North Melbourne

Talk on the national game

Re: North Melbourne 2016

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:54 pm

Dutchy wrote:Remind you all that North are actually 11-6 not 6-11....despite the recent lull are as good a chance of a flag this year as anyone in the 8 except the Hawks.

You forgot the little smilie thingy on the end of that.......... Coz surely you are taking the p*ss with that comment.
They have no chance of winning the premiership this year!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2234 times
Been liked: 2528 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:09 pm

Apart from the Hawks, tell me another team that is doing everything right at the moment? GF is still over 2 months away.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3565 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:16 pm

Sydney and GWS.

I'd love to see North win it over any of those teams in the 8 but I don't see it happening.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2234 times
Been liked: 2528 times

Postby stan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:59 pm

The feeling seems to be that he shouldn’t go on. But really his form hasn’t been too bad, even for a guy his age. If you look at his stats for an indication, he has fallen away slightly. In 2014 he averaged 25.4 disposals per game, 2015 22.8 and then this season so far 20.5. Ok its tending down, however in 2014 he kicked 29 goals, in 2015 24 goals and so far this season 29 goals with a few left to play. So what does that say, playing forward more is one and yes stats can be deceiving, but this gives us an idea really.

So as a playing forgetting his age he is going ok, finding the ball and kicking some goals. This says more about Norths list than about him. I think he could go on next year as he is playing well enough, however for long term planning and development, is this the best thing, not so sure. Remembering that North have Petrie, Waite, Swallow, Firrito, Higgins, Thompson, Dal Santo, Wells and Gibson also pushing up there in age as well.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:Apart from the Hawks, tell me another team that is doing everything right at the moment? GF is still over 2 months away.

Whislt they are not doing "everything right" the teams that I think are in front of you are Adelaide, Sydney, GWS and Geelong.
stan
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:08 pm

stan wrote:The feeling seems to be that he shouldn’t go on. But really his form hasn’t been too bad, even for a guy his age. If you look at his stats for an indication, he has fallen away slightly. In 2014 he averaged 25.4 disposals per game, 2015 22.8 and then this season so far 20.5. Ok its tending down, however in 2014 he kicked 29 goals, in 2015 24 goals and so far this season 29 goals with a few left to play. So what does that say, playing forward more is one and yes stats can be deceiving, but this gives us an idea really.

So as a playing forgetting his age he is going ok, finding the ball and kicking some goals. This says more about Norths list than about him. I think he could go on next year as he is playing well enough, however for long term planning and development, is this the best thing, not so sure. Remembering that North have Petrie, Waite, Swallow, Firrito, Higgins, Thompson, Dal Santo, Wells and Gibson also pushing up there in age as well.

Dutchy's been very quiet on this, as opposed to his views on Ports list. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10816 times

Postby stan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:19 pm

Spargo wrote:
stan wrote:
Spargo wrote:
MW wrote:I think what sums up Boomer is when he was asked if he will play in 2017, he said words to the effect that I want too and think I can get to 450 games...I did not recall/read that he mentioned wanting a premiership with his teammates.

I think that's how you'd like to sum him up - not surprising.
I've lost count of the amount of times he's said that winning a flag is his number one motivation & what keeps him going the most.
What also isn't surprising are the posters hanging shit on him ATM - predictable.

Honestly you would have to be the last person to complain about anyone hanging shit on here.

We all pick our marks, Stan. I'd like to think if a bloke from any club was playing a milestone game that I'd refrain from sticking the boots in.
But thanks for the personal assessment :lol:

When it comes to it, your ability to hang the shit is up with the best. I'm jsut saying you cant go and bag the crap out of everyone and then get all snooty when everyone then comes for Harvey.
stan
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:38 pm

stan wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Apart from the Hawks, tell me another team that is doing everything right at the moment? GF is still over 2 months away.

Whislt they are not doing "everything right" the teams that I think are in front of you are Adelaide, Sydney, GWS and Geelong.

Thats my point, Hawks are the only ones doing everything right at the moment, with plenty of time left in the season any of the other 7 could make a strong run at the flag from here.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Spargo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:53 pm

Spargo wrote:
stan wrote:
Spargo wrote:
MW wrote:I think what sums up Boomer is when he was asked if he will play in 2017, he said words to the effect that I want too and think I can get to 450 games...I did not recall/read that he mentioned wanting a premiership with his teammates.

I think that's how you'd like to sum him up - not surprising.
I've lost count of the amount of times he's said that winning a flag is his number one motivation & what keeps him going the most.
What also isn't surprising are the posters hanging shit on him ATM - predictable.

Honestly you would have to be the last person to complain about anyone hanging shit on here.

We all pick our marks, Stan. I'd like to think if a bloke from any club was playing a milestone game that I'd refrain from sticking the boots in.
But thanks for the personal assessment :lol:

When it comes to it, your ability to hang the shit is up with the best. I'm jsut saying you cant go and bag the crap out of everyone and then get all snooty when everyone then comes for Harvey.[/quote]
I'll take the first bit as a compliment ;)
Snooty? Nah mate, I don't take it that seriously.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5523 times
Been liked: 5159 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:35 pm

From afl.com

SAM GIBSON is in doubt for North Melbourne's clash against the Sydney Swans in Hobart on Saturday after suffering a broken nose and minor facial injuries in a gym accident on Tuesday.

North coach Brad Scott told reporters on Wednesday he was optimistic Gibson would be available to take on the Swans, and was "really hopeful" Ben Brown (knee) and Scott Thompson (groin) would return in the same game after missing last week's loss against Hawthorn.

Scott said Gibson had been hit in the head by a barbell after slipping in the gym and had suffered a broken nose and "a pretty nasty gash on his face".

"He's not OK, he's pretty sore at the moment," Scott said.

"But the fortunate thing was it happened here, it happened with our club doctor here and he was sent to hospital just to rule out any facial fractures, which he's clear of.

"He's a bit uncomfortable but we're still really optimistic he'll be available to play this week."
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 451 times
Been liked: 1222 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:19 pm

NMFC has decided not to re-contract 4 players

From Norths website

North Melbourne has made the difficult decision not to re-contract four of its most decorated players.

The club has advised Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Nick Dal Santo and Michael Firrito that 2016 would be their last season at Arden Street.

Harvey’s illustrious career in the royal blue and white has spanned an incredible 21-seasons.

Durable, reliable and elite in every category, ‘Boomer’ will leave a profound legacy.

Currently with a record 430 games under his belt and 516 goals, Harvey’s list of achievements also includes a premiership in 1999, an EJ Whitten Medal, five All-Australian team honours and captaincy in 2008, a record five Syd Barker medals, North Melbourne Team of the Century and Shinboner of the Era (2005-2015).

Since arriving at Arden Street via the 2000 Draft, Petrie has epitomised North’s famed Shinboner Spirit with his team first attitude and courage.

A versatile key position player and All-Australian in 2011, he was the club’s leading goal-kicker five times in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015.

Petrie became just the fifth North player to reach the 300-game milestone and represented Australia in the International Rules in 2008.

Firrito is a fierce competitor who never takes a backward step. Stoic in defence, he has been a galvanising force that held the club together in the toughest of times.

Often given roles on much larger opponents down back, ‘Spud’ has been a standout since being elevated off the club’s Rookie List in 2003 and is considered the ultimate club-man due to his unparalleled courage and bravery.

He won a Rising Star nomination in 2004 and represented Australia in the International Rules series in 2008.

After crossing to North from St Kilda, Dal Santo’s leadership, skill and class helped catapult the Roos into three consecutive finals campaigns including two preliminary finals in 2014 and 2015.

A smooth mover and elite ball user, he has played more than 300 games.

An All-Australian on three occasions, ‘Dal’ also featured in three Grand Finals and was runner-up for the Brownlow medal in 2011.

The club is indebted to these four individuals for their professionalism, leadership, attitude and competitiveness.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:23 pm

Wow, interesting timing.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3918 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:30 pm

Looks like north have decided that this is their last roll of the dice with their current list.

There has been talk in the last day or two that these players dont know if its their last game coming up, so the club obviously decided to tell them, which is probably a good thing.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Spargo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Potentially their last home game on Saturday night.
I understand the call on Petrie, Dal & Firrito.
Harvey I'm not so sure, he was best on ground against the top side last week, still never gets caught & is an elite kick. Time will tell.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5523 times
Been liked: 5159 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:41 pm

Agree completely, Id play Boomer for one more, his form is good enough, let alone what he provides off the field.

Petrie, Spud and Dal are done. Obviously the club had to wait to see if they wanted to retire but when push came to shove something had to be announced for the benefit of everyone.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:51 pm

It is interesting that they didnt ask them to retire rather than just telling them they have to. Im sure petrie and firrito were done anyway, so why not let them call a presser to say they are going to retire at the end of the season?

how would boomer go in the B&F this year? Maybe wells ahead of him but there wouldnt be too many (im probably forgetting someone)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:59 pm

Im guessing they asked them all to retire, but they refused and may look elsewhere next year.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:05 pm

Someone like Gold Coast could look at NDS for a year as they rebuild their midfield from all the injuries. You would think the rest of them are done though.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:Im guessing they asked them all to retire, but they refused and may look elsewhere next year.

Would think Harvey may get 1 year elsewhere, others are cooked
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL