2017 Off-Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2017 Off-Season

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:03 pm

Brodlach wrote:They have been ok with retention the past couple of years, before that it was terrible. Plenty of their youngsters have re-signed with the club over the past 6 months

Schache = soft. Just watch him play. Look up mummas boy in the dictioary and there is a picture of him

You'd know more than I do in that department so I'll take your word for it.

They do look alright when they get a giddy up, just not often enough.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Brodlach wrote:They have been ok with retention the past couple of years, before that it was terrible. Plenty of their youngsters have re-signed with the club over the past 6 months

Schache = soft. Just watch him play. Look up mummas boy in the dictioary and there is a picture of him

You'd know more than I do in that department so I'll take your word for it.

They do look alright when they get a giddy up, just not often enough.

Yeah, I wouldn't but hey, you go for it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7520 times
Been liked: 10822 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Essendon has signed former cricketer Luke Lavender as a Category B rookie. Played a bit of PL cricket in Adelaide and represented the state at under age level I believe
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3565 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby JK » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 pm

bennymacca wrote:brisbane are in a different stage of development though. having experienced heads around an extremely young group can be beneficial (GWS have done this successfully in the past)

Yep, I agree with this. Hawks still have a few premiership players around, but not many at Brissy (only Beams maybe?). Provided his body holds up for a few games I reckon Hodge can be invaluable for the young cubs.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby MW » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Basically an on field coach.
Hawks don't need it, Brisbane certainly do.
Smart move Lions.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2637 times
Been liked: 1865 times

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:30 pm

by Gary Ablett Jnr :

As everyone knows, I have requested a trade to the Geelong Football Club. A lot of people are likely to be making assumptions about why I made this decision; however, only a few people know the reasons why.

I have been playing football for 16 years now. I began playing the game before I was able to graduate high school at the age of seventeen. Football is all I have ever known and it’s a massive part of who I am.

I have been privileged enough to have achieved a lot of success in the time that I have played this game.

However, as most people know, success and sacrifice go hand in hand. As grateful as I am for my career and everything that has come with it, having it consume most of my life has meant that other areas have had to take a back seat during that time.

Sixteen years on, now married and looking to start a family, my priorities have shifted. I need to be around my family back home, who I have spent the last 7 years doing long distance with.

My sisters, my brother, and parents all play a huge role in my life, and it’s time that I make myself more available to them and others back home.

I am at a stage in my career where I need to get the balance right between footy and life outside of football, and the recent break period has allowed me the time that I needed to put certain things in place.

People will wonder whether I regret my decision signing with the Gold Coast Suns. I can promise you, that is simply not true.

Although I am requesting for my time to come to an end on the Gold Coast, there is absolutely nothing that I would have done differently.

The Gold Coast Football Club has played an essential role in the man and football player that I am today.

It has allowed me to grow as a player and as a leader. I have built great relationships and have made lifelong friends. Coming to this decision has been extremely tough because, like most people, I don’t like disappointing others.

However, I’ve learnt that unfortunately in life you can’t make everybody happy.

As a footy club we have been through so many ups and downs. I know how hard the players, coaching staff, and administration have worked through that process. If blood, sweat and tears count for anything, we should have had much more success on-field.

Nobody wanted that more than me. I said from day one that it was about winning a premiership and playing finals football.

Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to achieve that. This hurts. But, I also have total faith in the Gold Coast Suns. I’m confident that the football club is heading in the right direction and are not a long way off from achieving that success.

To the fans, seeing you rally behind us over the last seven years has been extremely humbling. You are the heart of this club and one of the very reasons it will be successful.

I am overwhelmingly proud of the Suns and my seven years here. I will be forever grateful to have been this club’s inaugural captain. I don’t look back with any regret because I know I gave my absolute all every time I wore our colours. The supporters deserved that.

Everyone has things that they’re going through in their personal lives which is why I hope you, the Suns fans, can understand why I am seeking a trade back to Geelong.

At the age of 33, I am confident that I have a lot of footy still left in my body. But I am also aware that, at my age, it’s really all about balance. The Gold Coast, the Suns, and the supporters will always be apart of who I am.

I want to thank a few people who have been my greatest supporters over the last seven years.

To the Suns’ administration, it was extremely difficult for me to come and meet with you to request the trade. However, when I sat with you, I couldn’t help but feel respected and heard. Thank you for seeking to understand and for making yourselves approachable.

To my teammates, thank you for always having my back and for supporting me throughout this process. I’ve enjoyed riding the highs and lows with each and every one of you, and I couldn’t be more proud of the young men that you have all developed into. We’ve been through a lot together, and our unity and brotherhood is something that I will cherish forever.

To my family back home, although my move interstate has been difficult at times, you’ve done nothing but support me and want the very best for me. I’m grateful to have you as my family, and I love and appreciate each one of you.

And lastly, and most importantly, to my wife, Jordan… Your support has meant the world to me and quite frankly, I wouldn’t know what to do without it. You’ve made this process so much easier by trusting me to make the right decision.

I love knowing that whether I am on the Gold Coast, down in Geelong, or enjoying retirement, there you are, always by my side. Thank you for inspiring me to always strive to be better, not just as a footballer, but most importantly as a person, a leader, and a friend.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:36 pm

7 years now, wow.

Well put together, it's easy for the average Joe to draw their own assumptions.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm

when you hear a player spell it out like that it makes perfect sense really.

basically time to retire, but if he can get one or two years at a place close to home, why not try and make it happen. you are a long time retired

got no issue with players his age wanting to do this
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:when you hear a player spell it out like that it makes perfect sense really.

basically time to retire, but if he can get one or two years at a place close to home, why not try and make it happen. you are a long time retired

Considering he grew up spending more time at Kardinia Park than he would've at home too.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:when you hear a player spell it out like that it makes perfect sense really.

I'm surprised Geelong are keen on him to be honest. They're still thinking this senior group has one more flag in them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:50 pm

I just looked up Mummas boy in the dictionary but the picture looked a lot like Josh Jenkins. :lol:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2234 times
Been liked: 2530 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:51 pm

Booney wrote:

I'm surprised Geelong are keen on him to be honest. They're still thinking this senior group has one more flag in them.

A 60 goal small forward that can pinch hit in the guts, I'm sold.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:52 pm

No problem with him wanting to go home but don’t sign a multi year contract and demand it be heavily front loaded and then bail with a year to run on it
Jim05
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:54 pm

Booney wrote:

two losing prelims. why not have a crack at it. as freo, west coast, st kilda and even hawthorn have found out, the premiership window can slam shut very quickly. may as well have one last crack at it

Jim05 wrote:No problem with him wanting to go home but don’t sign a multi year contract and demand it be heavily front loaded and then bail with a year to run on it

certainly gets murky when you front load contracts etc
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:57 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

two losing prelims. why not have a crack at it. as freo, west coast, st kilda and even hawthorn have found out, the premiership window can slam shut very quickly. may as well have one last crack at it

Jim05 wrote:No problem with him wanting to go home but don’t sign a multi year contract and demand it be heavily front loaded and then bail with a year to run on it

certainly gets murky when you front load contracts etc

Bet he wouldn’t be asking to leave if it was a back ended contract
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:02 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

Mackie and Lonergan closed it on their way out.

Finished 2nd both years so no denying the quality of the group, but bundled out both years in the prelims by sides who lost the GF means they're close but not quite up to the top couple. ( Might have been lucky in '16, beat the Hawks in the 1st final by 2 points IIRC ).

I don't see Ablett making up for the loss of Mackie and Lonergan and Taylor going 32 and a banged up Selwood 30.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:05 pm

Jim05 wrote:

No problem with him wanting to go home but don’t sign a multi year contract and demand it be heavily front loaded and then bail with a year to run on it

Spot on. For their own sake, GC shouldn't cave on this, they need a reasonable return else remain steadfast
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:05 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Exactly, Suns have got every right to be filthy with him.

Hard to feel sorry for him at all, we are at the stage in AFL where those retiring have never worked a real job in their lives. He is playing on the Gold Coast FFS, hardly Alaksa!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2334 times
Been liked: 3575 times

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:10 pm

Jim05 wrote:

This is his second contract though, isn't it?

He signed a 5 year deal ( 11/12/13/14/15 ) and from memory added 16/17/18?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:22 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Exactly, Suns have got every right to be filthy with him.

Hard to feel sorry for him at all, we are at the stage in AFL where those retiring have never worked a real job in their lives. He is playing on the Gold Coast FFS, hardly Alaksa!

Don't think anyone feels sorry for him.
I think Suns have more right to be filthy on him for his output the last couple of years but why give him the contract after injuring his shoulder in 2014 and off the back of 6 game 2015 season.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL