I think there's enough being shown by the younger guys to think we can manage with this group.

Dusty will be a tiger forever, need to make a hard push for Lachie Neale or Dyson Heppell.

I'm curious to see just how many suspended Bombers actually return to Windy Hill, I'd imagine a fair swag of them will leave.

Fair swag?
6 of the 12 already re-signed.
Might lose 2-3 tops

OK, you'd know more than I. who are the ones that haven't yet?

Yet to sign are Hurley, Hibberd, Howlett, Stanton, Watson and Pears.
Out of those Pears is trying to join the fire brigade, Howlett is unsure but he is from WA and both clubs apparently looking at him. Hibberd getting a lot of attention from Melbourne. Stanton and Watson will be Bombers or retire.
Hurley the key signing and people around the club think he is close to re-signing but the Crows are up to their eyeballs in him
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3567 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby hawks21 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:23 pm

Out of those Pears is trying to join the fire brigade, Howlett is unsure but he is from WA and both clubs apparently looking at him. Hibberd getting a lot of attention from Melbourne. Stanton and Watson will be Bombers or retire.
Hurley the key signing and people around the club think he is close to re-signing but the Crows are up to their eyeballs in him

Hypothetical - If the Crows are up their eye balls in Hurley like you say, I wonder if we would be willing to let Jenkins go if we were to get Hurley. Walker plays more FF, Hurley CHF, and you still have McGovern, Lynch as tall forward options.

If Jenkins stays and we were to get Hurley as well, then we would most likely look to off load/delist a tall defender (Otten/Cheney/Hartigan type)and Hurley would like CHB with Talia and Lever.

However, IMO I don’t think we will get Hurley and our first priority will be to get an outside midfielder. IMO Thompson will retire, Brad will resign with his money which still leave 1mill + in the works for any potential recruits/top up of Jenkins contract etc
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:55 pm

hawks21 wrote:

Hypothetical - If the Crows are up their eye balls in Hurley like you say, I wonder if we would be willing to let Jenkins go if we were to get Hurley. Walker plays more FF, Hurley CHF, and you still have McGovern, Lynch as tall forward options.

If Jenkins stays and we were to get Hurley as well, then we would most likely look to off load/delist a tall defender (Otten/Cheney/Hartigan type)and Hurley would like CHB with Talia and Lever.

However, IMO I don’t think we will get Hurley and our first priority will be to get an outside midfielder. IMO Thompson will retire, Brad will resign with his money which still leave 1mill + in the works for any potential recruits/top up of Jenkins contract etc

Hurley doesn't want to play forward and his asking price is fairly steep, not sure the Crows could fit him and Jenkins in but they have made several enquiries to atleast see. Couple of Melbourne clubs and Brisbane interested also but hoping he stays
Jim05
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:38 am

stan wrote:Will Thompson go around again next year?

At a guess I would say so. Jenkins I cant see going anywhere as Adelaide look on the cusp of some sucess.

If you have the space a Neale doesnt sign on with Freo then of course the crows should go for him.

prospects of success cant be ignored imo - especially if you are comparing the crows with Brisbane or Freo - they look pretty unattractive destinations at the moment.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby stan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:02 pm

bennymacca wrote:

prospects of success cant be ignored imo - especially if you are comparing the crows with Brisbane or Freo - they look pretty unattractive destinations at the moment.

Absolutely. Would be amazed if Jenkins went to Brisbane.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:22 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Depends what he wants from life.
$550k x 4 years at Adelaide
$1m x 4-5 years at Brisbane.
Would definitely make you think about it.
Jim05
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:25 pm

Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Depends what he wants from life.
$550k x 4 years at Adelaide
$1m x 4-5 years at Brisbane.
Would definitely make you think about it.

Plus lifestyle.
Being an unknown living in sunny Brisbane sounds far better than living under intense media scrutiny in cold winters in Adelaide.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2238 times
Been liked: 2533 times

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:41 pm

The numbers are more like 750 for Brisbane. And we would pay 650 I reckon.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:44 pm

bennymacca wrote:The numbers are more like 750 for Brisbane. And we would pay 650 I reckon.

Surely Brisbane have room in their salary cap to pay overs for a KPP.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2238 times
Been liked: 2533 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:15 pm

bennymacca wrote:The numbers are more like 750 for Brisbane. And we would pay 650 I reckon.

Nope will be closer to the mill mark. They know they have to pay overs to get someone up there and they have a ton of cap room plus this years cap space. They desperately want a big signing of a KPP and will throw the kitchen sink at them
Jim05
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:21 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Nope will be closer to the mill mark. They know they have to pay overs to get someone up there and they have a ton of cap room plus this years cap space. They desperately want a big signing of a KPP and will throw the kitchen sink at them

is that your guess or do you know something?

All the reports were for 750-800 over 5. And Jonothan Brown didnt deny it when they put it to him
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:26 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

is that your guess or do you know something?

All the reports were for 750-800 over 5. And Jonothan Brown didnt deny it when they put it to him

There was an article a few weeks ago that said he was offered $1m x 4 and all the media you hear from Melbourne suggests this aswell. Hurley and Hooker were offered the same and Connors was quoted on SEN recently saying that the Lions offer had to be overs to get players up there. They are well under the cap and can bank this years aswell so can spend big.
Jim05
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:30 pm

5 year @ 750k
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/brisban ... 1b532b0efa

"6 years 4 million plus"
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-16/m ... -up-future

5 year 4.5 million
"http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/adelaide/josh-jenkins-says-his-future-likely-to-be-decided-at-end-of-the-season/news-story/7c0fb0085a79e7259d2cca05d676f7d1"
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:35 pm

The HS is the article I saw. So $900k x 4, still a fair bit more than the $550-650 on offer from the Crows.
He is worth probably $550 tops IMO but Brisbane has to pay overs to get anyone up there.
I think he will stay but you would atleast think he is having a look
Jim05
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:49 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

Surely Brisbane have room in their salary cap to pay overs for a KPP.

First of all I am not saying this because he may be leaving but Jenkins is not a forward to build your team around. Great at running up and down the field , as he did as a basketballer, but not a leading, crash packing, high marking foward like a Kennedy, Roughead or Walker. Would struggle as the number one key forward.

No way is he worth 900k or more.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby JK » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:24 pm

Jenkins mostly plays as a bigger bodied Luke Breust type .. Would think that's only going to work optimally in a few sides
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Jim05 wrote:The HS is the article I saw. So $900k x 4, still a fair bit more than the $550-650 on offer from the Crows.
He is worth probably $550 tops IMO but Brisbane has to pay overs to get anyone up there.
I think he will stay but you would atleast think he is having a look

yeah you cant blame brisbane nor jenkins for looking at their options.

JK wrote:Jenkins mostly plays as a bigger bodied Luke Breust type .. Would think that's only going to work optimally in a few sides

Not too many athletic forwards that can also ruck going around.

As a second forward he is one of the best in the game at the moment. As has been pointed out though, reckon he might not go as well as a number 1 forward, but would still likely kick 40 goals a year, and thats still pretty rare
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:24 pm

Yeah my comment wasn't intended as a knock on him, far from it .. That primary key forward aspect you mentioned I completely agree with. Think to get the best out of him he probably has to play for the Crows, Hawks or Dogs.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL