Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:46 am

JK wrote:Keep hearing Polec doesnt want to leave Port, but needs that extra year that Port aren't willing to offer .. Booney et al, any chance Port re-visit their offer to match the length of term? The whispers around the traps suggest the money isn't so important to Polec by comparison.

Several business interests keep him closely tied to SA.

I agree, I think a 4th year would be enough too keep him here, but, we don't know what other agreements are in place for that 4th year at the club or moreover what potential targets are on the horizon over the next 1-2 years.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7628 times
Been liked: 11097 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:50 am

amber_fluid wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
JK wrote:Keep hearing Polec doesnt want to leave Port, but needs that extra year that Port aren't willing to offer .. Booney et al, any chance Port re-visit their offer to match the length of term? The whispers around the traps suggest the money isn't so important to Polec by comparison.

Surely Port could offer 3 years with a trigger clause for an additional 2.. or 4 plus 1?

But if he can get 5 years with no triggers and more money it’s a no brainer really.

Not that easy.

He's got business interests here, does he see his long term future in SA or in Melbourne? If he see's it in SA post football the money he'll drop on selling / buying a home or renting for 5 years, the mental cost of living in Melbourne (**** that), the scrutiny/pressure he'd be under as a big money player etc etc.

Lot's to consider, unless you're a no brainer. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:52 am

What happens if his foot has issues early next season?

Port must have some idea that his foot issue is of some concern
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4301 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:57 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Surely Port could offer 3 years with a trigger clause for an additional 2.. or 4 plus 1?

But if he can get 5 years with no triggers and more money it’s a no brainer really.

Not that easy.

He's got business interests here, does he see his long term future in SA or in Melbourne? If he see's it in SA post football the money he'll drop on selling / buying a home or renting for 5 years, the mental cost of living in Melbourne (**** that), the scrutiny/pressure he'd be under as a big money player etc etc.

Lot's to consider, unless you're a no brainer. ;)

She’s only a 55 minute plane ride home. ;)
Plenty of footballers have business interests interstate and manage.

The GAP between Ports offer and NM’s is miles apart and you couldn’t blame him for taking it.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2258 times
Been liked: 2595 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:03 pm

I wouldn't blame him at all, I expect that he will take it but I don't think it's as clear cut as many people think.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:07 pm

How much cap would be cleared up by Polec moving on? Could PA be in a position to make a play for Dylan Shiel?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3216 times
Been liked: 4124 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:10 pm

The Bedge wrote:How much cap would be cleared up by Polec moving on? Could PA be in a position to make a play for Dylan Shiel?

Didn’t someone on here mention he was only on $375k?
That’s not clearing much
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:11 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
The Bedge wrote:How much cap would be cleared up by Polec moving on? Could PA be in a position to make a play for Dylan Shiel?

Didn’t someone on here mention he was only on $375k?
That’s not clearing much

Oh didn't see that haha! Well then, it's a fair pay rise he's about to get off the back of one good season! :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Now we're talking, he's going out with Chocco's daughter too I believe.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4365 times
Been liked: 8068 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:00 pm

I thought Port wanted to hit the draft hard this year and trade into the draft no trade out of it.
Shiel would cost any club two first rounders and a salary of $800k plus a year.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3650 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Jim05 wrote:

I thought Port wanted to hit the draft hard this year and trade into the draft no trade out of it.

9,21,27,45,46 with perhaps something for Polec in the first round to come, potentially.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Assuming Port get Norths first round pick for Polec, they'll be reasonably placed with two 1st round picks and two 2 round picks, so will be well positioned in the draft.

Port could potentially trade away a future 1st round pick as well, and I don't think salary for 800k would be a concern.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:12 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Assuming Port get Norths first round pick for Polec, they'll be reasonably placed with two 1st round picks and two 2 round picks, so will be well positioned in the draft.

Port could potentially trade away a future 1st round pick as well, and I don't think salary for 800k would be a concern.

I think $800k would be a concern.
Surely they are close to the cap with all the extra pieces of the puzzle they have got in recent years plus Ollie signing on long term?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:15 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

I think $800k would be a concern.
Surely they are close to the cap with all the extra pieces of the puzzle they have got in recent years plus Ollie signing on long term?

Late(ish) in the season commentators during a Port game were expressing their amazement at Port apparently having more cap space available than anyone. Not sure if accurate or not, but they were talking as though it was gospel.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4470 times
Been liked: 3012 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby The Bedge » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:15 pm

amber_fluid wrote:I think $800k would be a concern.

Wouldn't think so, weren't Port looking to offer Polec around 500k a year? I think they've probably got more room than people realise.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

9,21,27,45,46 with perhaps something for Polec in the first round to come, potentially.

I thought Port were keen to get up the order for Lukosius or Rankine.
Shiel would cost pick 9 and probably your pick you get for Polec. Most of the gun SA lads will be gone in the top 15-20
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:16 pm

The Bedge wrote:

Wouldn't think so, weren't Port looking to offer Polec around 500k a year? I think they've probably got more room than people realise.

Lycett $700k aswell?
Jim05
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Jim05 wrote:I thought Port were keen to get up the order for Lukosius or Rankine.
Shiel would cost pick 9 and probably your pick you get for Polec. Most of the gun SA lads will be gone in the top 15-20

Surely Shiel doesn't cost picks 9 & 10.

Cant see Port getting either of those SA boys, and if it's a forward they're after they may look to get Ben King - an ideal future replacement for Dixon. Connor Rozee should still be available around the time of Ports first pick.

Guess it all depends on what the clubs above in the draft are looking for as well, and who trades away what picks.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:22 pm

The Bedge wrote:

And they’re chasing Lycett?
They’ll need more $$ for Wingard, Jonas, Clurey in the next year or so.
Can’t see where it will come from?
Boak will by gone end of next year which will free up cash but who else?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:22 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Jim05 wrote:I thought Port were keen to get up the order for Lukosius or Rankine.

Surely Shiel doesn't cost picks 9 & 10.

Cant see Port getting either of those SA boys, and if it's a forward they're after they may look to get Ben King - an ideal future replacement for Dixon. Connor Rozee should still be available around the time of Ports first pick.

Guess it all depends on what the clubs above in the draft are looking for as well, and who trades away what picks.

Shiel still being contracted would cost pick 9 and either the Polec pick or next years first.
Rozee will go to the Dogs and Hately to Essendon if the Crows or Port can’t find a way to get up the order IMO
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL