Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Talk on the national game

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:37 am

bennymacca wrote:I wouldnt really call Jonas a tall.

188cm isnt tall for you? :shock: How bloody tall are you!?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:39 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Actually looking over the list I take it back, he isn't as tall when compared to others :lol: apologies
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:43 am

bennymacca wrote:I wouldnt really call Jonas a tall. Hombsch yes, but he is only young and takes the third tall at best. Had carlisle and Trengove in mind when i posted that really. The are never going to be all australian, but as i said, serviceable.

In terms of smaller backs, i think you are still short a running half back. Broadbent does a good job, but i think the team would look a whole lot better with someone like Danyle pearce back there. That might be controversial because i know he wasnt super well liked at alberton but he would still slot straight into your team.

Another way to look at the weaknesses is to look at how badly the team is affected if someone got injured. I think thats why Schulz is so important, because if he went down it would mess up your whole structure. similar to what big tex has done at the crows, just thrown everything out. Lobbe stepping up cannot be underestimated either. Ruck was a pretty big problem for the last couple of years and seems to have been solved now. But he would also be a big loss. Contrast that with having robbie gray out. The team could still function well without him because of wingard and some of your other decent small forwards, and now him coming back in is just the icing on the cake.

Bear in mind im trying to nitpick a bit, because there are very few weaknesses in the port team at the moment.

I think John Butcher has worked hard since going back to the SANFL - although I haven't rated him - he would come in if Schulz went down and slot in, would just mean more would be needed out of the smaller forwards.

Danyle Pearce - No. There was a reason he moved on.

Lobbe has been amazing, but Redden isnt far off returning, and with Trengove and Westhoff being able to support in the ruck it's not all bad, so i think the Power could cover him.

Robbie Gray would be a massive loss, but there are other players emerging now whereas a couple years ago, the work load was shared between too few.

In my opinion, Boak would be the biggest loss to the Power
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:48 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

183, but by afl standards you need to be well over 190 to be a key forward of backmen these days

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Actually looking over the list I take it back, he isn't as tall when compared to others :lol: apologies

:D

Phantom Gossiper wrote:In my opinion, Boak would be the biggest loss to the Power

yeah obviously losing your best player will hurt the most, but it wouldnt ruin the structure like losing schulz would.

And redden used to get smashed when he played, I think you would struggle a lot if Lobbe went down.

edit: Just went and looked at the stats, and lobbe is equal 10th for hitouts, and port are 14th for clearances, 8th for centre clearances, and 15th for stoppages. Maybe he wouldnt be as big a loss as i thought :D
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby auto » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:37 pm

bennymacca wrote:
auto wrote:
bennymacca wrote:also the third youngest list too. And with the exception of Kornes and schulz, they dont heavily rely on anyone over the age of 28, which is also a great sign for them.

The still need to find another tall forward to replace schulz in a couple of years, but other than that they have probably the best forward line in the comp behind hawthorn.

I think down back they still might be potentially suspect, their talls are servicable but arent going to win you games, but their mids are also up there with the best young groups in the comp.

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Monfries cleared to return this week, will he be brought straight back in or brought through the reserves?

If he comes in, who misses out? Sam Gray or Aaron Young?

reckon gray would miss

our 4 talls are in such good form atm. Hombsch and Jonas are flying, and hence when Stevie J got off to a good start Jonas went onto him for a while to shut him down.

I wouldnt really call Jonas a tall. Hombsch yes, but he is only young and takes the third tall at best. Had carlisle and Trengove in mind when i posted that really. The are never going to be all australian, but as i said, serviceable.

In terms of smaller backs, i think you are still short a running half back. Broadbent does a good job, but i think the team would look a whole lot better with someone like Danyle pearce back there. That might be controversial because i know he wasnt super well liked at alberton but he would still slot straight into your team.

Another way to look at the weaknesses is to look at how badly the team is affected if someone got injured. I think thats why Schulz is so important, because if he went down it would mess up your whole structure. similar to what big tex has done at the crows, just thrown everything out. Lobbe stepping up cannot be underestimated either. Ruck was a pretty big problem for the last couple of years and seems to have been solved now. But he would also be a big loss. Contrast that with having robbie gray out. The team could still function well without him because of wingard and some of your other decent small forwards, and now him coming back in is just the icing on the cake.

Bear in mind im trying to nitpick a bit, because there are very few weaknesses in the port team at the moment.

In regards to talls, Port and most/all other teams dont necessarily put the best defender on the best forward, its more of whats your skill set and whats the oppositions forwards weaknesse/strengths. Carlisle awlays takes the power forward unless they roam far then trengove will go with his better fitness. Hombsch takes someone who he can run off and create. Jonas often take the most dangerous forward because he tends to wear them like a glove ie Stevie J. in regards to all this our talls are playing superbly and have all added runing off and creating to their game.
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:39 pm

They are playing well no doubt, but not none of your back six would be close to all Australian selection. And in a team that could have 4/5 all Australians, I was just making the point that they are more workmanlike than the rest of the team. Doing their job for sure but imagine if you had a gun running half back or a creative CHB in the mix too.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:55 pm

bennymacca wrote:They are playing well no doubt, but not none of your back six would be close to all Australian selection. And in a team that could have 4/5 all Australians, I was just making the point that they are more workmanlike than the rest of the team. Doing their job for sure but imagine if you had a gun running half back or a creative CHB in the mix too.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Nobody at the Power would give a shit that any of their back six would be worthy of All Australian. Barring injury don't think the Power's defence will change much now.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10428 times
Been liked: 1544 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:58 pm

You missed the point but all good
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:02 pm

Young Sammy Colquhoun has been in for an ACL reconstruction and will miss all of 2014....May 2015 the likely return.

This lad really has some dash and plays with big onions for a bloke of his stature. I hope to see him back a fit in 2015 for Port Adelaide.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-04-30/colquhoun-to-miss-season-following-surgergy
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7536 times
Been liked: 10851 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:07 pm

hate seeing young lads with injuries like that.

not port related, but really hope morabito gets his chance this week and smashes it
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:10 pm

bennymacca wrote:hate seeing young lads with injuries like that.

not port related, but really hope morabito gets his chance this week and smashes it

Agreed, would love to see Morabito back playing for Freo.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10428 times
Been liked: 1544 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:23 pm

Booney wrote:Young Sammy Colquhoun has been in for an ACL reconstruction and will miss all of 2014....May 2015 the likely return.

This lad really has some dash and plays with big onions for a bloke of his stature. I hope to see him back a fit in 2015 for Port Adelaide.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-04-30/colquhoun-to-miss-season-following-surgergy

Would Sam be your only injury? Monfries im guessing will come back in this week?
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby GWW » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:49 pm

Also Redden.

Plus a few fringe players such as Stevenson.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:05 pm

GWW wrote:Also Redden.

Redden in your best side though?

I was talking with a port mate of mine aboutthe notion that port are fitter etc than the other sides. We both agreed that in this day and age, fitness gurus are all over the place, with the newest techniques, methods yada yada and that really they are that much fitter than the next side.
Hinkley and Burgess have set up a gruelling fitness program, yet im sure the other sides are doing comparable, but the most important think they have instilled is this belief that they are fitter/stronger/wont stop etc.

This has translated into them getting momentum in the final qtrs and the belief kicks in and the result is plain for all to see.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby GWW » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Redden is probably right on the fringe, so yeah not strictly first 22.

A lot would depend on what is happening with Lobbe and a few other KPPs.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:26 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
GWW wrote:Also Redden.

Redden in your best side though?

I was talking with a port mate of mine aboutthe notion that port are fitter etc than the other sides. We both agreed that in this day and age, fitness gurus are all over the place, with the newest techniques, methods yada yada and that really they are that much fitter than the next side.
Hinkley and Burgess have set up a gruelling fitness program, yet im sure the other sides are doing comparable, but the most important think they have instilled is this belief that they are fitter/stronger/wont stop etc.

This has translated into them getting momentum in the final qtrs and the belief kicks in and the result is plain for all to see.

True, but fitness comes in many forms and clearly the modern game requires endurance and power while needing to be able to perform one after the other and vice versa.

So while all clubs would be doing very similar work there would be a very fine line to walk to ensure the balance is right. Make no mistake, Adelaide suffered last year after losing Schwerdt to the Gold Coast and it has taken their senior sports management staff 12-18 months to find the right balance.

Only 4-5 years ago Geelong were working with sheer bulk and force ( Chapman, Ling, Harley, Mooney, Ottens ) and they set the trend. Now in 2015 it's speed and endurance.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7536 times
Been liked: 10851 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:30 pm

I think the conditioning programme would be tailored to each clubs individual game plan as well, so dont think there is a right or wrong answer.

In Ports case, they have build a plan around run and carry and breaking lines, they need the endurance more than say a side like Sydney that play on smaller grounds and have been largely defensive style game over recent times
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:35 pm

yeah good points, it is about conditioning your players for a specific game style. And once you get it right it can be a significant advantage.

As booney said too, belief is a huge motivating factor too.

injuries to the top end at any club has more of an impact than i think people give it credit too, and people are reluctant to use that as an excuse, even tough it could be valid.

The crows forward line is a good example - tex and tippett up there, and we look like world beaters. this gives the rest of the team confidence, and that flows through a lot. but instead put a very young jenkins and lynch up there and of course we would struggle. (not need to remind me about why tippett left or whatever, just thought ti was a good example)

similarly for port this year, having someone like robbie gray up and about up there would be insane for the confidence of the whole side.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:10 pm

Round 7 Review:

6-1. That is all that needs to be taken from that. Ugly win, but another 4 points in the bank before taking on the 2013 grand finalists. PAFC will know exactly where they stand after round 10, make no mistake.

Our key players were realtively well held, yet we managed to break even in most KPI's. Not much more to add, apart from we did what we had to do.

Top 5:

Polec- BOG. Saw exactly why Ken chased him so hard. 30 touches was in a way what we have come to expect, but to see him hit the scoreboard was most pleasing. Playing inspired footy.

White- Gets better from week to week and another one who is playing such inspiring footy for his new club. Averaging 2 goals a game as a high floating half forward, his pace and appetite for the contest is electrifying to watch.

Gray- AA form at the moment. Another prolific display, with 30 touches, but his most impressive work was around the stoppages. He and Wines were catalysts for port concerning contested possessions, and 6 inside 50's for the game topped off a damaging display.

Jonas- Smacked Cameron, to the point Cameron spent a majority of the 2nd half playing in the backlines. We saw what TJ was capable of in the 1st showdown last year, taking apart Walker, and now, talls or smalls are thrown at him on a weekly basis, and Tommy is growing with every challenge.

Schultz- Feasted on our I50 domination (71-39) kicking 6 and heading the coleman. Not conditions for the talls, but to clunk 7 marks, gave us a key target that GWS just didnt have for their attacking forays, not to mention a target simply too strong for young Frost and the fraile GWS defence.

Freo next saturday, what a game this shapes to be. With Collingwood, Geelong and believe it or not, GC breathing down our necks, any slip up becomes costly. On the other hand, a win gives us a 3 game buffer in the top 5 heading into the bye the week after.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1174 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue May 06, 2014 11:50 am

Port Adelaide averaging a crowd of 35, 429 per game so far this season - the highest in their history.
Adelaide also averaging 35, 823 per game, their highest in 5 years.

Adelaide Oval has clearly helped both but particularly the Power immensely!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL