2016 Silly Season, Trades and Rumours and utter BS

Talk on the national game

Re: 2016 Silly Season, Trades and Rumours and utter BS

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:52 pm

The AFL had your back with the whole ASADA thing too. You both might find the law has a different opinion
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1664 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby JK » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:55 pm

Jim05 wrote:Will get a couple of first rounders for him. No chance of walking, we have the AFL backing on that

Legit question mate, whats the deal with players that choose to leave - I thought they were meant to be treated as FA's, so if say Hurley leaves to a nominated club, they aren't forced to give anything up are they? Meaning the Bombers would have to settle for the compensation pick?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:47 pm

JK wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Will get a couple of first rounders for him. No chance of walking, we have the AFL backing on that

Legit question mate, whats the deal with players that choose to leave - I thought they were meant to be treated as FA's, so if say Hurley leaves to a nominated club, they aren't forced to give anything up are they? Meaning the Bombers would have to settle for the compensation pick?

No. If he elects to go to the Grievence Tribunal and wins he would be classed as a delisted free agent and we receive no compo whatsoever.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3563 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby JK » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:25 am

Jim05 wrote:
JK wrote:

No. If he elects to go to the Grievence Tribunal and wins he would be classed as a delisted free agent and we receive no compo whatsoever.

OK, so IF he wanted out, the Bombers would obviously be keen not to head down that path and would likely orchestrate the best deal they could get for him. Problem is that if he's set on a particular club and no others, the club wouldn't have to offer up much? (ala Dangerfield to the Cats)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:42 am

What are the guarantees that the Essendon players are going to come back as they were quality wise?
Is there a risk that a year of, not just from the game but the routines of footy, has softened the body (I'm not necessarily talking fitness)?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:45 am

Dogwatcher wrote:What are the guarantees that the Essendon players are going to come back as they were quality wise?
Is there a risk that a year of, not just from the game but the routines of footy, has softened the body (I'm not necessarily talking fitness)?

I reckon it will be the opposite. They will all come out firing.

Their training would have been closely monitored by the club even though there was supposed to be no contact
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:54 am

I agree that would be the case, but that's fitness.

I'm talking about the rigour of the game and the players' bodies being able to stand up to it.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:56 am

Dogwatcher wrote:What are the guarantees that the Essendon players are going to come back as they were quality wise?

Plenty of guys have a year off with knee ops and come back fine, Menzel had 2 or 3 years out of the game and looks like he hasn't missed a beat. Most of the guys have been training their arses off before heading overseas and the break has done some them some good by get a few little minor ops and niggles out of the way.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:58 am

JK wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
JK wrote:

OK, so IF he wanted out, the Bombers would obviously be keen not to head down that path and would likely orchestrate the best deal they could get for him. Problem is that if he's set on a particular club and no others, the club wouldn't have to offer up much? (ala Dangerfield to the Cats)

No one wants to go down that path as its a AFL appointed panel and they have already notified clubs to play fairly at the trade table so we won't be massively low balled.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:01 pm

I'm sure you'll get something, but I just can't see anyone giving 2 first round picks.

Geelong didn't give up anything near 2 first rounders for Dangerfield, so why would Hurley be worth more?

With the threat of him leaving for nothing if they don't deal, I think you're looking more like a second round pick or depth player.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:03 pm

Grahaml wrote:I'm sure you'll get something, but I just can't see anyone giving 2 first round picks.

Geelong didn't give up anything near 2 first rounders for Dangerfield, so why would Hurley be worth more?

With the threat of him leaving for nothing if they don't deal, I think you're looking more like a second round pick or depth player.

I think the days of gifting first round picks for established talent are gone - for now.
It doesn't seem to be the way clubs want to trade.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby carey » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:23 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Grahaml wrote:I'm sure you'll get something, but I just can't see anyone giving 2 first round picks.

I think the days of gifting first round picks for established talent are gone - for now.

Unless your Port, North or Richmond.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:39 pm

carey wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

Unless your Port, North or Richmond.

Exactly. The only clubs not following the trend.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:50 pm

He won't leave for nothing as its too big of a risk to take as there is no guarantee of him winning.
If he decides to go a first rounder would be required as a bare minimum
Jim05
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:43 pm

Jim05 wrote:

He won't leave for nothing as its too big of a risk to take as there is no guarantee of him winning.

That doesn't make sense. If he walks as a delisted free agent he'll get to the club he picks, so how would that affect him winning? If anything, it would be the opposite and he would refuse to agree to a trade to assure the club he goes to is as strong as possible.

I like though how you've gone from 2 first rounders to 1 pretty quickly though. But he's an inferior player to Dangerfield and Essendon have a much weaker position IMO than Adelaide did, so I can't see him getting close to the mid first round, mid second round pick Geelong gave up. Pick 20-25 is my estimate. Or probably more likely a similar pick and a later pick (40-50) for a decent fringe player at another club. Ellis-Yolman from Adelaide being a prime example. Essendon just have such little bargaining power and clubs aren't throwing first rounders around like they used to.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Grahaml wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

That doesn't make sense. If he walks as a delisted free agent he'll get to the club he picks, so how would that affect him winning? If anything, it would be the opposite and he would refuse to agree to a trade to assure the club he goes to is as strong as possible.

I like though how you've gone from 2 first rounders to 1 pretty quickly though. But he's an inferior player to Dangerfield and Essendon have a much weaker position IMO than Adelaide did, so I can't see him getting close to the mid first round, mid second round pick Geelong gave up. Pick 20-25 is my estimate. Or probably more likely a similar pick and a later pick (40-50) for a decent fringe player at another club. Ellis-Yolman from Adelaide being a prime example. Essendon just have such little bargaining power and clubs aren't throwing first rounders around like they used to.

He can't just walk. He would have to go through a Grievance Tribunal which is a 5 man panel appointed by the AFL so there is no guarantee he would win at the tribunal. Under the guidelines they take things into consideration such as - has the club changed it protocols and governance, it also takes in the finding of the WADA decision which laid 70% of the blame with the players and not the club. A lot more people in the know think it's only 50/50 that he would win his case at the tribunal so it's a big risk and hence why none of the parties at this stage want to go down that path. Havnt changed from two first rounders, it just depends on which club he nominated. If it's someone like Richmond or someone else with a top 10 pick that would possibly get it done, someone like the Hawks or Swans who have picks in the very high teens would need to find 2 first rounders. Crows got screwed on that deal with Danger so I wouldn't be using that as a guide. Treloar got 2 first rounders and we got pick 5 for Carlisle last year from the Saints.
All the talk seems to be the Dogs the favourites, would think we get either their first rounder from this year and next or this years first rounder, second rounder and a player. People are also forgetting Dangerfield was uncontracted and could of entered the PSD for nothing, Hurley still has another year to run on his contract.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:26 pm

Those trades aren't as straight forward as you suggest. Treloar's price was offset by a second round and 5th round pick being swapped too and Carlisle's pick 5 price also involved a swap of picks 14 and 24.

You're right about Dangerfield going to the PSD but that's the suggestion with Hurley. The feeling is that as the club was found guilty of breaches of workplace safety that it wouldn't have a strong position to argue against Hurley's contract being voided by the grievance tribunal. There's also the worry about more legal action, just to keep a bloke who wants out. I'd have thought Essendon have had more than enough of legal proceedings.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:37 pm

Grahaml wrote:Those trades aren't as straight forward as you suggest. Treloar's price was offset by a second round and 5th round pick being swapped too and Carlisle's pick 5 price also involved a swap of picks 14 and 24.

You're right about Dangerfield going to the PSD but that's the suggestion with Hurley. The feeling is that as the club was found guilty of breaches of workplace safety that it wouldn't have a strong position to argue against Hurley's contract being voided by the grievance tribunal. There's also the worry about more legal action, just to keep a bloke who wants out. I'd have thought Essendon have had more than enough of legal proceedings.

Except the tribunal is appointed by the AFL so they will get the desired result just like the tribunal that found the club not guilty in the first place. Also they have sent out a memo to all clubs advising not to head down that route and to offer up market value if in fact he does leave.
Anyways it's all just guessing until he decides. He gets home tomorrow and meets with the club on Tuesday. Everything so far from his mates over there with him suggest he won't go down the DFA route even if he does move on.
And whatever way you put it we ended up with 5 for Carlisle without giving up anything else and that was for a guy with a season long ban hanging over him
Jim05
Coach

Postby tigerland09 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:13 pm

Ballantyne to West Coast
tigerland09
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby stan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:55 pm

tigerland09 wrote:Ballantyne to West Coast

Really depends what it cost us. Thinking they'll be looking for picks to help them with McCarthy and Lobb.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL