Port Adelaide 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

Postby Brodlach » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Have no issue with Dixon getting 5 years, had to offer them some sort of carrot to get him to move
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Brodlach wrote:Have no issue with Dixon getting 5 years, had to offer them some sort of carrot to get him to move

Time will tell but he was worth the risk...... I'll give Port that one.
One out of four ain't bad!!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2238 times
Been liked: 2535 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:13 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Have no issue with Dixon getting 5 years, had to offer them some sort of carrot to get him to move

Time will tell but he was worth the risk...... I'll give Port that one.
One out of four ain't bad!!

Might help if he can stay fit and if they don't bomb it on his head everytime
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Brodlach wrote:I am no fan at all of Troy Menzel, I think we (the Crows) are in trouble if he plays but I would even take him before Polec. Polec's best games came when Hinkley bought in the run game style but as soon as teams worked that plan out Polec has become null and void.

Not trolling just having a footy discussion

Polec is that type of outside player you'd love to see get pole axed (lol maybe that's just me), but he can be exceptionally damaging when on song. Seems to have reduced the incidences of shanks since his earlier days, and would be one of those players that can massively help the key forwards. Body language not great at times, but he has the ability imho.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Ruben Carter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Me either. He's not Buddy, but he'll be the no.1 tall forward in SA by the end of this season, I reckon. :D
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby Brodlach » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Ruben Carter wrote:

Me either. He's not Buddy, but he'll be the no.1 tall forward in SA by the end of this season, I reckon. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: you jokester Rubén
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:24 pm

Ruben Carter wrote:

Christ! There's optimism, then lunacy, then Ruben :lol:

He has 1 tall to overtake before he is the #1 forward on Port's list. Then we can work on Adelaide's :(
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1174 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Ruben Carter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:21 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Ruben Carter wrote:

Christ! There's optimism, then lunacy, then Ruben :lol:

He has 1 tall to overtake before he is the #1 forward on Port's list. Then we can work on Adelaide's :(

Oh ye of little faith... :D
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Postby Dutchy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:25 pm

Averages 13 games a year and was injured again this pre-season....
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2339 times
Been liked: 3607 times

Postby Ruben Carter » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:53 am

Dutchy wrote:

Averages 13 games a year and was injured again this pre-season....

Correct. So the law of averages is in his favour this year :D
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Postby GWW » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:57 am

Dixon was a risk Port had to take, because the club's drafting & development of key forwards - eg Harvey & Shaw - has been diabolical.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby stan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:57 am

GWW wrote:Dixon was a risk Port had to take, because the club's drafting & development of key forwards - eg Harvey & Shaw - has been diabolical.

What Butcher doesnt get a mention?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:06 am

GWW wrote:Dixon was a risk Port had to take, because the club's drafting & development of key forwards - eg Harvey & Shaw - has been diabolical.

And the downside is you get stuck with him for 5 years on big $....huge risk.

Very early in the season, but at this stage a Rookie on 10% of his pay packet is looking more dangerous.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2339 times
Been liked: 3607 times

Postby MW » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Kochie just can't stop can he...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/port-adelaide/power-president-david-koch-digs-line-in-the-sand-deeper-making-bigger-hole-for-coach-ken-hinkley/news-story/f21191ee519d747331326a79307f3fb0

DAVID Koch arrived as Port Adelaide president in October 2012 saying he did not want a “high profile” and he would leave the football speak to those who were experts in the field.

But that was five years ago ... and clearly much has changed at Alberton.

Koch, who confesses he professionally deals with spruiking bulldust as a media performer, was parachuted by the AFL into the Port Adelaide Football Club presidency at the same time the AFL Commission was putting together contingency plans to spread the Power licence across Adelaide, Alice Springs and Darwin — and, at worst, Tasmania.

Five years on, Koch leads a club that is carrying the AFL flag to China — and a supporter base that prefers him to have a high profile and also talk football.

Koch also is speaking their language from the club’s SANFL era when, as Port Adelaide fans remember it, “we won a flag every second year”. This is not so easy to achieve in the AFL.

Koch stayed true to his summer script with his appearance on the Channel Nine Footy Show on Thursday night when he kept the “failed” stamp on Port Adelaide’s 10th ranking last season, the second consecutive year with the Power out of the top eight.

Will Ken Hinkley survive?

“It’s failure, full stop,” Koch said on the Footy Show, as he had in that infamous radio interview with FIVEaa in the Williams Family Stand at Alberton went the pre-season kicked off last month with an internal trial.

“Not making the finals is no excuses; it is failure, full stop.

“I hate giving excuses. I say, ‘We failed’.

“We’ve learnt. We’ve got to do better. And we will continue to learn.

“And,” adds Koch in a telling statement, “we understand the expectations of our members and supporters that we play — and my expectation is — we play finals each and every year.

“We are not going to tolerate a third year (without finals) at all — and we don’t think we’ll need to.”

Immediately, this is read as turning the heat on coach Ken Hinkley, who — if this means anything — is on contract to lead the Power next year.

And there is the question of whether Koch’s statements help Hinkley achieve his goals — and whether club president and coach are indeed on the same page.

Koch’s platform is: Port Adelaide MUST play finals this season or there will be consequences.

Hinkley’s theme is: The Power’s goal is to make the top eight this year — and there always is a fallout, be it to players, assistant coaches or football staff, at the end of every season.

Both Koch and Hinkley want Port Adelaide in September action this year. The question is how each will react if the Power stays in the bottom 10.

That question has been there since Koch, Hinkley, chief executive Keith Thomas and captain Travis Boak met in a cafe on the Gold Coast at 9 the Sunday morning after the Power’s season closed at Metricon Stadium on August 27 — for a “robust and confronting session,” as Koch recalls it.

This unease continued at the John Cahill Medal club champion count a fortnight later when Koch put football at the forefront of his sermon — and Hinkley, who spoke later, noted much of his speech had been taken by the president.

Clearly, much has changed at Alberton since October 1, 2012.

Koch is no longer low profile (if he ever was going to be).

And Hinkley — who was presented as the “best man standing” rather than “last man standing” for the coaching job — is not the only man charged with talking footy at Port Adelaide.

That is the price of resetting expectation at Alberton so quickly by lifting the “basket case” Power from 14th in 2012 to fifth in 2013.

Recreating that “miracle” turnaround may not be easy this time, particularly when there is heat within the clubhouse from the board room.

Hinkley’s former right-hand man, Alan Richardson, must be grateful he has put St Kilda on the gradual rise — 18th, 14th and ninth — to manage expectations.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2640 times
Been liked: 1868 times

Postby the milky bar kid » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:37 pm

MW wrote:Kochie just can't stop can he...

He's just saying what everyone knew.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby GWW » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:55 pm

stan wrote:

Fair point - yeah, he belongs in the group too.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby DOC » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:07 pm

GWW wrote:
stan wrote:

If they had been at different (SANFL) clubs (ie the old system), would they have developed better?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 748 times
Been liked: 2133 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:20 pm

DOC wrote:
GWW wrote:
stan wrote:

If they had been at different (SANFL) clubs (ie the old system), would they have developed better?

Butcher was at Port in the old system, Harvey too IIRC. Not sure on Shaw.

Maybe Butchers non-development is due to that one Ressies game he had at the Bays in 2012 as our go to forward??
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1834 times

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:33 pm

Maybe? I think we all know the answer to that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7531 times
Been liked: 10839 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:20 pm

GWW wrote:
stan wrote:

He would be the captain of that group!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2238 times
Been liked: 2535 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL