Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 18, 2015 2:29 pm

Richmond are 6-1 in last quarters this year, be interesting game on the weekend if its close at 3 quarter time.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2334 times
Been liked: 3571 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Wines & Polec missing makes a huge difference.

I'm looking forward to seeing Young come into the side full time when Cornes steps away, and I did like the look of Amon.

Guess that's a positive so far this season - the blooding and development of players like Young, Ah Chee, Amon.

What about someone like a Sam Gray or Jake Neade as a FP - at least they seem to be willing to apply plenty of defensive pressure I50 and more likely to be sitting at the feet of Schultz for the crumbs.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4040 times

Postby Fluffbag » Mon May 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Could there be a different fitness programme this year to maybe peak later in the season, so a steady increase rather than a quick start, small drop and then increase again late in the year like 2014.

teams like Sydney seems to get better as the year go on rather than peak too early,

you don't give out premierships in May
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 18, 2015 2:40 pm

Fluffbag wrote:Could there be a different fitness programme this year to maybe peak later in the season, so a steady increase rather than a quick start, small drop and then increase again late in the year like 2014.

teams like Sydney seems to get better as the year go on rather than peak too early,

That seemed to be what happened last season Fluffy.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 18, 2015 2:41 pm

Zartan wrote:Wines & Polec missing makes a huge difference.

I'm looking forward to seeing Young come into the side full time when Cornes steps away, and I did like the look of Amon.

Guess that's a positive so far this season - the blooding and development of players like Young, Ah Chee, Amon.

What about someone like a Sam Gray or Jake Neade as a FP - at least they seem to be willing to apply plenty of defensive pressure I50 and more likely to be sitting at the feet of Schultz for the crumbs.

Neade: Please don't.

Sam Gray or Colqhoun next up.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Mon May 18, 2015 2:48 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Zartan wrote:Wines & Polec missing makes a huge difference.

Neade: Please don't.

Sam Gray or Colqhoun next up.

Why are so many Port fans anti-Neade? Granted there's a big gap between his best and worst, but when he's confident and playing well I reckon he goes alright.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Fluffbag » Mon May 18, 2015 2:51 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Fluffbag wrote:Could there be a different fitness programme this year to maybe peak later in the season, so a steady increase rather than a quick start, small drop and then increase again late in the year like 2014.

That seemed to be what happened last season Fluffy.

Last year their fitness level was way ahead of others at the start of 2014 but this year they might be building up to it.

If you could see me then you know that I know nothing about fitness (or probably football in general, as I am a crows supporter :D ) but as they not running out games like last year thought it may be the case and see how they are in the second half.

The other thing is you had more injuries this year so it does affect when the side been very balanced for the last two years.

One positive is that there don't seems to be a great team like a Geelong in previous years so all is not lost.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 18, 2015 2:52 pm

JK wrote:Why are so many Port fans anti-Neade? Granted there's a big gap between his best and worst, but when he's confident and playing well I reckon he goes alright.

I loved him initially, I think he's been found out since and is too one dimensional for the big stage.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 18, 2015 2:56 pm

Fluffbag wrote:Last year their fitness level was way ahead of others at the start of 2014 but this year they might be building up to it.

If you could see me then you know that I know nothing about fitness (or probably football in general, as I am a crows supporter :D ) but as they not running out games like last year thought it may be the case and see how they are in the second half.

The other thing is you had more injuries this year so it does affect when the side been very balanced for the last two years.

One positive is that there don't seems to be a great team like a Geelong in previous years so all is not lost.

Port were 5-zip last year and then 5-5. They miss Bobby and Trengove too much when one or both are unavailable as was the case last season, I'm not sure off how far Clurey is from AFL footy or perhaps they should try Ryder at CHB seeing as though he's doing jack shit else.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Mon May 18, 2015 3:36 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Fluffbag wrote:Last year their fitness level was way ahead of others at the start of 2014 but this year they might be building up to it.

Port were 5-zip last year and then 5-5. They miss Bobby and Trengove too much when one or both are unavailable as was the case last season, I'm not sure off how far Clurey is from AFL footy or perhaps they should try Ryder at CHB seeing as though he's doing jack shit else.

Port were 5-5? Are you sure. When the crows beat them in the second showdown they were top and only lost 3 games I thought
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:39 pm

LM is thinking of 2013. We were 10-1 when we played Sydney in Round 13 last year, lost 6 from the next 8.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby valleys07 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:
valleys07 wrote:
helicopterking wrote:Any excuse will do

:lol:

An interesting stat- we have been outscored 34 goals to 58 in 2nd halves so far this season.

This isn't an excuse, its fact. Have we tempted fate with playing underdone players, which has backfired massively? or is this fitness myth complete bollocks, as we are not working anywhere near hard enough, which brings me to my next point:

Anyone else believe that the inclusion of an extra tall in Ryder, rather than being the missing link, is a massive hindrance?

We are obviously short a midfield rotation as a result (which would explain the lack in workrate from our midfield), not to mention Westhoff, who has gone from the best swingman in the comp, to looking completely at sea.

Wasn't that this teams strength last year?

Home games with Richmond, Bullies and Cats in the next month will tell the story, all teams that will be vying for the same spot in the 8 come years end I would have thought. After that block they are away more than home with only Carlton, Essendon and Gold Coast games where you would pencil in a win.

Indeed it was, Dutch.

That is my point. Is the noticeable drop caused by playing the 3rd tall? is it caused by the increase in workload over the pre-season? is it playing multiple players who had underdone pre-seasons and injury interrupted seasons (Hartlett, Wingard, Polec, White as midfield rotations) on top of Trengove, Ryder and Monfries?

A good mix of all 3.

As I mentioned in my review- don't worry about us reaching optimum levels of fitness in round 18 if we are 5-12. too late by then..

Westhoff needs a run in the 2's I think. At least Ryder is offering a contest up forward and in the ruck- Westhoff is in abyss at present. We desperately need to inject another midfield rotation, and desperately need some hardness around the footy, capable of executing a tackle and blocking for our better users, such as Boak, Gray and Ebert.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby helicopterking » Mon May 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Zartan wrote:What is worrying for Port Adelaide apart from their performance on the field - it's the negative rubbish comments their "supporters" flood Facebook with after a loss.

On the PAFC FB site last night and supporters are tearing shreds off players, the club and some even calling for Hinkley's head :shock:

WTF?!?!

I think Port will be 7-5 or at worst 6-6 at the break. 10 games to go, 13 wins will get you a finals appearance.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 18, 2015 4:10 pm

13 wins would be disappointing given their form last year and expectations for this year.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby stan » Mon May 18, 2015 4:53 pm

At 7-5 they would be feeling a lot better but at 3-4 means that you are playing some good football over the next 5 weeks, which they are definitely not doing at the moment.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Spargo » Mon May 18, 2015 5:47 pm

On current form Richmond will beat Port this week.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5533 times
Been liked: 5161 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Spargo wrote:On current form Richmond will beat Port this week.

This is Richmond remember, they were touched up by Melbourne a few weeks back. It all depends which Richmond turns up. It also helps if their numb nuts skippers kicks with the wind this time lol
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3563 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby carey » Mon May 18, 2015 6:46 pm

hawks21 wrote:Port have gone from the hunters to the hunted. Teams woud have put a lot more work into Ports game plan etc over the off season. I also heard a stat that Port have only won 1 last quarter for the year which would be concerning since the hype around fitness. Don't think its panic stations quite just yet as Port are only 1 game out the 8 (Some supporters on social media seem to think its season over).

Also don't underestimate the loss of Phil Walsh, i remember when Dean Bailey got suspended, Sando was cooked. In saying that Voss isn't a bad replacement.

That's a cop out. The Hawks have been hunted for years yet keep coming up trumps. My opinion is the players now believe there own hype.

Been out worked, Out run and totally out played by 2 very average sides.
Last edited by carey on Mon May 18, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby carey » Mon May 18, 2015 6:48 pm

On current form Henley would beat us this week.
carey
Coach

Postby carey » Mon May 18, 2015 6:49 pm

Jim05 wrote:

This is Richmond remember, they were touched up by Melbourne a few weeks back. It all depends which Richmond turns up. It also helps if their numb nuts skippers kicks with the wind this time lol

Boak kicked against it 2 weeks ago when West Coast did us.
carey
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL