Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Talk on the national game

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:03 pm

Red Rocket wrote:
Ted E Bear wrote:Fair go RR. That's a fair crowd playing against this mob. They are awful. Well done Port playing good footy. Brisbane for the spoon.

Disagree, perfect conditions and playing an opponent that you are almost guaranteed a win against.
Playing a fantastic, good brand of football and a real chance of a top 4 spot this year. Would of thought 40k crowd at worst.
Dont tell me the state squandered squillions on a new oval that will rarely be filled

Yeah agree,

Over 40k members isn't it now and still only just over 35k at a game especially considering there is still that 'novelty' 'new' factor to AO.

Its not a bad turnout but deep down I think the SANFL and the AFL clubs would have expected slightly bigger crowds especially early on. It does prove that simply having the city location doesn't automatically equal huge crowds as many people thought prior to the re development.

Also no surprise to see the Power put in their best performance for the year while 'the fuuuuucha' was sitting in the stands.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:05 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:Playing great footy and flying at the moment with record membership but still only 36,000 at the game.
When are the fans going to start turning up

Keep in mind Saturday afternoon is also Amateur/Country footy day, I'd say alot of Power supporters were either playing or watching/volunteering at their local club this afternoon. That was the case at my club today where the majority of people at my club are Power supporters

Kochie said on AFL360 before the showdown that in a poll of all Power members the Saturday Arvo timeslot was viewed the most popular attending timeslot for Port supporters. Based on that the Power have requested that timeslot as often as possible for home games from the AFL.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:12 pm

whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:Playing great footy and flying at the moment with record membership but still only 36,000 at the game.

Keep in mind Saturday afternoon is also Amateur/Country footy day, I'd say alot of Power supporters were either playing or watching/volunteering at their local club this afternoon. That was the case at my club today where the majority of people at my club are Power supporters

Kochie said on AFL360 before the showdown that in a poll of all Power members the Saturday Arvo timeslot was viewed the most popular attending timeslot for Port supporters. Based on that the Power have requested that timeslot as often as possible for home games from the AFL.

Oh ok then didn't see that. I find that really odd when Saturday arvo is when local football is played preventing a large number of people from going to both Power and Crows games. I'll go out on a limb and say the majority of those Power members who voted in that poll are not involved in local football at any level.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10388 times
Been liked: 1534 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:15 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Oh ok then didn't see that. I find that really odd when Saturday arvo is when local football is played preventing a large number of people from going to both Power and Crows games. I'll go out on a limb and say the majority of those Power members who voted in that poll are not involved in local football at any level.

Agree, you have to be cutting off a fair portion of your market by playing it up against the ammos and country.
whufc
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Was a good crowd today.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby carey » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:32 pm

RustyCage wrote:

Was a good crowd today.

Agreed. I think Red Rocket was looking for a bite a Saturday arvo game up against SAAFL and Country footy I think 36k is a good turn out. I know of 6 blokes just from my club that didn't go because they were playing plus 4 of them take the mrs and so on.

Let's look last year to that fixture I reckon it was just over 10k I guess 26k more isn't much hey :roll:
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby carey » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Ted E Bear wrote:Fair go RR. That's a fair crowd playing against this mob. They are awful. Well done Port playing good footy. Brisbane for the spoon.

Yep Brisbane are done. Rich and Louy gone for the year so are they. The spoon is there and watching Browny live today he needs to reassess where he is at such as shame as he was a champion at his peak.
carey
Coach

Postby Spargo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Let's not forget today also commemorated 10 years since the '04 flag v Brisbane. It was heavily pushed in the media here. I reckon considering this is apparently their ideal time slot also, that Koch, Thomas & co would be disappointed with today's no's.
Of the 36k there today, does that include the 8k that both port & the crows include in membership figures - that may not actually even attend?

Port's three victories this year have come against sides with a current 0 - 11 win/loss record.
WC in Perth then the cats will give a clearer form indication.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5526 times
Been liked: 5160 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby RustyCage » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:55 pm

Spargo wrote:Let's not forget today also commemorated 10 years since the '04 flag v Brisbane. It was heavily pushed in the media here. I reckon considering this is apparently their ideal time slot also, that Koch, Thomas & co would be disappointed with today's no's.
Of the 36k there today, does that include the 8k that both port & the crows include in membership figures - that may not actually even attend?

Port's three victories this year have come against sides with a current 0 - 11 win/loss record.
WC in Perth then the cats will give a clearer form indication.

KT said in the post match presentation today that preseason the club had budgeted for a crowd around the mid 20k mark today.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:48 am

whufc wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:

Disagree, perfect conditions and playing an opponent that you are almost guaranteed a win against.
Playing a fantastic, good brand of football and a real chance of a top 4 spot this year. Would of thought 40k crowd at worst.
Dont tell me the state squandered squillions on a new oval that will rarely be filled

Yeah agree,

Over 40k members isn't it now and still only just over 35k at a game especially considering there is still that 'novelty' 'new' factor to AO.

Its not a bad turnout but deep down I think the SANFL and the AFL clubs would have expected slightly bigger crowds especially early on. It does prove that simply having the city location doesn't automatically equal huge crowds as many people thought prior to the re development.

Also no surprise to see the Power put in their best performance for the year while 'the fuuuuucha' was sitting in the stands.

Hang on a moment.

Port now have over 51,000 members,yes, differing substantially from the 28,000 ( may be more now ) 11 game season ticket holders we have. They are distinctly different, you can have one or the other or both. Obviously the mix of supporter base in Adelaide Oval football members is also going to weight more in Adelaides favour than Ports, they have more supporters.

So whilst I agree Saturday was a perfect day to be at the Oval, it is also the same time all metro and country leagues are playing and Brisbane are about as poor as you can get when it comes to attracting their supporter base. Let's face, who would travel to watch them anyway!

So 36,000 in my view is a good crowd. Keep in mind we'd get 18-20,000 for a similar fixture 2 years ago.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby Fricky » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:50 am

Spargo wrote:Let's not forget today also commemorated 10 years since the '04 flag v Brisbane. It was heavily pushed in the media here. I reckon considering this is apparently their ideal time slot also, that Koch, Thomas & co would be disappointed with today's no's.

WC in Perth then the cats will give a clearer form indication

Well the Crows have won a game now ;) , but it's a good point that you raise.

While Port are playing a great style of footy and the club and supporters should be confident of finishing high on the ladder (3rd to 6th) their record at the bye will give a good indication as to where they're at. WCE - away, Geelong - home, GWS - away and Freo - home. Although being 3-1 now, Port could be 4-4 by Rd 9. Then again they could be 7-1 too. A big month ahead for the Power
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:54 am

Booney wrote:So whilst I agree Saturday was a perfect day to be at the Oval, it is also the same time all metro and country leagues are playing and Brisbane are about as poor as you can get when it comes to attracting their supporter base. Let's face, who would travel to watch them anyway!

So 36,000 in my view is a good crowd. Keep in mind we'd get 18-20,000 for a similar fixture 2 years ago.

Agreed, plenty of people would've been wrapped up in grass roots footy at the time.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:18 pm

Suri wrote:

WC in Perth then the cats will give a clearer form indication

Well the Crows have won a game now ;) , but it's a good point that you raise.

While Port are playing a great style of footy and the club and supporters should be confident of finishing high on the ladder (3rd to 6th) their record at the bye will give a good indication as to where they're at. WCE - away, Geelong - home, GWS - away and Freo - home. Although being 3-1 now, Port could be 4-4 by Rd 9. Then again they could be 7-1 too. A big month ahead for the Power

Exactly what I have been saying for a few weeks now.

Port are still a little off the pace of a top 4 side atm, and the next month will really test us. Given WCE's performance on the weekend, if they are missing a fair chunk of those names this week, i'd expect us to get the win, but the Cats and Dockers I reckon will show us where we stand.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby helicopterking » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:23 pm

I'd expect west coast to get Glass, ,Rosa,Shuey and maybe Masten back this weekend. Should be a great game.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:06 pm

helicopterking wrote:I'd expect west coast to get Glass, ,Rosa,Shuey and maybe Masten back this weekend. Should be a great game.

Also West Coast only played in a 30 minute game last week so should be very fresh .
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5526 times
Been liked: 5160 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby helicopterking » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:46 pm

Spargo wrote:
helicopterking wrote:I'd expect west coast to get Glass, ,Rosa,Shuey and maybe Masten back this weekend. Should be a great game.

Also West Coast only played in a 30 minute game last week so should be very fresh .

Our forwards will be extremely fresh. :oops:
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:43 pm

helicopterking wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Our forwards will be extremely fresh. :oops:

So are our defenders ;)
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Failed Creation » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:57 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Agreed, plenty of people would've been wrapped up in grass roots footy at the time.

That's the reason I hate Saturday afternoon AFL games.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3308 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:

Yeah agree,

Hang on a moment.

Port now have over 51,000 members,yes, differing substantially from the 28,000 ( may be more now ) 11 game season ticket holders we have. They are distinctly different, you can have one or the other or both. Obviously the mix of supporter base in Adelaide Oval football members is also going to weight more in Adelaides favour than Ports, they have more supporters.

So whilst I agree Saturday was a perfect day to be at the Oval, it is also the same time all metro and country leagues are playing and Brisbane are about as poor as you can get when it comes to attracting their supporter base. Let's face, who would travel to watch them anyway!

Yep but according to your club the saturday afternoon timeslot is the one which will maximise your attendances.

And I agree port have done a great job since Kochie has been there to become the number 1 AFL club in this city without doubt imho.
whufc
Coach

Postby carey » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:42 pm

Really for the life of me can't understand how people have picked the Saturday afternoon time slot as it's preferred. Crows supporters I can understand as generally they are an older fan base but putting games up against local footy both SANFL and Amateurs not to mention country footy just seem ridiculous to me. I was only present at the Brisbane game as I am currently injured otherwise I wouldn't of been there.

I won't be at Saturday afternoon games or any game that Hitchcock plays in I just can't watch a guy play AFL that I'm a better player than!
carey
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL