Crows 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2015

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:47 pm

TEX07 wrote:And leading up to a Thursday night game would give a massive buzz around the club, sadly I can't see another announcement till years end and I'm not confident we will like it. Would be interesting to see Danger come out and say now he is leaving at years end, someone someday will do it during the season and break the mould IMO. I think if he wants to go and it's to Geelong, the club won't stand in his way and he would play out the year professionally IMO.

If he has made his mind up to leave I would definitely appreciate it if he came out and said that. Seems like the kind of guy that would too.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Happy Endings » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:35 pm

Taking wifey to see her beloved Crows Thursday. As a Port supporter with analytical ability I reckon this is going to be a blinder. Hoping the Crows can get a good start as Port did against Hawthorn and really get the crowd involved.

My bold predictions...,

Hawthorn by 9 points
BOG ; Sam Jacobs
Most goals ; Jack Gunston 4
Most touches ; Danger 32
First goal ; Steady Eddie
Crowd ; 50,855
Happy Endings
Rookie

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: West Gambier

Postby carey » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:18 pm

bennymacca wrote:
TEX07 wrote:And leading up to a Thursday night game would give a massive buzz around the club, sadly I can't see another announcement till years end and I'm not confident we will like it. Would be interesting to see Danger come out and say now he is leaving at years end, someone someday will do it during the season and break the mould IMO. I think if he wants to go and it's to Geelong, the club won't stand in his way and he would play out the year professionally IMO.

If he has made his mind up to leave I would definitely appreciate it if he came out and said that. Seems like the kind of guy that would too.

Bullshit he would. He'd wait till years end like every single player before him. And the longer this last history suggests his gone.

NRL players announce it straight away.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby TEX07 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:08 pm

carey wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Bullshit he would. He'd wait till years end like every single player before him. And the longer this last history suggests his gone.

NRL players announce it straight away.

I personally believe that one day, someone will do it mid season and otters may then follow - we are a long way from that though. The biggest comps in the world do it but we seem to be a long way off and IMO it is because of the fans and not the clubs.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Gozu » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:16 am

IMO it makes the NRL look like a farce. Players announcing mid-season they've signed with another team. They used to call that tampering.

Leave it as is like with Buddy, Danger (seemingly) etc Look what happened when they squeezed it out of Bock & Phil Davis

If I were Danger and I was leaving I would tell the media to go fk themselves everytime they asked. That's all it's about the AFL media echo chamber
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:29 am

Daley Cherry Evans announced he was leaving in round 1 and by round 9 announced he was staying. Now that's a farce.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby stan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:20 am

It's all about the media with this one. Nothing needs to change.

Nothing new here.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:53 am

Gozu wrote:IMO it makes the NRL look like a farce. Players announcing mid-season they've signed with another team. They used to call that tampering.

Leave it as is like with Buddy, Danger (seemingly) etc Look what happened when they squeezed it out of Bock & Phil Davis

If I were Danger and I was leaving I would tell the media to go fk themselves everytime they asked. That's all it's about the AFL media echo chamber

I don't like the way the NRL do it either, do players go a bit easier on an opponent knowing he's going to be a team mate the next season?

Personally, I think it should be a banned point of discussion during the season, sure players, managers and clubs can use the season to negotiate deals but I reckon there should be a 6 week window starting from the Monday after round 23 where contracts can only be finalised, it's too disruptive for the players during the season and I get sick of reading about rumours and innuendo when really there's only two people that know what each player is doing.
It severely affected Travis Cloke a couple of years back, Jay Schulz isn't a shadow of his former self atm and the list goes on, the Dangerfield saga has really ran it's race.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:18 am

If you look at overseas comps it is pretty normal for players to announce they will be playing somewhere else next year.

Tbh i think it is just one of those things that will come with increased professionalism of the game, and with free agency. Players move around more, club loyalty becomes a rarity rather than the norm. It is only beginning to happen in the AFL but i think we will see it soon enough.

Being open and honest about it seems much better than secretly signing halfway through a season
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Gozu » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:10 pm

bennymacca wrote:Being open and honest about it seems much better than secretly signing halfway through a season

As I understand it this can't happen in the AFL and it's the way it should remain. Sure players, agents etc will negotiate with other teams during the season you can't really stop that but leave the signing business until a specified date after the GF each year. The NBA's equivalent of July 1.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:27 pm

bennymacca wrote:If you look at overseas comps it is pretty normal for players to announce they will be playing somewhere else next year.

Tbh i think it is just one of those things that will come with increased professionalism of the game, and with free agency. Players move around more, club loyalty becomes a rarity rather than the norm. It is only beginning to happen in the AFL but i think we will see it soon enough.

Being open and honest about it seems much better than secretly signing halfway through a season

I'd sooner go out to battle with those who I think have plans of sticking around for the next season, it would be left second guessing their efforts at times if I knew their intentions were to leave our group.
Just my take on it.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:28 pm

Just not sure how deliberately lying to anyone is any better.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:45 pm

bennymacca wrote:Just not sure how deliberately lying to anyone is any better.

It's not lying, it's withholding information, hence why I suggested that all contract signings should be done in a window after the season.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Just not sure how deliberately lying to anyone is any better.

It's not lying, it's withholding information, hence why I suggested that all contract signings should be done in a window after the season.

Not if you make your mind up then tell everyone you haven't yet.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:22 pm

Not good news with Brad Crouch having 'foot soreness' in the same foot that was operated on this off season...fingers crossed its not fractured again
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2637 times
Been liked: 1865 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:36 pm

Imagine the uproar when danger goes.

I will however look forward to some cow supporters saying how they never rated danger and are glad he left but still carry on like pork chops about it ;) :D
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3035 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Fluffbag » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:44 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Imagine the uproar when danger goes.

I will however look forward to some cow supporters saying how they never rated danger and are glad he left but still carry on like pork chops about it ;) :D

Not from me, Dangerfield got every right to do whatever he want. At the end of the year, he doesn't owe the club anything and the crows don't owe him anything. If they come to another agreement then good, if not, both will move on.

For the people complaining about free agency, the club will get rid of players as soon as they are not wanted so why can't the players also do the same with the clubs.

There will be a vocal minority who will kick up a fuss but the most of us won't lose any sleep over it as it is only football at all. It like losing a character on Games of Thrones, you are sad to see them go but you then get excited for the next season.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby MW » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:56 am

He does not owe the club anything? I tend to disagree with this. Clubs get these kids when they are 17-18 years old. They set them up for life both physically and financially. Most clubs go above and beyond to provide for these kids when they are drafted and for Dangerfield, the fact they let him stay at home and finish yr12 the year after he was drafted was exactly that.
Yes free agency is here and fundamentally I don't have a problem with that. If he wants to go 'home' then that's ok with me. To say he does not owe the club anything is not right though IMO.
What I do have a problem with is the compensation for losing a free agent and the fact that Melbourne can get pick 3 for Frawley, and Hawthorn only get a pick in the late teens for Franklin is a joke. If Crows finish top 8 and lose Danger, then we will be in the similar situation and only get a pick in the teens for Danger when on a trade, he would be worth a no.1 pick minimum.
MW
Coach

Crows 2015

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:07 am

At the end of the day I don't think we can blame players for moving clubs anymore. This is their livelihood and in many respects loyalty is an outdated notion. If someone came and offered you a better job with much better pay right now, right around the corner from home instead of interstate I'm sure most of us would leave our current employer in a heartbeat, even if they were good to us and we probably owe something to them.

Especially if they are upfront and honest, ie Davis, bock, Gunston - Tippett - not so much.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:12 am

I agree with you there.
MW
Coach