Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Talk on the national game

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby Failed Creation » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:40 pm

I know he's not nearly ready, but would it be worth giving Harvey a run in Butcher's place? Surely he can't do any worse...
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3308 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby nuggety goodness » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:57 pm

Failed Creation wrote:I know he's not nearly ready, but would it be worth giving Harvey a run in Butcher's place? Surely he can't do any worse...

What about the other big bloke Mason Shaw?!? Is that the one?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby GWW » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:02 pm

Shaw is out injured - broken arm I think.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:27 am

carey wrote:To be honest a 7 point loss is flattering. I thought we were shocking today had we played better opposition I think we would've got pants. Norths pressure was in good close and Bastinac basically did what he felt like doing but the game as a hole wasn't one for the Ages.

Move on to Brisbane and hopefully put in a better performance.

Who comes in for Angus?

If they bring in Hitchcock the crowd will be minus 1 I refuse to go if he is in the side

I tend to agree, decision making and skill was terrible, but credit to North they outplayed and outran Port, thought the pressure they applied really nullified Ports run and wore them down.

Port still had their chances though, if Wingard kicks the goal late in the game instead of smothered or one of the points go through then Port get out of Jail.

Monfries going down hurt, not only a certain goal gone but a real good target up forward
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Ted E Bear » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:58 am

All this talk about 'running out games' is a myth and been hyped up far too much in the media. It certainly wasnt there yesterday.
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:13 am

Ted E Bear wrote:All this talk about 'running out games' is a myth and been hyped up far too much in the media. It certainly wasnt there yesterday.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Monfries gone just after half time, Schulz with limited movement after half time and Wingard basically resricted to the forward 50 for the last quarter while Boak got a left shoulder "stinger" and spent more time on the pine than usual. Also think the coaches made a boo-boo with Pittard as the sub, not exactly an impact player with midfield dash.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby Ted E Bear » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:27 pm

Who is going to come in for Gus. Stewart or Young?
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Booney wrote:
Ted E Bear wrote:All this talk about 'running out games' is a myth and been hyped up far too much in the media. It certainly wasnt there yesterday.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Monfries gone just after half time, Schulz with limited movement after half time and Wingard basically resricted to the forward 50 for the last quarter while Boak got a left shoulder "stinger" and spent more time on the pine than usual. Also think the coaches made a boo-boo with Pittard as the sub, not exactly an impact player with midfield dash.

Come on Boon. Schultz is always injured. He loves it.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby RustyCage » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:27 pm

In terms of running out games I think last night will be an abnormality rather than the norm due to what happened in the game.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:09 pm

Firstly well done to the blokes on the field for leading the charge, well done to the likes of KT and Kochie off field for making the right noises and well done to all those that have backed the club and put their hands in their pockets.

Port Adelaide - 50,000 members.

=D> =D>

Seemed impossible two years ago......
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Ted E Bear » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:10 pm

Well done Port =D>
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Some important numbers for those who have lamented at Port Adelaides financial performance in the last 5 years.

Things have turned right around.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

AFTER reaching its target of 40,000 members last year, the Port Adelaide Football Club has again reached a significant membership achievement by signing up more than 50,000 members just weeks into the 2014 season.

The historic achievement for the club, which has seen its membership figure grow by more than 20,000 since 2010, comes on the back of its successful move to the redeveloped Adelaide Oval at the end of March.

A crowd of over 50,000 spectators attended the historic first Showdown at the ground - a Power home game - where it defeated the Adelaide Crows by 54 points.

Port Adelaide now sits in the top seven of club membership figures and is rapidly gaining on its competition.

Only the Victorian powerhouses Collingwood (71,760 members), Richmond (62,826), Hawthorn (64,140), Essendon (54,537), Perth-based West Coast (53,588) and local rivals Adelaide (53,026) have higher membership tallies.

Port Adelaide's chief executive Keith Thomas hailed the achievement as significant for the club's efforts to embrace its heritage with a fully integrated 'Magpies' football program in the SANFL and aspirations to achieve sustained success in both the AFL and local league into the future.

"This is an absolute credit to our fantastic supporters who have embraced the direction the club is going in," Mr Thomas told portadelaidefc.com.au.

"To take on the big powerhouse clubs of the competition we need a large and unified membership and supporter base.

"That is what this figure represents and will allow us to build on into the future.

"We're working towards sustained success nationally, sustained success here in South Australia and we're doing it together as one Port Adelaide community."

While the club's successful campaign last season and promising start to 2014 has been beneficial to the club, Mr Thomas said the milestone was reached thanks to a concerted effort from the entirety of its football operations.

"Success on-field isn't enough to get this sort of figure, although it definitely helps and Ken Hinkley and Darren Burgess and our entire football department need to take the lion's share of credit for the work they've done to produce the exciting brand of footy they have since arriving at the club," Mr Thomas said.

"Our member services team has worked hard to help as many supporters become members and have been a critical piece of the puzzle.

"Our gameday team has also delivered a fantastic entertainment package at Adelaide Oval before each match at home.

"We need to keep this momentum going on and off the field if we want to become a standard for how AFL clubs should operate and a footy club that more people want to be part of."

Building on an internal philosophy to 'make its community proud', Port Adelaide has ticked numerous off-field boxes.

It was ranked first in the AFL for overall member satisfaction, member connection, member communication and membership arrangements in 2013, and also rated highly in media and digital growth and performance and sponsor brand recall and recognition.

Breaking the 50,000-member barrier will have significant benefit to Port Adelaide off field this year, with plenty of growth potential along its journey into the future.

The more than 20% growth on last year's total membership figure equates to an almost $2 million uplift in club revenue, while the club is also set to benefit on game days after more than doubling its number of 11-game season ticket holders since 2012.

Now focussed on the selling of three-game and general admission memberships in addition to continuing sales of other reserved seat categories with blockbuster games like this weeks' 2004 premiership commemoration against Brisbane, ANZAC Round against Geelong in Round 6 and night blockbusters against Hawthorn, Essendon, Sydney and Carlton, there is plenty of value still available for more members to join.

And with its world class stadium - labelled by some as on par with the MCG for football grounds in Australia - the club is determined to reach its next milestone quickly.

"We won't be complacent and rest on this achievement because we know there are still plenty of Port Adelaide supporters out there who haven't yet signed up," Mr Thomas said.

"What we hope is that they've seen what we did in our first game at Adelaide Oval in Round 2, because it's just the start of what we'll be doing at games this year.

"We're making going to the footy a fun family day out and the feedback we've received already has been very positive.

"I know everyone involved here - especially our players - has been really impressed with that first Showdown, so we're determined to keep bringing members on board this year and taking them on the Port Adelaide journey."
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:16 pm

Tremendous effort Pt Adelaide! Have come such a long way in the past couple of years =D> =D>
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Ted E Bear » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:23 pm

How many people will you get to home games this season (besides showdowns) do you think? depends on games and weather I know but what sort of numbers do you think?
Will the crows be sold out every game?
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Postby Hazbeen » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:28 pm

38 to 40K would be good

I'm going this week with my son after his junior game as we play at our closest venue to town. Hope to get to 3 or 4 more during the year.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Fricky » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:40 pm

Hazbeen wrote:38 to 40K would be good

I'm going this week with my son after his junior game as we play at our closest venue to town. Hope to get to 3 or 4 more during the year.

With the game celebrating the 10 yr anniversary of their Flag you would hope they'd get close to a sell out. Being a Saturday afternoon game doesn't help.

Port should win this game by 15 goals.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Ted E Bear » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:11 pm

10 year anniversary. Who cares about that.

15 goals is dreaming but anything less would be a win for you crows. Clutching at straws now
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:17 pm

Ted E Bear wrote:How many people will you get to home games this season (besides showdowns) do you think? depends on games and weather I know but what sort of numbers do you think?
Will the crows be sold out every game?

11 game season ticket sales are over 27,000 compared to 15,500 last year.

These people have paid for these games so you would expect the majority of them there, call it 25,000.

With additional Port members being Adelaide Oval football members, another 2-4000.

Walk up punters on the day, 2-3000?

I think at least 30-33,000 against Brisbane this week in a game with a poor drawing opponent. The following home game against Geelong at 4:10 Sunday of the ANZAC long weekend, I'd think a little more.

I'd like the average crowd to nudge 30,000 this year, at least.

As far as Adelaide goes, they "sold out" the game last week and there was only 47,000 there. So the "SOLD" sign might be up, but loads of empty seats. As with the Showdown, "SOLD OUT" in a 53,000 seat stadium and just over 50,500 bums on seats. I dunno......
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:16 pm

Booney wrote:As far as Adelaide goes, they "sold out" the game last week and there was only 47,000 there. So the "SOLD" sign might be up, but loads of empty seats. As with the Showdown, "SOLD OUT" in a 53,000 seat stadium and just over 50,500 bums on seats. I dunno......

One thing that doesn't help with crowd numbers, is the SMA doing away with electronic ticket transfer, which is annoying as ****!

Means the only way members tickets can be transferred, is to hand the physical card to someone else.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:45 pm

Sam Gray upgraded to the senior list to replace Mason Shaw who is on the long term injury list.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL